Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It was a somber day yesterday with all the 9/11 remembrance. I am thinking that this may have been the climax of such commemorations, as by the time the 20th anniversary rolls around a little more healing will have taken place.

R.I.P.: 'Spartacus' star Andy Whitfield, 39, dies of lymphoma.
R.I.P.: Actor Cliff Robertson dies at 88.

Somber Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: DuPont Advion Ant Annihilation.
Monster Corp.
Mad Shapes 2.
Links: The Funniest, Strangest Dead Island Glitches So Far.
Stories: F-16s scrambled in two flight incidents.
F-16 pilot was ready to give her life on Sept. 11.
Science: A long mission to ‘Mars’ for Colombian man. Thanks HARDOCP.
Acronym FAIL.
Media: What do the Godfather and Henry IV have in common?
Tetris Art of the Day.
Why so serious done in the style of Mark Hamill.
Follow-up: Indonesia Smoking Boy Update.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2011, 08:54 kanniballl

Sepharo wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 18:59:
I remember finding out about the events in a totally fucked up way from my history teacher.
I didn't find out what was going on until I turned the TV on at home after a weird bus ride with kids looking for planes out the windows. I guess lots of other classes turned on their TVs and watched at school but this particular teacher didn't and broke the news in a weird way so as not to alarm anyone.

My brother's middle school was trying to keep it under wraps, which was pointless because it shared the building/hallways with the high school and they already knew (through cell phones + radios + etc).

I was in my 20s and was commuting to college, but had two younger brothers in high school + middle school. I was listed as being able to take them out in case of family emergencies and remember signing something with my mom to that affect that I could do that sort of stuff without their intervention / letters / phonecalls / etc. Since I'd be the closest to the school in case of emergency.

The High School people still remembered me and were very quick to let me pick up one of my brothers. He was ready by the time I got there.

The Middle School wouldn't let me bring my other brother home, not unless I had a note from my mother It wasn't even a parental thing, I offered to get my dad on the phone and they still refused.

Apparently my logical argument of "that makes no sense" + "his paperwork explicitly says I can take him out of school without having to reach my mother" wouldn't overcome her idiot mind. She actually thought my brother would be better off staying in class.

Eventually I freaked out and said to give me my brother now or I'll find him myself... I wish I could say it was a macho as it reads but I at that point I'd emotionally "had it" and probably came across as more pathetic. The *itch eventaully let me take him.

- Not without a note from your mother
- My mother might be dead, how about a call from my father.
- No, not without a note from your mother
This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2011, 09:05.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Andy Whitfield Sep 12, 2011, 19:35 PropheT

MattyC wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 11:49:
Agreed. Thought he was doing better too :/

Yeah

The last I'd read it sounded like he was going to recover and maybe head back to work sometime in the future. Wasn't expecting to see this when I checked the site today.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2011, 18:59 Sepharo

I remember finding out about the events in a totally fucked up way from my history teacher.

Teacher: "There's been an accident at the World Trade Center in New York"

*blank stares* because almost nobody knew what the World Trade Center was

Teacher: "Also there's a fire at the Pentagon, so they're going to let school out early."

*wtf looks* how is this even related and why do we get to go home?

I didn't find out what was going on until I turned the TV on at home after a weird bus ride with kids looking for planes out the windows. I guess lots of other classes turned on their TVs and watched at school but this particular teacher didn't and broke the news in a weird way so as not to alarm anyone.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2011, 18:41 zirik

kanniballl wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 10:11:
Yeh, it was a messed up day 10 years ago.

sept 11 changed a lot of peoples lives. i still remember waking up late that day to get a call from my mom telling me to watch the news on TV. this was back in los angeles where i worked 80 hrs a week for a firm that designed govt facilities overseas. when i finally got to work the receptionist looked surprised and told me that everyone was sent home for the day. i found out the next day that all of our projects were either put on hold or have been scraped so that all the security details can be reviewed or revamped. i had to look for another job after that and landed one of the most satisfying career of my life... working with the men and women who flew combat missions for the armed forces. veterans from ww2 up to the iraq wars.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2011, 11:50 kanniballl

scratz wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 11:39:
Speaking as someone that has had cancer claim a number of people in my life circle, I still find it terrifying that a man who is in the prime of his life can go from Spartacus-level fitness and health to dead in less than a year.

It's actually humbling and scary when you hear that someone A) that young and B) that physically fit can go so quickly.

Not to sound selfish, but it some ways I think "Damn, what chance does that give someone like me." Not that I have it, but just that it can come out of left-field.

I've known a few people that had cancer, some that fell and some that are beating it (so far). Some that smoked and stuff, others that had a dang healthy lifestyle. It's a damn scary thing.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

8. Re: Andy Whitfield Sep 12, 2011, 11:49 MattyC

kanniballl wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 11:03:
Yeh, that's a shame. Andy Whitfield was friggin' young.

I think he did a great job in Spartacus: Blood and Sand.

Agreed. Thought he was doing better too :/

7. Re: Andy Whitfield Sep 12, 2011, 11:42 Cutter

kanniballl wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 11:03:

While the show had great writers and directors, I felt he did a great job portraying the role. I wonder how the next season is going to be with a new actor.

Agreed. That really is too bad and far too young. I liked him a lot in that show. I thought he had beat it and was coming back.

Too bad about Cliff as well. Brilliant friggin actor, though 88 is a good long run. He was in so many good films, Midway, Three Days of the Condor, The Devil's Brigade, PT 109, etc.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2011, 11:39 scratz

Speaking as someone that has had cancer claim a number of people in my life circle, I still find it terrifying that a man who is in the prime of his life can go from Spartacus-level fitness and health to dead in less than a year.

5. Re: Andy Whitfield Sep 12, 2011, 11:30 Rattlehead

RIP Andy Whitfield.  

4. Andy Whitfield Sep 12, 2011, 11:03 kanniballl

While the show had great writers and directors, I felt he did a great job portraying the role. I wonder how the next season is going to be with a new actor.

-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2011, 10:11 kanniballl

Yeh, it was a messed up day 10 years ago. It was the scariest couple of hours in my life since I couldn't reach my mom... who worked a couple of floors above where the first plane hit. I think we didn't find out until 11AM or Noon whether she was OK.

I count my blessings that she made it, but it's not going to be a day I'm going to forget any time soon.

Honestly, had she made it to work 1 minute earlier the day would've turned out a lot worse for us. She was 1st or 2nd in line for the elevator when it came crashing down. So she would have either been in a free falling elevator or in the office where nobody in her group made it.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2011, 10:32.

-Fry, Futurama

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2011, 10:11 InBlack

Yesterday I was at a barbeque at a friends house who is from the States but lives in my country for the past few years. So naturally among other things we talked a bit about the Sept. 11th attacks.

One thing he said struck me as something very novel that I have not heard from another american before. He said and I quote: "When the towers fell and the shit hit the fan I had this sense of impeeding doom, not because of any further terrorist attacks that might (or not) hit the States but because so many normal and ordinary people around me were going - Fuck Yeah USA! Time for us to kick some ass again..."

Anyway we were celebrating his daughter's birthday, who coincidentally was born on....yeah September 11th.

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2011, 09:59 nin

Love ya, New York!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo