Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Sabotage Times - How Call Of Duty Ruined Video Games.
Now we’ve got Modern Warfare 2/Black Ops and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 being the most played multiplayer shooters. They both just have teams shoot at each other for about 10 minutes, and then tally the deaths. The skill level for such shooters has dropped due to the addition of ‘perks’ and weapon modifications such as ‘rapid fire’. Now if you have a character in Modern Warfare 2 or Black Ops who has a sub-machine gun with the rapid fire attachment and the perks made for a sprinter then you can sprint around dodging shots and the rapid fire attachment means even if your opponent is more accurate, you can get more shots in. It completely removes any need for skill. For me this destroys any idea of fun I had with these games, they basically play the single-player for you and the multiplayer is based on pure luck more than anything else. A game journalist who goes by the name Total Biscuit had the greatest description I have ever heard for these games, “It’s Angry Birds in FPS form”, referring to the simplistic repetitive nature of them as well as their massive marketing.

View
14. Re: Op Ed Sep 11, 2011, 23:49 Beamer

Jerykk wrote on Sep 11, 2011, 20:10:
I do blame CoD for popularizing the whole multiplayer unlockable fad. Now every developer feels it necessary to include such a system, even in games that don't benefit from it. Tribes: Ascend is a good example of this. They've added a bunch of redundant weapons, removed the freeform loadout system and restricted you to predefined loadouts that can only carry two weapons. Why? So that they can implement an unlockable system that forces you to grind to unlock said loadouts. It's absurd and goes against everything the series has stood for.

Then there's the fact that unlockable systems are inherently unbalanced. A level 70 player with all the weapons/items/perks has a pretty significant advantage over a level 1 player with none of those things. People will argue that skill can overcome this advantage and while this is true, it doesn't change the fact that the advantage exists. If two equally-skilled players fight one another and one is level 1 while the other is level 70, the level 70 player will probably win 9/10 times. In addition, if a player is level 70, chances are good that he has significantly more experience than level 1 players, so he's getting the unlockable advantage on top of his skill advantage.

I disagree with this slightly.
In some ways it echoes my WoW arguments, in that all that is rewarded is time, not skill.
But I see it more as the FPS equivalent of Diablo looting. New perks are just the carrot on the end of a stick that keeps getting longer. Yes, you can argue that it's like an MMORPG, but you grind in those games. You don't grind in CoD, you play, just like in Diablo. I also heavily disagree with your "9 times out of ten," I never once played a CoD game long enough to get my hands on an AK47 but I certainly destroyed thousands of people that had.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Sep 11, 13:42 Re: Op Ed Fletch
  16. Sep 12, 00:34  Re: Op Ed Wildone
  19. Sep 12, 10:28   Re: Op Ed Beamer
  20. Sep 12, 10:31    Re: Op Ed Beamer
  21. Sep 12, 21:46    Re: Op Ed yonder