Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Modding Dead Island FOV, FPS, Blur, and More

this thread on the Steam Users' Forums puts out the call to arms to the modding community to jump in and create fixes and workarounds for some of the perceived shortcomings of Dead Island, Techland's just-released zombie game. This includes links to other threads with info on how to change FOV, change mouse sensitivity, improve framerates, and more. There's also a warning about how messing with games on Steam can earn one a VAC ban, noting that this may not be a danger if one follows the offered guidelines, but also noting that this does not mean these methods are "100% safe from vac ban," they sound "promising and less risky." That said, they also point out that: "if you are vac banned, it's for life, it cannot be undone, it can be for all your vac secured games, steam support cannot help you, it's like the worse [sic] thing that could ever happen to you." Thanks Acleacius.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Modding Dead Island FOV, FPS, Blur, and More Sep 11, 2011, 13:27 HorrorScope

Here's my situation. I want to get the game, right now reading forums I'm not feeling good about the game working well in 4 player coop. I would be getting the 4-pack. So fix it up and I'm ready to buy, don't and I'll continue to sit on the sidelines.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Modding Dead Island FOV, FPS, Blur, and More Sep 11, 2011, 12:53 space captain

from the thread posted:

You need to patch one of the DLLs to load the edited files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicFork
change the bytes from 0x17134E to 0x171354 in engine_x86_rwdi.dll to "E9 8F 02 00 00 90"

is this true? that might cause a ban from some kind of steam file auto-check or something, but thats just a guess

Go forth, and kill!

36. Re: Modding Dead Island FOV, FPS, Blur, and More Sep 11, 2011, 10:51 Asmo

nin wrote on Sep 10, 2011, 22:44:

ps. If you want to turn off videos/logos at the start, go to the steam properties for the game, go to launch options and put in "-nologos".

You, sir, win a prize. Thank you.

Full credit to 'some random guy' on the Steam forums, I'm just sharing the love. ; )

35. Re: Modding Dead Island FOV, FPS, Blur, and More Sep 11, 2011, 10:50 Asmo

Creston wrote on Sep 10, 2011, 23:25:
You can get banned for modding a damn game? What kind of crap is that?

Creston

I think the concern from Steam forum users was that there are things you can edit in the easily accessible files such as how long before your weapons break, movement speed etc. You could make it so weapons never break, for example (or take so much dmg to break that it's virtually the same thing), and no one else in co-op would have the same advantage. Which is kinda pointless of course because it's co-op.

And since this seems to be co-op MP only, I wouldn't see why any server would be VAC'd in the first place.

Krovven wrote on Sep 11, 2011, 01:52:
I love how people jump to the conclusion this equals people being banned for editing config files.

The person with all the config edits is just covering his ass with the warning.

I've never, ever, heard of someone being banned for editing config files.

The initial edits were made by extracting the .scr files from the .pak's, editing them and putting them back in, which was why people were originally telling others to beware a possible VAC ban (although I don't think anyone confirmed that DI coop would be VAC monitored at all). Probably a bit of a knee jerk but when it comes to getting your entire account banned from VAC secured MP servers, it's a bit of a big thing.

34. Re: Modding Dead Island FOV, FPS, Blur, and More Sep 11, 2011, 09:12 jimnms

Acleacius wrote on Sep 11, 2011, 01:10:
Just glad I didn't buy Oblivion or Fallout 3 on Steam, since I'm using literately 100s of mods.

Those games aren't MP and don't use VAC.

MeanJim on Steam

33. Re: Modding Dead Island FOV, FPS, Blur, and More Sep 11, 2011, 05:38 Prez

I think the difference between "modding" and "cheating" would be pretty apparent.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

32. Re: Modding Dead Island FOV, FPS, Blur, and More Sep 11, 2011, 03:22 Jerykk

The Deep Silver guys have stated that these mods will not get you a VAC ban. If you want to get a VAC ban, the easiest way to do it is to edit the exe and dll files for a popular, competitive multiplayer game.  

31. Re: Modding Dead Island FOV, FPS, Blur, and More Sep 11, 2011, 03:19 Prez

Steam games get modded all the time - there has never been a ban because of it that I know of.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

30. Re: Modding Dead Island FOV, FPS, Blur, and More Sep 11, 2011, 02:44 Dirwulf

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 10, 2011, 21:32:
Dirwulf wrote on Sep 10, 2011, 20:31:
necrosis wrote on Sep 10, 2011, 19:11:
PHJF wrote on Sep 10, 2011, 18:00:
L
As for those talking about the VAC ban issues welcome to the future of gaming. If you want more examples: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/10/starcraft-ban/

You mean the guy who used a trainer ONLINE in MULTIPLAYER and got banned? Because he wanted to hack achievements? Really? You're using THAT as an example?

You mean the guy who used a trainer for single player and didn't turn it off when he went to multiplayer (or kept activating it) because he was playing skirmish matches against the AI and not using it for achievements?

I mean don't let facts get in the way or anything, especially when you link to the article and don't even bother reading it.

I did read it. He played a multiplayer game WITH A FRIEND, against the AI. Not a solo game. I think its YOU who needs to read the article. There are single player cheats already built into the game, including GOD MODE. There was no reason for him to be using a trainer except to get achievements dishonestly. He got caught and whined like a little bitch, just like most cheaters who get caught.

29. Re: Modding Dead Island FOV, FPS, Blur, and More Sep 11, 2011, 01:52 Krovven

I love how people jump to the conclusion this equals people being banned for editing config files.

The person with all the config edits is just covering his ass with the warning.

I've never, ever, heard of someone being banned for editing config files.

28. Re: Modding Dead Island FOV, FPS, Blur, and More Sep 11, 2011, 01:10 Acleacius

Just glad I didn't buy Oblivion or Fallout 3 on Steam, since I'm using literately 100s of mods.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

27. Re: Modding Dead Island FOV, FPS, Blur, and More Sep 10, 2011, 23:25 Creston

You can get banned for modding a damn game? What kind of crap is that?

Creston

26. Re: Modding Dead Island FOV, FPS, Blur, and More Sep 10, 2011, 22:44 nin

ps. If you want to turn off videos/logos at the start, go to the steam properties for the game, go to launch options and put in "-nologos".

You, sir, win a prize. Thank you.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

25. Re: Modding Dead Island FOV, FPS, Blur, and More Sep 10, 2011, 22:22 Asmo

These fixes have allowed the game to actually be playable for me...

I use ESDF (you know, the stock key layout from games such as DOOM which preceded WASD by a long way) and the default keybind system left a bunch of functions on F even if you changed activate/use to something else. Only by editing the inputs.scr could you permanently fix this.

I have a 5970, so it handles stuff like AA/Aniso/high shadow maps easily, but of course you can only enable this stuff in the video.scr file.

I still cannot use eyefinity because the UI is enormous and out of scale, and crossfire because I don't want to bork with my driver loadout which is currently running fine for most other titles.

FOV on a 1920x1200 monitor was ridiculous, a must change, not in the menu.

Clunky movement response was fixed with some changes to acceleration numbers for key presses.

Oh yeah, and I'm now using shader model 4 and have turned off motion blur, bloom and weapon blur... Looks much better.

Now the game is playable. I don't want to cheat or have an advantage, but I want to be able to play the damn game I paid for. The fact that these settings are all quite easily found by people who have only been exposed to the code for five or so fucking days (but aren't fixed or addressed by the software producer) is criminal.

re: turning off VAC, you can't (well, you can cheat and get caught, then you get VAC banned and don't have to worry about it anymore). Just remember that once you are VAC banned, you can NEVER play on a VAC secured server (many multiplayer games are VAC secured) again on that account.

And the chances of getting VAC banned for this? Slim to none imo. All edits are placed in the Documents\Dead Island\out folder, which are settings that override anything in the data0.pak file. No .exes are change, no hex editing required, so it's doubtful VAC will see this at all.

24. Re: Modding Dead Island FOV, FPS, Blur, and More Sep 10, 2011, 21:48 MrRadicalEd

The whole title for this information is a misnomer.

Moog has it right. You have a poorly translated port to the PC with no accommodations for the multitude of options available.

So, we spoiled PC users have to dig in to stashed config files to change these settings. If we are talking about modifications, than yes; a trainer or other piece of software that changes these aspects would result in a VAC ban.. but no... they are just config files....

Moog wrote on Sep 10, 2011, 18:54:
Such a piss poor console port.
Have to edit a file to enable vsynch.
Restricted FOV and you risk a VAC ban to work around that.
In-game voice comms permanently on!!!
Having lowered mouse sensitivity to play the game, mouse is unusably slow in the menus.
Lack of graphics options.

After such an amazing initial trailer, Dead Island is the most disappointing game of the year for me... Dead on Arrival Island, more like!

23. Re: Modding Dead Island FOV, FPS, Blur, and More Sep 10, 2011, 21:32 The Half Elf

Dirwulf wrote on Sep 10, 2011, 20:31:
L
As for those talking about the VAC ban issues welcome to the future of gaming. If you want more examples: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/10/starcraft-ban/

You mean the guy who used a trainer ONLINE in MULTIPLAYER and got banned? Because he wanted to hack achievements? Really? You're using THAT as an example?

You mean the guy who used a trainer for single player and didn't turn it off when he went to multiplayer (or kept activating it) because he was playing skirmish matches against the AI and not using it for achievements?

I mean don't let facts get in the way or anything, especially when you link to the article and don't even bother reading it.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

22. Re: Modding Dead Island FOV, FPS, Blur, and More Sep 10, 2011, 21:04 Halo

Well back in the classic days of Quake you could change your FOV to see around corners and such if you knew what you were doing. It was easy to be a rocket arena champ if you knew how to edit your configs. I used to change my Counter Strike configs so that the gun model wasn't on the screen. I did it at a lan and everybody went nuts... oops  

21. Re: Modding Dead Island FOV, FPS, Blur, and More Sep 10, 2011, 20:56 Acleacius

Is there a way to permanently disable VAC?

I would do it in a second, don't care about not playing in a VAC game or achievements. I'm new to Steam but it seems to force VAC on you as default, even though most people don't understand it or know about it (I sure didn't). Then without any warning you get permanently banned for editing a file for fov, wtf?

In regards to the link below about using a trainer, if we can choose No VAC and playing a COOP game, how the hell can you cheat in a COOP game. IF you use a trainer to give yourself extra cash, then buy weapons to give to all the players, who the hell is getting cheated?

The literal definition of cheating is 'to take' or 'to harm' or 'deprive' someone, else.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

20. Re: Modding Dead Island FOV, FPS, Blur, and More Sep 10, 2011, 20:31 Dirwulf

L

19. Re: Modding Dead Island FOV, FPS, Blur, and More Sep 10, 2011, 19:11 necrosis

Level 46 after many many straight hours.

The game has terrible New Game + support. After completing the campaign, you are dumped at the beginning again with xp/equipment, which would be fine, except the game doesn't differentiate between New Game + players and everybody else. If I join a coop game it'll saddle me with somebody thirty levels beneath me. Nowhere does it tell me the level of other players. This wouldn't be TOO great a problem except that when I kill an enemy or loot a box, the loot is scaled to MY LEVEL, not the other player(s). So the level 20 enemy I kill with my level 46 character drops a level 46 weapon... which in no way helps the level 20 player whose game I ended up in.
Wow now that is awesome.

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo