Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GTA4 Live Event Today

Word on Rockstar Games is they will be holding a Grand Theft Auto IV and Episodes from Liberty City event later today on Games for Windows LIVE. The festivities will run from 4:00-7:00 pm EDT. Word is: "Plus we'll have a video stream running right alongside the chat, and you'll have the opportunity to win one of 20 Rockstar prize packs consisting of a t-shirt and stickers...all on the multiplayer events page."

View
19. Re: GTA4 Live Event Today Sep 9, 2011, 13:01 Pankin

Well, let's be fair here. I'll give you that GFWL is a giant turd that you've got to cut with a spatula before it can flush...but Creston did say "An event for a three year old game?" and it was its own sentence. Its own separate point, if you will (and I know you will!)

So let's deconstruct that particular sentence for a sec.

What do you think was the purpose of pointing out that it's a three year old game? Merely stating a fact? OK, let's say that's true. Let's say that Creston was merely stating a fact, as was his claim.

Would stating this fact instead be equally impactful?: "An event for a GTA sequel?"

How about this fact? "An event for a popular shooter?"

Yeah, I'm not so sure.

If we're all nice and honest with ourselves (I know you can do it!) I think we all know why Creston said what he said. He meant to express a pinch of incredulity (please correct me if I'm totally off base here) that a game as old as GTA IV was the recipient of an event they'd send a press release for. Yes? No? I mean, let's be honest.

And if that is the case, then Justice had a point saying that a developer in support of such a venerable game should be celebrated, not vilified. Or, more appropriately...pointing out a game's age should not be used against the developer when said developer is only trying to support one of their games. Justice is right on this point. This board has a strong tendency toward complaining that the squirrel never eats from our hand and then whacking it with a stick when it does.

The REAL reason this is an "event" is because GTA IV forced GFWL as a condition to play, making that game consistently appear in every top 10 GFWL list since release. In other words: it's the crown jewel in GFWL's repertoire; quite literally the only game in that squalor town, except for maybe Fallout 3. Granted, this is a Rockstar event but Microsoft is a more-than-willing partner, obviously.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Sep 9, 10:46 Re: GTA4 Live Event Today Creston
  2. Sep 9, 10:53  Re: GTA4 Live Event Today justice7
  3. Sep 9, 11:00   Re: GTA4 Live Event Today MrBone
  5. Sep 9, 11:07    Re: GTA4 Live Event Today justice7
  6. Sep 9, 11:08   Re: GTA4 Live Event Today Creston
  8. Sep 9, 11:19    Re: GTA4 Live Event Today justice7
  11. Sep 9, 11:29   Re: GTA4 Live Event Today nin
  12. Sep 9, 11:35    Re: GTA4 Live Event Today Creston
  14. Sep 9, 11:39     Re: GTA4 Live Event Today xXBatmanXx
  15. Sep 9, 11:39     Re: GTA4 Live Event Today nin