Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

In keeping with yesterday's 45th anniversary of the first Star Trek, I've been catching up on the show, albeit with The Next Generation. Being the old school guy I am, I've seen every episode of the original series, but there are significant gaps in my TNG experience, so I started from the beginning, which given the up-and-down nature of the first season, I think shows exceptional dedication.

The Next Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Saving the Company.
Fire It Up.
Links: The 2011 NIKE MAG - Itís About Time. Great Scott! Thanks nin.
After the Inevitable Disney Buyout of Nintendo.
Turn Your Propane Tank Into a Gigantic LEGO Head. Thanks TDW Geeks.
Stories: Captain Jihad- Ex-terrorist a comic book hero. Thanks brother19.
Science: Scientists develop blood swimming 'microspiders' to heal injuries. Thanks Larry.
Helpful uranium-munching bacteria breathe it through electric wires.
Images: APOD: In the Shadow of Saturn. Details here. Thanks zombie69.
8 Pictures of Cosplayin' Pets.
Media: Confused bird on an mall escalator. As awesome as a double rainbow.
The real spider cat.
Epic Facepalm.
The Funnies: xkcd- File Transfer.
Dilbert.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2011, 12:49 xXBatmanXx

Well, I ordered the part, so lets see how this goes.....  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2011, 05:59 axe1970

I loved TNG. Although it has been 15+ years since I have watched the series. (on VHS)

I don't read the fine print.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2011, 00:30 Silicon Avatar

To be fair there was plenty of junk sold in the "old days" too. It's just not around now because it got thrown away.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2011, 21:56 Creston

WarPig wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 19:39:
My microwave oven is over 25 years old. Good luck finding something that lasts that long nowdays.

That's my problem right now, my 15 year old microwave oven is slowly dieing and I can't find a new one that doesn't have tons of crappy reviews due to breaking down.

(Cool avatar, btw. Hehe.)

Just buy a really cheap one. It'll break in a year, but at least you'll only be out of like 40 bucks.

Creston

35. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2011, 20:10 Mr. Tact

Yeah, early TNG is bad even for fans. My biggest complaint was half the episodes were direct rewrites of TOS episodes. Probably wasn't really that high -- but I wasn't going to watch the season again to get a count. I agree with the others, it started getting better in season 3, with season 4 being pretty good. I also agree that post-TOS, DS9 was the best incarnation of the series.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2011, 19:39 WarPig

My microwave oven is over 25 years old. Good luck finding something that lasts that long nowdays.

That's my problem right now, my 15 year old microwave oven is slowly dieing and I can't find a new one that doesn't have tons of crappy reviews due to breaking down.

GO SEAHAWKS!

33. Re: Samsung Rant Sep 9, 2011, 18:03 Mindstorm

Old TVs never died either. Until the companies realized "Wait a minute. If we build such high quality products, then people only buy 2 TVs in their lifetime. How about we build them to fail after 5 years, so they buy 12?"

And since then, everything just dies after 3-5 years.

Creston

Yes and no...the older TVs were based on a cathode ray tube and all tvs pretty much worked the same way. Sure there was grill vs shadow mask displays, but the cathode ray tube really was the "man behind the curtains" and lasted 50+ years. Now it's like every year there is a new display technology: plasma, lcd, dlp, led, edge lit, full array, etc...It's hard to perfect a technology when you keep replacing it with new ones. I agree, they makes things cheaply so that people have to replace them every few years, but also because we demand cheap products over rugged, reliable ones. Freaking refrigerators are the same way...25+ yr old ones runs like a charm....the new ones that all but shake your orange juice for you, seem to only last 8 or so years

32. 8 Pictures of Cosplayin' Pets Sep 9, 2011, 18:01 Hoop

The last Pic of the boy & his dogs made my morning.  

Um .. Behind you...

31. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2011, 16:59 Ratty

SirKnight wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 14:16:
Back in the good ol days things were built to last forever. They also weren't built completely in china or similar places either on the cheap.

30. Re: Samsung Rant Sep 9, 2011, 16:31 Creston

DG wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 14:20:
I suspect today's much-reduced quality standards are primarily due to demand. Most people buy things as cheap as possible and replace things every few years even if they are in perfect working order. Anecdotal observation suggests to me those most likely to be doing this are also those who waste the most money on things, i.e. the most attractive customers.

I would agree with the general gist of the idea, but then you'd expect that it's just the cheap stuff that's dying, and the expensive stuff would last for much longer.

Yet the expensive TV I got died just as quickly as the "cheap" 800 dollar unit.

I think it's just deliberate. There might be a subset of users that will upgrade no matter what, but it doesn't appear (to me anyway) as if the entire industry is focused on that group. It just seems they build shit cheaply so they can force you to buy a new set 3-5 years from now. (or rip you off with those crappy "replacement" plans.)

Creston

29. Re: Samsung Rant Sep 9, 2011, 15:58 xXBatmanXx

DG wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 14:20:
I suspect today's much-reduced quality standards are primarily due to demand. Most people buy things as cheap as possible and replace things every few years even if they are in perfect working order. Anecdotal observation suggests to me those most likely to be doing this are also those who waste the most money on things, i.e. the most attractive customers.

In the balance of things influencing what people buy - at the point of purchase i.e. what they do, not what they subsequently think - the importance of price has increased over durability. In a sense there's some fair-do there, why add $1 to the price of a product in order to make it last longer than the buyer will use it?

That and a lot of products are more complicated yet produced at less capable factories, selected overwhelmingly by cost. Often the factory is some contractor rather than the brand-owner themselves.

THe problem, is that a $600, $1400, and $6000 LCD tv will all last the same amount of time.....thus, they did it to themselves.

I have a 1400 Samsung that I bought at the same time as the receiver (in essence, the receiver was free for the discount bundle) and a 400 Vizio. They have identical qualities and picture, but I am sure the time they last will be exactly the same.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

28. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2011, 15:12 mag

APOD: In the Shadow of Saturn

Wasn't this APOD like five years ago? It was my desktop background for a long time.

27. Re: Samsung Rant Sep 9, 2011, 14:20 DG

In the balance of things influencing what people buy - at the point of purchase i.e. what they do, not what they subsequently think - the importance of price has increased over durability. In a sense there's some fair-do there, why add $1 to the price of a product in order to make it last longer than the buyer will use it?

That and a lot of products are more complicated yet produced at less capable factories, selected overwhelmingly by cost. Often the factory is some contractor rather than the brand-owner themselves.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2011, 14:16 SirKnight

So far I have had very good luck with Samsung things. I'm a huge fan of them ATM.

But it is true that things are built really crappy these days. Receivers, refrigerators, TVs, washers/dryers, cars. They all are junk that don't last.

Back in the good ol days things were built to last forever. They also weren't built completely in china or similar places either on the cheap.

25. Re: Samsung Rant Sep 9, 2011, 13:25 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 12:28:
it boggles my mind that a 500.00 receiver doesn't last more than a few years. We still have receivers from the 70s and 80s that out perform most things you can buy in the store.

Old TVs never died either. Until the companies realized "Wait a minute. If we build such high quality products, then people only buy 2 TVs in their lifetime. How about we build them to fail after 5 years, so they buy 12?"

And since then, everything just dies after 3-5 years.

Creston

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2011, 13:03 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 12:46:
Yea, the HDMI passthrough didn't work out of the box, but I figured it was such a new technology that I wasn't surprised that it didn't work, so I had to use an optical cable to the TV to get sound for games, etc.

Looking back, I should have brought the thing back, as the HDMI passthrough is also a widely known problem.

Oh well. Live and learn.

Sounds like a home theater in a box type deal, those things are notorious for being ripoffs and dying early. Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20. Good names in the receiver biz are Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz and etc. Just don't count on the manufacturer warranties, if you're spending ~$300 then get a better replacement warranty from a third party.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

23. Re: Samsung Rant Sep 9, 2011, 12:53 Alamar

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 12:28:
You know....I have been a big fan of Samsung products. I believe that the price you pay for the product reflects the quality. You get what you pay for. With that being said, I think they have a more expensive product because you get a better quality item.

Now. I had a Samsung monitor go out a while back, and it was replaced under warranty for a bad panel. Cool, thanks, all good to go.

Now I have a Samsung receiver, and it started crackling on the right speaker last night during the game. Now it is doing it non stop after contacting support and they won't cover it. Looking on the nets, this is a huge known problem, and Samsung won't do squat other than for me to pay shipping and they will fix it for 80.00 plus shipping.

Looking online, the part is available for $15.00.
Called a local shop, starting fees are $130.00.

I will take a gamble and try and fix it for $15.00.
If that doesn't work. No harm no foul and I will just buy a new NON SAMSUNG RECEIVER.

Growing up in a home with a father who owned a record store, a brother who was 8 years ahead of me, and having ROOMS full of equipment and records....it boggles my mind that a 500.00 receiver doesn't last more than a few years. We still have receivers from the 70s and 80s that out perform most things you can buy in the store.

Anyway. I am done with Samsung.

/rant

This is the drawback of grudging (yes, I verbed it), and conversely, why it's so good there are like a billion alternatives...

Let's pull a number out of my ass, and say that 99% of manufacturers/vendors/whatever have at least one story/product/etc this fits in with (they made a bad product, seemingly know about it, and won't rectify it).

And I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same (stay away from a manufacturer if I had a distastefully bad experience), but in the end, you just end up with a huge list because every (again, 99%) company puts out some garbage : )

/rant

Personally, I like Samsung... My first LCD was Samsung; ran out and bought a second to match it shortly after. They both ended up dying, but I had them for a good amount of time (considering cost n such)... One died during warranty, called them, got an RMA # for UPS, dropped it off, no hassle, no payment, and got the replacement shortly after.

Replaced them with 2 more Samsung LCDs, which I've been using for a few years with no probs... And we bought a Samsung LCD TV, so I guess I support Samsung... At least until one of their products screws me over... : )

-Alamar

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2011, 12:46 xXBatmanXx

Yea, the HDMI passthrough didn't work out of the box, but I figured it was such a new technology that I wasn't surprised that it didn't work, so I had to use an optical cable to the TV to get sound for games, etc.

Looking back, I should have brought the thing back, as the HDMI passthrough is also a widely known problem.

Oh well. Live and learn.

21. Re: Samsung Rant Sep 9, 2011, 12:39 PHJF

As far as AV equipment goes, yeah that shit ain't built to last. These companies are pushing out a new model every year thinking they are Ford or some shit, and then last years model is gone and forgotten. They WANT their shit to break and they WANT you to buy the newer one cuz, "hey, it's new and improved and totally WON'T break like that LAST one!"

I remember the ghetto Zenith TV we had when I was growing up, encased in wood and shit, fucker was a TANK. Those days are gone.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2011, 12:37 Verno

Sorry to hear it Batman, unfortunately you'll find that's largely the case with everything. I had an Onkyo receiver's HDMI chipset die in the first year of ownership, it took almost a week to get a call back from Onkyo and I ended up fixing it myself for $30. My friends Yamaha receiver died last week, no sound in some audio outputs for no apparent reason. Some models of Denon receivers are notorious for having issues over the past couple of years.

All you can really do is protect yourself with warranties. It's why I still buy a lot of things from Sears, unlike Amazon they typically will stand behind their products in the long term and often times have their own in-house repair people or be able to put you in touch with someone.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo