Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Quoteworthy

"On a few occasions, I have seen progress bar updates take up more time than the actual work. Especially dangerous with vsync on." -- id Software Technical Director John Carmack, stating something I think we've all suspected.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 9, 2011, 15:15 SimplyMonk

Creston wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 13:43:
Yep. I don't really care how much longer I have to go, but I do want to know that it's still actually DOING something.
Creston

Infinite loops are "something".

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 9, 2011, 13:43 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 10:32:
If you can't calculate an ETA, just display a loading animation (like many of the better games do) that way you can easily tell whether its crashed or not, how long it takes or should take or might take is irrelevant

Yep. I don't really care how much longer I have to go, but I do want to know that it's still actually DOING something.

Creston

7. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 9, 2011, 10:32 eRe4s3r

This reminds me about the file copy progress bar and ETA guess in windows. If you got nothing accurate to display about how my stuff progresses then do not display it. Is my opinion ;p

Also progress bars should not display just progress, they are there to display state of action and progression rate.

If you can't calculate an ETA, just display a loading animation (like many of the better games do) that way you can easily tell whether its crashed or not, how long it takes or should take or might take is irrelevant

6. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 9, 2011, 10:18 SimplyMonk

That is very true with application programming. Web programming, progress bars are the devil. Usually I just fake them so they don't actually eat up any performance but give the user the illusion that they are receiving actual feedback. Works out pretty well as long as nothing breaks.  

5. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 9, 2011, 07:57 Tom

It's not really that hard to code a decent progress bar in most situations. I've done it many times. Sometimes environments and systems are set up in such a way that it makes it more difficult than it should be. But it shouldn't be a several day task unless you want to get fancy with the display or you're foolishly concerned with trying to make it perfectly smooth. It doesn't need to be. It just needs to indicate progress even in a rough way on a fairly regular basis.

Coding a progress bar in such a way as to slow down the task significantly is really bad programming. There's no excuse for that.

4. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 9, 2011, 05:40 CommunistHamster

Surely you could fudge a decent smooth loading bar speed by coding an ingame loading-time benchmark, and calibrating the movement of the loading bars to that score?

Although sometimes "loading bar freezes at 37%" can be a good diagnostic of what bug is occuring, in some games at least.

3. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 9, 2011, 04:02 jdreyer

It's funny, loading bars are something I've often thought about, for example, why they don't progress smoothly and evenly. Even though I've never coded a game, I always assumed that they just didn't have time to code it right, and the unevenness came taking shortcuts like tying the loading bar progress to file loading, some files which load quickly, and others that take longer.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

2. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 9, 2011, 03:46 eRe4s3r

The funny thing is that there IS no easy way to code a loading bar... at least, if you want it to be useful (linear speed, steady progression)

If its impacted by the framerate of the loading screen its pretty hilarious, but not completely illogical. After all, it sounds kinda daft to have to code a loading bar helper thread whose only job is to disconnect the loading of files from the display of progress. No matter how you approach it, coding a proper loading bar likely would take at least a few days of dedicated coding and well thought out threading at the start of the project.

And somehow i feel as if thats not a high priority thing for game developers. (understandable, imo)

1. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 8, 2011, 22:46 TinMan

I think DX:HR had a similar problem (pre-patch), given that some people said turning of vsync improved things.  

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo