Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dead Island "Private Joke" Goes Public

One of the consequences of accidentally releasing a developer's build of the game is the possibility of revealing removed content or inside jokes, as illustrated by a report on Kotaku about a discovery within the build of Dead Island inadvertently released on Steam (thanks nin). Word is a hunt through the game's code reveals the Gender Wars skill that allows Purna to deal extra damage to male opponents was originally called "Feminist Whore." This is confirmed with Techland, who indicate that while there weren't necessarily dire consequences for releasing a debug build instead of the final build of the game, there may be for this incident, as they say: "The person responsible for this unfortunate situation will face professional consequences for violating the professional standards and beliefs Techland stands for." Deep Silver also disavows this, saying: "These unfortunate actions were of one individual at developer company Techland and do not in any way represent the views of publishing company Deep Silver." Here's more of the response from Blazej Krakowiak, Techland International Brand Manager:

The line in question was something a programmer considered a private joke. The skill naturally has a completely different in-game name and the script reference was also changed. What is left is a part of an obscure debug function. This is merely an explanation but by no means an excuse. In the end that code was made a part of the product and signed with our company name. We deeply regret that fact and we apologize to all our customers or anyone who might have been offended by that inappropriate expression.

View
143 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

123. Re: Dead Island "Private Joke" Goes Public Sep 9, 2011, 10:11 CommunistHamster

I think what prez said (about the witch-hunt reaction to harmless jokes now being worse than the actual discrimination) sums my views up quite nicely.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

122. Re: Dead Island Sep 9, 2011, 08:29 Prez

If they've got more than one programmer, there's no way the one guy is the only one who knew about it.

I agree. We should kill them all for their heinous, unforgivable crime!! Flamethrower Stab Rifle

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

121. Re: Dead Island Sep 9, 2011, 08:25 Prez

I hear the DLC for Dead Island is going to have a "Don Imus" and a "Mel Gibson" achievement. INSTA-BUY!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

120. Re: Dead Island Sep 9, 2011, 05:31 Jonny

^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 00:23:
Creston wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 18:21:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 17:51:
Personally, I find this topic somewhat hypocritical, especially considering the content of Duke Nukem and all the "women" in the China maps of Deus Ex.

Huh? What about all the "women" in the China maps of Deus Ex?

Creston

Well, last I checked, half of the girls in the China Hub are prostitutes. Like I said...ironic.

^D^

It's a poverty ridden port city. I'm pretty sure that any city like that in the world, in the past, present or future, is going to have a lot of prostitutes. As far as I remember also, they're hugely outnumbered by the number of women hanging around who aren't prostitutes.

119. Re: Dead Island Sep 9, 2011, 02:53 Suddenly_Dead

Creston wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 21:56:
This "joke" was ONE GUY doing it.

If they've got more than one programmer, there's no way the one guy is the only one who knew about it.

Dev wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 22:09:
Ideally yeah... but remember these are the devs who admit they accidently released a dev build as a release build to the public, so they can't be doing that much double checking.

Well, maybe no way.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2011, 02:58.

118. Re: Dead Island Sep 9, 2011, 00:23 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 18:21:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 17:51:
Personally, I find this topic somewhat hypocritical, especially considering the content of Duke Nukem and all the "women" in the China maps of Deus Ex.

Huh? What about all the "women" in the China maps of Deus Ex?

Creston

Well, last I checked, half of the girls in the China Hub are prostitutes. Like I said...ironic.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

117. Re: Dead Island Sep 8, 2011, 23:37 Sepharo

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 23:15:
Beamer wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 15:35:
SM0k3 wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 15:28:
What's the big deal, it's a joke.

So if setting a zombie on fire gave you the "Did What We Should Do To All Homos" achievement we should all just get over it, it's a joke?
If all the black characters couldn't read skill books we should all get over it, it's a joke?

Way to over react. You're not one of them bleeding heart liberals are ya Beamer?

Please do not confuse liberalism with soccermomism.

116. Re: Dead Island Sep 8, 2011, 23:15 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 15:35:
SM0k3 wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 15:28:
What's the big deal, it's a joke.

So if setting a zombie on fire gave you the "Did What We Should Do To All Homos" achievement we should all just get over it, it's a joke?
If all the black characters couldn't read skill books we should all get over it, it's a joke?

Way to over react. You're not one of them bleeding heart liberals are ya Beamer?

115. Re: Dead Island Sep 8, 2011, 23:12 Agent.X7

Yaogun wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 21:29:
Jonny wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 20:30:

Free speech? Good stuff, certainly. But we're talking about calling women whores. Is that really where you want to be seen making your big stand? Judging by this thread and the Kotaku one, it seems like calling women whores is really important to a lot of guys. That's not a good look.

You are very good at jumping to nonsensical conclusions. You should be a politician!

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

114. Re: Dead Island Sep 8, 2011, 23:08 Agent.X7

Kitkoan wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 22:57:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 22:53:
SirKnight wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 22:48:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 22:31:
Some dumbass put something inappropriate in the code, call the police.

No, this is a job for NO MA'AM!

Is that sexism supposed to be amusing? You think beating women is funny? You disgust me.

Wow.... beating a woman? Where did that come? (beyond you trying to add things that weren't there?)

I think he was being sarcastic and picking on the attitudes of several posters who jumped on the "you hate women!" thread just because some of us do not find feminist whore to be offensive.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

113. Re: Dead Island Sep 8, 2011, 22:57 Kitkoan

Sepharo wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 22:53:

Is that sexism supposed to be amusing? You think beating women is funny? You disgust me.

Whoa.... beating a woman? Where did that come? (beyond you trying to add things that weren't there?)

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2011, 23:08.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

112. Re: Dead Island Sep 8, 2011, 22:53 Sepharo

111. Re: Dead Island Sep 8, 2011, 22:48 SirKnight

110. Re: Dead Island Sep 8, 2011, 22:47 Sepharo

Draugr you confused the hell out of for a few minutes after I followed your Kotaku.com.au link and then started reading more articles from the future.

"Why didn't I see this announcement about Max Payne 1/2 HD on Blues? Oh, because it's from tomorrow morning... wait what?"

109. Re: Dead Island Sep 8, 2011, 22:31 Sepharo

108. Re: Dead Island Sep 8, 2011, 22:20 SirKnight

Dev wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 22:09:
Ideally yeah... but remember these are the devs who admit they accidently released a dev build as a release build to the public, so they can't be doing that much double checking.

Yeah, good point there. lol

With such a sloppy and lazy development process, I'm surprised the game actually works at all and manages to do what it does.

107. Re: Dead Island Sep 8, 2011, 22:18 Beamer

I'd wager some of the "just a joke" people were bullied as children, and when they responded were told "geez, it's just a joke!"

I'd wager it didn't make them feel better.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

106. Re: Dead Island Sep 8, 2011, 22:15 Draugr

Creston wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 21:56:
PropheT wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 18:37:
Creston wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 18:26:
By saying it's a gaming culture problem, you're basically saying that it's because these people play games, they are therefore assholes to women.

That's a pretty big stretch and a ridiculous conclusion to come to. Gamers shouting epithets or using questionable language at each other isn't exactly something new, whether it's people calling each other fags on Xbox Live or a gamer proclaiming how he "raped" someone else at any other game out there.

Again, this is a SMALL SUBSET of gamers. Not every gamer does that. In fact, other than the mouthbreathing imbeciles on Xbox live (which in and of themselves are only a small subset of gamers), it really doesn't happen very much at all. Stop saying that this is what gaming culture is.

SOME gamers are assholes and call each other fag. The large majority just plays games. Same as in the rest of society. There is no great "ill" that infests gaming culture and makes it somehow different from anything else. Anyone that claims that is full of shit.

I don't think anyone has ever claimed, outside of maybe Jack Thompson and Fox News, that it's the games making those people act like that rather than being a problem with the community members who do it and the culture of the gaming community that, for the most part, allows it.

Which is exactly what I'm saying. It's a group of PEOPLE who are doing it. This "joke" was ONE GUY doing it.

It's not "Gamers" or "Gamer Culture" doing it. It's a limited amount of people. By claiming it's a gaming CULTURE problem you're saying that EVERYONE is doing it.

Which is horseshit.

Creston

Perfect example of what I'm talking about:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/07/well-thats-one-way-to-combat-misogyny-in-gaming/

This is a perfect example (on top of the example we're discussing, of course) about what I'm talking about when referring to the culture.

I never said everyone is doing it, and I felt I made it clear that I know that everyone isn't guilty, but that doesn't mean it's not part of the culture.
Look at the civil rights movement. Racism was culturally excepted, but that doesn't mean there weren't people that didn't agree with it, and acted to change it.

105. Re: Dead Island Sep 8, 2011, 22:09 Dev

SirKnight wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 21:59:
Oh, and I'm sure others knew about this as I'm sure when they check in game files/code it goes through a review process before submission to the repository. So apparently this was thought to be funny and cool by multiple people, otherwise the code review would have been rejected.

If I was going to release something on steam I'd sure as heck not have it public release until I downloaded it and played it to make sure it installed, ran, and it was the proper version.

104. Re: Dead Island Sep 8, 2011, 21:59 SirKnight

So Steam just downloaded an update for me and the file that contains Feminist Whore is still there. LOL! I would have thought it would be removed by now, but maybe it takes a while for patches to trickle through the steam process.

I saved the file for future lulz since I'm sure it will be removed soon.

I think this developer now, or should, understands the value of $ grep -r FeministWhore *

Oh, and I'm sure others knew about this as I'm sure when they check in game files/code it goes through a review process before submission to the repository. So apparently this was thought to be funny and cool by multiple people, otherwise the code review would have been rejected.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2011, 22:04.

143 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo