Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Activision: Call of Duty Elite "The Difference Between Social Gaming and a Community"

There's an article about Call of Duty Elite on Gamasutra based on discussing the upcoming Call of Duty multiplayer service with Activision digital VP Jamie Berger during the recent Call of Duty XP event. Much of this covers the justification for charging for a premium multiplayer service, as Jamie notes the audience is "very justifiably leery of these changes as something that's not intended to make the experience any better, but is simply to make them pay more for it. There's a lot of natural cynicism and we understand that." Besides access to all the game's DLC, he explains an advantage a premium $49.99 annual subscription will provide is insulation from the notorious hostility found in multiplayer play. "One of the most interesting things to me is how positive people are in the service. I'm most excited that within it, people are being supportive; they're actually talking to each other, and amongst each other," he says. "They're so happy to actually have a place to be part of a community, not a message board... they're actually behaving very much like people who just want to be social and have fun, not people who want to flame each other." He explains this seems to be more of a community: "It creates a social contract. How can we start behaving as if we live in a neighborhood? You try to treat your neighbors with respect. When you create a true community, that, to me, is the difference between 'social gaming' and a community."

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

10. Re: Activision: Call of Duty Elite Sep 8, 2011, 12:12 Beamer

camping spawn points.

The best thing MW did, though, was more or less end spawn camping.

More or less.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Activision: Call of Duty Elite "The Difference Between Social Gaming and a Community" Sep 8, 2011, 11:59 ^Drag0n^

The only component I give a spit about is the SP campaign, I havent played CoD MP sing the first MW, and, IMO, COD MP has had *zero* significant changes since that game.

Honestly, for MP in a a modern combat shooter, I still find Novalogic's Joint Operations to be the most fun.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

8. Re: Activision: Call of Duty Elite "The Difference Between Social Gaming and a Community" Sep 8, 2011, 11:55 Creston

The difference beween Social Gaming and a Community is apparently Bobby Cocktick's jizz all over it.

the audience is "very justifiably leery of these changes as something that's not intended to make the experience any better, but is simply to make them pay more for it. There's a lot of natural cynicism and we understand that.

"It is also, however, completely and utterly true. It pisses us off to no end that people buy the game for 60 bucks and can then play it for as many hours as they please. Ideally we'd charge you 60 bucks, and then a $4.99 fee per hour to play it online. That's what we're slowly working towards."

Creston

7. Re: Activision: Call of Duty Elite "The Difference Between Social Gaming and a Community" Sep 8, 2011, 11:54 Cutter

"In every crowd there's a silver lining."
- P.T. Barnum

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

6. Re: Activision: Call of Duty Elite "The Difference Between Social Gaming and a Community" Sep 8, 2011, 11:38 Respen

Or you could join a clan and play with friends, who are even more likley to be supportive and friendly. So sick of teired software/services trying to turn my computer into a quarter munching arcade machine; I really hope this whole subscription model dies.

To get the "full experience" we now have to
1. Preorder to get a few trinkets... sometimes at more than one retailer
2. Buy the enhanced edition of the game
3. Pay a yearly membership

If you are going to go for it, might as well get the "hardened" edition of the game so you get your first year paid along with a few extras.

5. Re: Activision: Call of Duty Elite "The Difference Between Social Gaming and a Community" Sep 8, 2011, 11:38 dardin

Corporate greed trying to be sold as something good for the consumer....  

4. Re: Activision: Call of Duty Elite Sep 8, 2011, 11:33 Metasparks

This is bullshit! I didn't get to pick my neighbors, just like I won't be able to pick who is in this "social network". Actually, a few of my neighbors are jerks and disrespect the place where I live. I'm sure it'll be just the same on this service. What kind of compound-minded, kool-aid-drinking, illusionary-strategy is this bogus blather insinuating? Let's just be real. They want more money, and if they ask for it, they'll get it. Go flock to them you sheeples!  

3. Re: Activision: Call of Duty Elite Sep 8, 2011, 11:32 MajorD

nin wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 11:05:
I'm imagining a COD MMO, where 12 year olds pay a monthly fee "an annual subscription".....

You mean their Mommies and/or Daddies paying "an annual subscription"? ;-)

2. Re: Activision: Call of Duty Elite Sep 8, 2011, 11:18 Kajetan

nin wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 11:05:
I'm imagining a COD MMO, where 12 year olds pay a monthly fee "an annual subscription" and sit around all day talking smack and camping spawn points.
I'm imagining playing no more crap from the major publishers ... oh, wait! 2TActiBlizzHUbiEAsoftQK can do whatever they want. I do not care anymore about them or their games.

One day i realised that i have SO MUCH unplayed and potentially interesting games from the last 15-20 years all across several plattforms, that i need no more new games. I have the luxury to simply say: Meh!

1. Re: Activision: Call of Duty Elite Sep 8, 2011, 11:05 nin

I'm imagining a COD MMO, where 12 year olds pay a monthly fee "an annual subscription" and sit around all day talking smack and camping spawn points.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo