Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Jupiter's Folly Beta Launches

Jupiter's Folly is a new 4X multiplayer strategy game from Iron Helmet (Neptune's Pride) currently in beta testing that they describe as "a real-time online boardgame." This seems pretty clearly based to some extent on the Aliens series, pitting a miners against a hoard of alien creatures spawned by an underground queen, though players are all miners who must form alliances and determine when it is to their advantage to begin with the stabbing of backs. Described as "Great for people who don't have time to play games anymore. Just log in once or twice a day to build your mines and command your armies. Check back hours later to watch your empire expand and grow in games that last weeks or months."

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Jupiter's Folly Beta Launches Sep 8, 2011, 19:49 Nate

Dev wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 19:31:
Social type log in daily games are always after microtransactions that let you do more per day than normal.

Currently in a game now.

This isn't a social Facebook type game. No microtransactions. It has turns but your units move in real time. So its useful to check the map and react to things more frequently.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Jupiter's Folly Beta Launches Sep 8, 2011, 19:31 Dev

Social type log in daily games are always after microtransactions that let you do more per day than normal.  

2. Re: Jupiter's Folly Beta Launches Sep 8, 2011, 13:56 The Pyro

The unfortunate issue I have with this game is that for obsessively competitive people (e.g. myself) it rapidly gets in the way of real life. Although it's possible to play only once per day, there's a definite competitive advantage to logging in more frequently. Your units are constantly on the move and gathering new intelligence - therefore it's often better to delay important spending decisions by 4, or 8, or however many hours needed to get the intel to make the best decision. So I find myself being compelled to check the game status at 3am.

That said, I do like the gameplay mechanics - seems like it would make a fun social/party game if you had sufficient workstations (so you didn't need to hotseat) and a way to speed up the turns.

1. Re: Jupiter's Folly Beta Launches Sep 8, 2011, 10:49 InBlack

Sounds interesting...  

I have a nifty blue line!

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo