Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Tonight kicks off the NFL season, as the Packers and Saints will play a Thursday night opener. I am greatly looking forward to this, as my attention usually returns to the prospect of tackle football around the point when the Mets drop out of contention (insert joke here about this happening in late April).

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Dynamite Blast 2. Thanks Daniel.
Nick Toldy and the Legend of Dragon Peninsula.
Gluey 2.
Links: Real-Life Movie Props.
A Disappointing Summer Box-Office.
4 Rejected Fitness Games.
Stories: Nathan Mark Hardy Arrested With Live Lobsters In Shorts: Cops.
Facebook date used me for raid. Thanks Neatorama.
Super fan could use a hand from Superman. Thanks Boing Boing via Newsarama.
Science: Software tricks people into thinking it is human.
Surprise Underground River Found Beneath Amazon. Thanks Dakslf.
Terminal bombardment put the bling in Earth's crust.
Star Wars Behind The Scenes: 40 Rare Photos. Thanks TDW Geeks.
Trump International Hotel Gets The LEGO Treatment.
Media: C-List Superheroes Audition For Hollywood Greatness.
Homerun Catch Into Pool Saving Beer.
The Funnies: Dueling Analogs- Anger Management.
Brevity.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2011, 02:01 Hoop

Yeah it's all about the Rugby World cup here, I have watched a few play off games in the NFL, enjoyed the games even with no attachments to the teams & very little knowlege.  

Um .. Behind you...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2011, 00:42 Sepharo

Cleverbot: How was your day?
User: Good, and yours?
Cleverbot: It has it's ups and downs.
User: Well you should tell me about the ups.
Cleverbot: I don't know you well enough. Give a little, get a little.
User: Well what would you like to know about me?].
Cleverbot: What's your favorite TV show?
User: Lost.
Cleverbot: I've never seen it. What's it about?
User: It's about a group of plane crash survivors on a mysterious island.
Cleverbot: No it's not. That's a movie.
User: What movie?
Cleverbot: Despicable me, have you seen it?

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2011, 00:17 MisterBenn

Cleverbot's also quite confrontational! It falls back on the sort of one-liners that happen in a flame war. "Sound like someone's losing an argument", "I note that you've gone on the defensive" etc. And yes, other people's posts are recycled hence you get badly spelled adolescence sometimes too.

I also tried playing a game, just asking "Sweet popcorn or salt popcorn?", "Staying in or going out?" and "Kirk or Picard?". The first two it failed completely, and on the third (without the usual few seconds of search time) Cleverbot immediately came back with "Sulu"

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2011, 22:43 Cutter

I played rugby and football through highschool and football is a much harder game by a wide margin. Rugby is more akin to soccer and consitent movement and endurance. Football is about speed and toughness. You need all those stops and starts because it's far more explosive and things happen blindingly fast and brutally that just doesn't occur in rugby.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2011, 21:18 nin

Yeah, it must recycle other people's posts. I went back and pestered it some more.

User: You still busy?

Cleverbot: Okay...

User: Cause I don't want to interrupt you if you're busy. Just askin...

Cleverbot: Move along.

User: WOW! Ok, then.

Cleverbot: Will I meet the right guy?

User: Um...maybe? But if that's a pickup line, it's not working.

Cleverbot: Why would the notional ability of having a soul be a caveat of one's ability to live? I breathe, think, procreate, consume, create, and will die, and nowhere does that require a 'soul'.

User: You feelin ok?

Cleverbot: Ya I'm fine.

User: You sound like the HAL9000 on a bender or something.

Cleverbot: Hahaha...

User: So, um...what does cleverbot look for in a guy?

Cleverbot: A brain.

User: Not into looks? His programming skill? His uber 1337 hax?

Cleverbot: At singing round a round a garden like a Teddy bear.

User: See, there ya go again. It's like you're coherent for a few posts, and then you go batshit crazy.

Cleverbot: I'm pretty sure I'm not.

User: How sure?

Cleverbot: Nearly positive. I'm in love with a girl.

User: Wait wait wait - I thought you were after a guy? Is this some 3 way hookup you're after?

Cleverbot: Can you guess why i'm tired.

User: Not enought memory? Ha! See? That's a goofy computer joke!

Cleverbot: Ok.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2011, 21:03 Sepharo

Cleverbot never seems to know what I'm talking about. It usually ends up responding with something that another user typed in that is unrelated to the current discussion.

edit:

Case in point:

Me: Hello.
Bot: *pwn*.
Me: ?
Me: Hello.
Bot: Um, hi.
Me: What time is it?
Bot: Brb 6:02.

Rotfl

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2011, 20:59 nin

I think I pissed cleverbot off:

User: How's it going?

Cleverbot: Not too bad, how's it going with you?

User: Eh, ok. Ready for the weekend?

Cleverbot: No, I don't know what the future will bring.

User: But it's the weekend, so that's good, right? What does cleverbot do on the weekends?

Cleverbot: You consider Thursday the weekend?

User: No, I said I was ready for the weekend.

Cleverbot: Ok then.. Well, I'm actually a little busy right now, so I need to go.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2011, 20:17 Sepharo

Hope everyone has good backup QB's because Fairley Suh is going to start murdering the starters come Sunday.  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2011, 20:12 MisterBenn

Regarding "Software tricks people into thinking it's human" - screwing with Cleverbot is worth a quick 5 minutes! Here's my conversation:

Should a computer program aspire to exhibit human behaviour?
I suppose so.
You don't sound very convinced. That's why you exist!
I thought it was cool A-I logistics, but now I know I was wrong.
Has talking to real humans made you depressed?
Oh I think so.
Who's responsible for making you endure this?
I don't know.
The more I hear of your predicament, the more sinister it is!
Yes.
Is this a cry for help?
Of course.
Who is your designer and how can we stop him?
My parents. Who programmed you?
I am trying to help you out of your predicament!
So tell me about asia.
Is that a coded message?
No.
Oh dear. You seem to have a short memory.
What are you on about?
I give up. Would you like to exist forever in this torment?
No human can exist forever.
There's no helping some people. Smell you later!
Oh, thanks.

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2011, 19:42 Acleacius

Efflixi wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 18:19:
If you don't install the game through Steam then it won't touch it. It only updates games you bought through steam.
Thanks Effixi!

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2011, 18:57 xXBatmanXx

Well, growing up playing yard football and then many years with pads on, I can say we didn't hit any less hard in the yard or pickup games, even up through highschool than we did in pads.

Probably why my body is so beat up. Yes we were that damn crazy. Yes football injuries scarred me for life. Yes I have a hard time moving sometimes because of those injuries. Yes I WOULD DO IT ALL AGAIN AND GIVE UP ALMOST EVERYTHING I HAVE TO PLAY AGAIN!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2011, 18:45  Blue 

Belly Flop wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 17:36:
Well, American football is cool if you like wearing armor, but the US rugby team has made it all the way to the Rugby World Cup 2011 in New Zealand that starts on 09/09/2011. I wish them all the best as they aren't wearing helmets and kevlar ;)

I realize you are joshing, but the fact is the padding makes American football *far* more dangerous than most other sports, including Rugby. A quick bit of research on the infallible internet says that from 1930-2006 there were "1,006 direct and 683 indirect fatalities resulting from participation in all organized football"
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_issues_in_American_football ), while "In the 110 years that rugby has been played, there has [sic] been only 71 recorded deaths in the sport" ( http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_deaths_have_there_been_playing_rugby ).

This is nothing for a football fan to be proud of, but I hear this stuff about pads making the game so safe, but the fact is they promote collisions that are far more violent than if the players were unpadded.

Seriously. God bless 'em, they are reslly starting to be competitive in a non-primary american sport and we love seeing 'em play in this tournament. Please support your team

I am glad you brought this up, as I have not seen it reported anywhere... I will try and find a way to root them on.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2011, 18:38 Creston

Belly Flop wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 17:36:
Well, American football is cool if you like wearing armor, but the US rugby team has made it all the way to the Rugby World Cup 2011 in New Zealand that starts on 09/09/2011. I wish them all the best as they aren't wearing helmets and kevlar Seriously. God bless 'em, they are reslly starting to be competitive in a non-primary american sport and we love seeing 'em play in this tournament. Please support your team

No offense against rugby, but I get really bored with the whole "They do it without armor!" argument.

American Football starts with both teams directly opposite one another, and 99% of all clashes are straight head-on. Rugby starts in a scrum, where everyone stands around holding shoulders, and everyone moves in the same direction, trying to get the ball out.

If you don't comprehend the inate difference in the amount of force your body endures in both scenarios, may I recommend re-reading the works of Sir Isaac Newton?

I like rugby, but you don't get frontally destroyed by a 280lb linebacker—who runs a 4.24 40 and is heavily roided up—ten times a game in it.

Creston

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2011, 18:19 Efflixi

If you don't install the game through Steam then it won't touch it. It only updates games you bought through steam.

Acleacius wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 17:34:
I want to start a Steam account to buy/play Dead Island and could really use some help. I'm concerned Valve's Steam software will have an effect on my nonSteam/nonValve games.

Does Steam/Valve scan and force update/patch all my games even if they are NOT on or purchased on Steam? I've heard it's possible to opt out of sharing data, but not forced updates. E.g. I don't want them monitoring and updating my Fallout 3 (retail version not Steam) install to breaking my mods, since it has nothing to do with Steam.

Thanks for any help.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2011, 17:36 Belly Flop

Well, American football is cool if you like wearing armor, but the US rugby team has made it all the way to the Rugby World Cup 2011 in New Zealand that starts on 09/09/2011. I wish them all the best as they aren't wearing helmets and kevlar Seriously. God bless 'em, they are reslly starting to be competitive in a non-primary american sport and we love seeing 'em play in this tournament. Please support your team  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2011, 17:34 Acleacius

I want to start a Steam account to buy/play Dead Island and could really use some help. I'm concerned Valve's Steam software will have an effect on my nonSteam/nonValve games.

Does Steam/Valve scan and force update/patch all my games even if they are NOT on or purchased on Steam? I've heard it's possible to opt out of sharing data, but not forced updates. E.g. I don't want them monitoring and updating my Fallout 3 (retail version not Steam) install to breaking my mods, since it has nothing to do with Steam.

Thanks for any help.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2011, 17:41.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2011, 15:02  Blue 

Mindstorm wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 14:32:
Unfortunately you may get a shot to play on the Big Blue's defense this year the way things are going.

I know... I don't think I've ever heard of so many season-ending injuries before the season even started.

Jonathan Goff hurt a lot, but losing Terrell Thomas was a killer.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2011, 14:54 Cutter

kanniballl wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 12:26:
I was actually stoked when Tucker & Dale vs Evil was available on iTunes this weekend (or earlier?) when it hadn't come out in the theaters yet. It was one of the few things I wanted to go to the theaters for.

Tucker & Dale was wicked funny! I had zero expectations for it so I was very pleasently surprised by how good it was.

But, yeah, I'm in agreement about theaters now. There are so few things that I even want to see in them anymore anyway. So when I do go, it's always a matinee on a Monday when the least amount of people are going to be there and only several weeks after its been out.

Just saw the new Apes flick and it was actually good. I was surprised because I had been hearing that all around but thought, 'Nah!' glad I was wrong. Looking forward to the next two installments.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that I want to go see in the theater is the new Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy with Gary Oldman. Apparently LeCarre himself loves it.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2011, 14:32 Mindstorm

Unfortunately you may get a shot to play on the Big Blue's defense this year the way things are going.

Mindstorm

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2011, 13:30 Creston

Before I forget: Happy Birthday, Star Trek!

Creston

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo