Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Modern Warfare 3 Has LAN Support

In spite of its integral Call of Duty Elite service, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 will support LAN play, as Robert Bowling tweets: "Yes, #MW3 has LAN along with detailed class restriction control + default class creation option," later detailing those restriction options in this tweet: "Ability to restrict any weapon, equipment, perk, deathstreak, secondary, attachment, ANYTHING from being used when setting up game." Thanks PC Gamer.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Has LAN Support Sep 9, 2011, 10:42 xXBatmanXx

Beamer wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 13:43:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 10:30:
Under your argument, we should all be playing EA's SIMS.

I don't see how. My argument was that, if FPSs are your thing, you should want to play a pretty-good example of one, and the MW games are pretty-good examples. Not excellent, but not terrible. Somewhere in the middle. At some point, if you want to play FPS games, this should be on your radar.

The Sims is barely a game, and not at all an FPS. It may be the best of its genre, I wouldn't know, but that's a genre I don't think many people here would play. If it is a genre you play then you probably would want to pick the Sims up at some price point. But since most people here don't, I don't see how my argument can be applied to it with the people here.

Well, you said:

I'll never understand the "no fucking way" sentiment. Even the first two MWs were amusing. $60? No fucking way, not unless you really want to be in the largest online gaming community of all time (one of them, at least. 25 million frickin' copies of Black Ops sold? Insanity.)

I take that as "You should play it even though you say you aren't going to, because so many other people are....."

Sorry, but I will not assimilate.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Has LAN Support Sep 9, 2011, 05:47 Ventura

MW3 is the go for me now. They had me with the new Spec Ops survival mode, anyway. I just love the "survive as long as you can" shit. Don't like it? Don't care. Now it's looking like I can LAN it with a mate? Sold.

I'll likely get RO2 and BF3 down the track also though, just not straight away.

39. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Has LAN Support Sep 8, 2011, 21:03 Beamer

Adventure genre games where you can't die must be "barely a game" as well huh?

There's still problem solving and tactics, although returning to MI2 kind of made me realize the problem solving tended to be blind luck.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

38. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Has LAN Support Sep 8, 2011, 20:53 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 20:12:
Beamer why do you apply that "barely a game" phrase to Minecraft and The Sims but not to SimCity? They're all open ended games where the player is in charge of driving the narrative.

You can fail SimCity.

When does it happen? I play in the red all the time and take out huge loans if needed. Then I manage to start turning a little profit and hit the fast forward button.

In The Sims your whole family can die and you're left with an empty house and no income, that sounds like failure to me.

In Minecraft you can die and the penalty is losing your inventory which can be pretty disastrous if you happened to be carrying a lot and especially if they're rarer or complex crafts.

I'm pretty sure this "barely a game" phrase is just total bullshit. Adventure genre games where you can't die must be "barely a game" as well huh?

37. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Has LAN Support Sep 8, 2011, 20:12 Beamer

Beamer why do you apply that "barely a game" phrase to Minecraft and The Sims but not to SimCity? They're all open ended games where the player is in charge of driving the narrative.

You can fail SimCity.

-------------

36. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Has LAN Support Sep 8, 2011, 20:10 Sepharo

I have the Sims 1/2/3 but no expansion packs.

Played a lot of the original but two and three only for a few days, though I only play the majority of my games for a few days.

35. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Has LAN Support Sep 8, 2011, 13:43 Beamer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 10:30:

I don't see how. My argument was that, if FPSs are your thing, you should want to play a pretty-good example of one, and the MW games are pretty-good examples. Not excellent, but not terrible. Somewhere in the middle. At some point, if you want to play FPS games, this should be on your radar.

The Sims is barely a game, and not at all an FPS. It may be the best of its genre, I wouldn't know, but that's a genre I don't think many people here would play. If it is a genre you play then you probably would want to pick the Sims up at some price point. But since most people here don't, I don't see how my argument can be applied to it with the people here.

-------------

34. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Has LAN Support Sep 8, 2011, 11:25 Teddy

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 09:06:
I find it odd they are letting you restrict items and "ANYTHING" and still able to be a ranked server where you progress your 'toon.

Where did they say that? I see them saying you can restrict anything, but I don't see them saying you can do it on ranked servers.

33. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Has LAN Support Sep 8, 2011, 11:19 Verno

I did not pay a cent to get origin installed on my system. After the EULA changed I went and downloaded it, transferred over all my EA steam serials, downloaded my games again, and have not had a single issue. Resistance is futile.

Actually resistance has been proven to work as often as not on the PC platform. The big trope about complaining never solving anything is proven wrong on a regular basis. Your statement isn't without irony either, you put up no resistance in the first place

Voicing your displeasure whether by complaining and getting the word out, convincing others or boycotting products is one of the few ways a consumer can force a corporation to change direction.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

32. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Has LAN Support Sep 8, 2011, 10:47 EddieTheHack

justice7 wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 10:05:
I have come to the conclusion that Blues posters don't like ANY games.
There are plenty of games we like. Problem is, most of us are old school guys. I have been coming to this site since it launched in 99. Blues, redwood, sugar shack, voodoo extreme, and planet quake used to be my daily round first thing after school. A lot of blues gamer remember the days when multi-player, dedicated servers, mod support, lan support, a proper FOV, and quick developer response were not thought of as some kind of revolutionary feature - they were expected. Doom launched my gaming habit, DWANGO enabled it, Quake made me a junkie, and bluesnews was my favorite pusher.

31. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Has LAN Support Sep 8, 2011, 10:37 EddieTheHack

Drezden wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 01:05:
I love all the people who still want to pay to put Origin on their systems. Buying Battlefield 3 is just as bad as buying Modern Warfare 3 as far as I see it. Either way you're contributing to worthless shit.
I did not pay a cent to get origin installed on my system. After the EULA changed I went and downloaded it, transferred over all my EA steam serials, downloaded my games again, and have not had a single issue. Resistance is futile. If you want to be mad, then rage at valve for letting the digital distribution genie out of the bottle. The only way EA and other companies are going to stop pushing their own systems is once the full cost of the infrastructure begins hitting home. They saw the better margins coming from steam and thought "Hey, we should do this! We have some servers and a snazzy DSL connection so why not?". The best way to kill this is everyone jump on it at once. EA is banking on people not moving over until they have to. You will come over one day. You will have to if you want to keep playing games released by EA. Just squash this bug when its small and can't handle the load.

30. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Has LAN Support Sep 8, 2011, 10:30 xXBatmanXx

Beamer wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 09:49:
With each subsequent announcement about features BF3 has gone from must have to not even sure I'd pick it up on sale. At the same time I find my interest in MW3 has gone from No Fucking Way to hey maybe when its $40-50 instead of $60.

I'll never understand the "no fucking way" sentiment. Even the first two MWs were amusing. $60? No fucking way, not unless you really want to be in the largest online gaming community of all time (one of them, at least. 25 million frickin' copies of Black Ops sold? Insanity.) But for $20 they're no-brainers. For somewhere between they're a good buy. A competent and well polished but frustrating 7 hour campaign and, at a minimum, 10 hours of multiplayer.
If FPS games are your thing completely ignoring the series at any price point just seems odd.

Problem is they fall in price agonizingly slow. I'll happily play Black Ops when it hits somewhere around $30.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

29. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Has LAN Support Sep 8, 2011, 10:18 Paketep

Blues posters like good games. And not being treated like shit.

Want to know a good game that I like?. Red Orchestra 2. And that's a beta.

There. Your post refuted :-P

28. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Has LAN Support Sep 8, 2011, 10:14 Verno

You're a Blues poster too so I guess you would know.

I'll never understand the "no fucking way" sentiment. Even the first two MWs were amusing

I thought MW2 was terrible and a big step backwards in almost every way (both SP and MP).

27. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Has LAN Support Sep 8, 2011, 10:05 justice7

26. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Has LAN Support Sep 8, 2011, 09:49 STRYKER555

Well well! Ya know, I just might buy MW3 in addition to already pre ordering BF3. But what im going to do with my MW3 copy is to deploy it to my workplace network and burn the game for my friends after registering the keycode to my account online of course.  

25. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Has LAN Support Sep 8, 2011, 09:49 Beamer

With each subsequent announcement about features BF3 has gone from must have to not even sure I'd pick it up on sale. At the same time I find my interest in MW3 has gone from No Fucking Way to hey maybe when its $40-50 instead of $60.

I'll never understand the "no fucking way" sentiment. Even the first two MWs were amusing. $60? No fucking way, not unless you really want to be in the largest online gaming community of all time (one of them, at least. 25 million frickin' copies of Black Ops sold? Insanity.) But for $20 they're no-brainers. For somewhere between they're a good buy. A competent and well polished but frustrating 7 hour campaign and, at a minimum, 10 hours of multiplayer.
If FPS games are your thing completely ignoring the series at any price point just seems odd.

Problem is they fall in price agonizingly slow. I'll happily play Black Ops when it hits somewhere around $30.

-------------

24. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Has LAN Support Sep 8, 2011, 09:46 SpectralMeat

Verno wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 09:26:
It's funny, BF3 was the biggest game on my radar this year when it was initially announced and MW3 was the game I could care less about.

That is pretty much the same way I feel about these 2 games.
Now if you wanted MW3 for around $40~$50 you can always get it from D2D and use some promo codes. There are always some 15% off referral promo codes floating around.

Since MW3 is Steam Works it really doesn't matter where you get it from it will be registered on Steam regardless.

Steam: SpectralMeat

23. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Has LAN Support Sep 8, 2011, 09:26 Verno

It's funny, BF3 was the biggest game on my radar this year when it was initially announced and MW3 was the game I could care less about.

Supporting features matter, they can directly impact your gameplay experience. Companies would do well to heed that in the future before they make an announcement promising the moon then strip it all away slowly before release.

22. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Has LAN Support Sep 8, 2011, 09:06 xXBatmanXx

hmmm...LAN and restricted classes?......I hate to admit it - but it is already above BF3 on my do not buy list. Although I give them credit for these things...still not buying.

I find it odd they are letting you restrict items and "ANYTHING" and still able to be a ranked server where you progress your 'toon.

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo