Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

2013: the Year Digital Sales Will Pass Retail - DFC

DFC Intelligence has an abstract of their Worldwide Market Forecasts for the Video Game and Interactive Entertainment Industry report ($3,495.00, but if you act now you get a set of steak knifes). This says their analysis shows we should expect sales of video games through digital channels to surpass retail sales by 2013, also forecasting the worldwide video game market to reach $81 Billion by 2016 (thanks Gamasutra). They report that PC and mobile games will lead the way:

DFC Intelligence forecasts that the greatest growth area for the game industry is PC games and games for other mobile devices such as smart phones and tablets. The good news is that these areas by and large expand the audience and do not take away from the existing business. “Games on Facebook and products like the iPad help expand the audience and the way products are delivered. The console business is firmly established and suffers mainly from the reluctance of hardware manufacturers to commit to expensive new products,” claims Cole.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: 2013: the Year Digital Sales Will Pass Retail - DFC Sep 8, 2011, 10:56 kanniballl

Rhett wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 22:01:
I'd still go out of my way for a physical copy. You just know that publishers won't go for a cheaper price, when going digital.

Definitely... though my impression is that Steam has more frequent sales on decent stuff more often than Brick-And-Mortar shops around me. But the regular prices are the same.

Retailers will price things at what the market is willing to pay. If people are willing to pay the same price for a downloadable game vs a disk + box then they'll leave it there.

They're not going to say "Hey, let's lower prices so our profits don't increase" unless they decide they want to drive all sales through their own sites and put the stores out of the PC-Gaming game. But they won't do that because they're going to want to keep selling disks in stores to kids using their allowance + birthday money + etc or for those that don't have broadband.

I'm pretty sure online comics from Comixology are the same price as print, even though I have to imagine the publishers + site saving a lot of cash on materials + printing + shipping + storage. But the convenience of having having them OnDemand (even when travelling) and saving a bunch of shelf space negates that complaint for me.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: 2013: the Year Digital Sales Will Pass Retail - DFC Sep 8, 2011, 08:57 theyarecomingforyou

Surely this has been the case for PC gaming for years? I have only bought a handful of titles at retail in the past 6-7 years, with Battlefield 2 (2005), The Witcher (2007) and Starcraft 2 (2010) being the only exceptions I recall. Two of those games were later released on Steam, which I picked up to avoid dealing with disks. I assume this forecast is for when consoles will catch up.

I buy 99% of my games on Steam and keep all of them installed for practicality. I have over 1TB of games installed, ready to play in an instant. I can trade games, view the length of time each game has been played for, compare achievements and voice chat with friends. Gaming has never been better. And this year is a cracker, with The Witcher 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Skyrim, Portal 2, Battlefield 3 (bleh to Origin), etc.

I just hope that publishers respond and stop resorting to stupid promotions with physical retailers. Isn't it about time that PC games releases were worldwide, rather than 3-4 days apart? Isn't it time that EU and Australasia prices match the UK/US? And as for gaming, why can't a game support Steamworks AND Origin's / Impulse's / Green Man Gaming's / Desura's platform features? We don't want to be creating a monopoly, so developers and publishers should really look to recreate all features on all platforms where possible.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

4. Re: 2013: the Year Digital Sales Will Pass Retail - DFC Sep 7, 2011, 22:57 Rockn-Roll

I don't think this is the right place for this "news".
Games on Facebook
Are you serious? Has anyone reading bluesnews actually played a game on facebook? What are we talking about here? Card games? Dice? Jeoperdy? Wheel of fortune? How can that possibly effect purchases of games like Deus Ex, RAGE, etc?

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 2011, 23:39.

Let's Rock!

3. Re: 2013: the Year Digital Sales Will Pass Retail - DFC Sep 7, 2011, 22:28 Nighthawk

So where is the savings we're expecting with digital sales?
We can't count the "sales", I'm talking regular priced stuff.
$60 for Battlefield 3 on Origin
$60 for Battlefield 3 at EB Games

2. Re: 2013: the Year Digital Sales Will Pass Retail - DFC Sep 7, 2011, 22:25 entr0py

So, it sounds like they're counting $1 mobile games as a sale. Kind of meaningless when they're comparing apples to oranges even in their projection.  

1. Re: 2013: the Year Digital Sales Will Pass Retail - DFC Sep 7, 2011, 22:01 Rhett

I'd still go out of my way for a physical copy. You just know that publishers won't go for a cheaper price, when going digital.  

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo