Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Hard Reset DRM

Some of the comments about the Hard Reset demo story below discuss the DRM in the Flying Wild Hog's throwback first-person shooter, so it's timely that this is one of the topics in a Q&A with the developers on Ars Technica. The brief conversation explains their philosophy about saved games, discusses the under explored realm of mid-budget PC games, and while some will note that Steam itself can be considered Digital Rights Management, the game contains no other DRM. "I'm a gamer as well as a developer," says Flying Wild Hog cofounder and programmer Klaudiusz Zych. "And I hate DRM. So no DRM."

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: On Hard Reset DRM Sep 8, 2011, 06:03 Tim

TheVocalMinority wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 02:45:
Sempai wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 19:51:
Jesus Christ the constant whining..

Any person with a lick of common sense knows what the guy meant when he made the statement about DRM.
It's a pretty safe bet the reason these guys are using Valve's service is to get it in front of eyeballs, that's it.

But by all means, continue.

Better a whiner than an appologist.

Bollocks.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: On Hard Reset DRM Sep 8, 2011, 05:52 everyone

Any person with a lick of common sense knows what the guy meant when he made the statement about DRM.
It's a pretty safe bet the reason these guys are using Valve's service is to get it in front of eyeballs, that's it.

Does releasing it on steam mean they can't also release it on a DRM free site, then? No? No.
Looks like common sense isn't so common after all...

20. Re: On Hard Reset DRM Sep 8, 2011, 02:45 TheVocalMinority

Better a whiner than an appologist.

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52

19. Re: On Hard Reset DRM Sep 7, 2011, 23:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

Teddy wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 20:33:
They want to make money. They NEED to make money if they're going to put out any further games. That's why they're on steam primarily and not GoG or Gamersgate. It's pretty simple and straight-forward.

Well, I know Steam is huge at this point, but neither Gamersgate or GoG are exactly small potatoes. Maybe simultaneous releases are too much to ask for though.

I do wonder what the percentages are, charged by each of the online services:

Steam
Gamersgate
GoG
Greenmangaming
Direct2Drive
Impulse(heh)
..Anything else?

Flat percentage? Is each title a different distributing deal? A quick google search results in nothing, making me guess these guys all keep those sort of details under wraps except to game developers/publishers.

Comparison numbers in total sales, total cash value, etc. would be interesting also.

*EDIT* Grammar.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2011, 04:25.

18. Re: On Hard Reset DRM Sep 7, 2011, 20:47 StingingVelvet

Teddy wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 20:33:
Repeated for effect, folks.

They want to make money. They NEED to make money if they're going to put out any further games. That's why they're on steam primarily and not GoG or Gamersgate. It's pretty simple and straight-forward.

Sure, but that still doesn't make his comment correct. The game uses DRM, flat-out, no debate. He says it doesn't. Hence people pointing out the error.

That said the interview says the game will be coming to multiple stores and does not specifically say it is Steamworks across the board, so maybe Gamesgate and other sites will have it DRM free. You never know.

17. Re: On Hard Reset DRM Sep 7, 2011, 20:33 Teddy

Repeated for effect, folks.

16. Re: On Hard Reset DRM Sep 7, 2011, 20:16 MoreLuckThanSkill

No DRM? Well, if they want to do that, talk to Gamersgate and gog.com... I know Steam is convenient, but developers who talk no DRM should really use the two services that you know, allow you to have no DRM.

Demo was ok, waiting for a Gamersgate release.

To be fair, the fact that Gamersgate and gog.com are both based outside of the US might be something of a barrier to some small indie studios.

15. Re: On Hard Reset DRM Sep 7, 2011, 19:53 Tumbler

Weeell i suppose if steam is not DRM its freely open to being circumvented, removed, disabled then ?

heh, I notice that the demo is offered through a variety of services which technically means that those "versions" of the game are drm free so maybe he was talking only about the demo. See, we care about gamers so we didn't put any drm on our game....demo. Full game is locked up tight. Reminds me of a good joke we had around the office, someone asked if we'd be able to buy this game outside of steam? We all laughed our asses off, hell no, then there would be no drm on the game!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

14. Re: On Hard Reset DRM Sep 7, 2011, 19:51 Sempai

13. Re: On Hard Reset DRM Sep 7, 2011, 19:31 Hump

is this any good?  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

12. Re: On Hard Reset DRM Sep 7, 2011, 19:10 Dev

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 18:54:
I keep forgetting it's only DRM if it's Ubisoft of Origin..
Or tages, or securom, or starforce, or a million others.

If you restrict your buying choices to games that don't have added DRM and also aren't steamworks and don't require any digital platform, its going to be a short list (unless you prefer classic games, nothing wrong with that, I like many classic games myself).

Me personally, I have hundreds of steam games, and its quite convenient, and I don't want additional layered crap being installed onto my computer.

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 2011, 22:10.

11. Re: On Hard Reset DRM Sep 7, 2011, 18:54 RollinThundr

I keep forgetting it's only DRM if it's Ubisoft of Origin..  

10. Re: On Hard Reset DRM Sep 7, 2011, 18:53 webname

Weeell i suppose if steam is not DRM its freely open to being circumvented, removed, disabled then ?  

9. Re: On Hard Reset DRM Sep 7, 2011, 18:47 spindoctor

Dev wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 18:28:

while some will note that Steam itself can be considered Digital Rights Management, the game contains no other DRM.

I did read that part. I wasn't aware that Steam being DRM was open to interpretation, but still, that's Blue editorializing and it's fine. The developer on the other hand is definitely using Steam DRM on every copy of his game, so for him to say that there is no DRM is is just flat out wrong.

Ubisoft could say they are using no DRM, apart from the always online connection requirement. That would be about as valid as what this guy just said.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

8. Re: On Hard Reset DRM Sep 7, 2011, 18:34 DrEvil

spindoctor wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 18:24:
What is this guy talking about? It's a Steamworks game. How does that equate to no DRM?

From the perspective of the developers themselves are not adding any of their own DRM or any that they've licensed...

But yes, it isn't technically correct.

However, in this age of "you must be online all the time", I'll live with it as the least of evils.

After all, let's not kid ourselves, even in the "golden age" of PC gaming, we had things like code wheels, and enter the 4th word of the first sentence on page 12 :-)

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 2011, 18:40.

7. Re: On Hard Reset DRM Sep 7, 2011, 18:28 Dev

And with that, this moved from my "eh whatever pass on finding out more" category to "lets check this out and potentially buy" category.

spindoctor wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 18:24:
What is this guy talking about? It's a Steamworks game. How does that equate to no DRM?
And if you read the blurb above that blue did (no need to even RTFA):

while some will note that Steam itself can be considered Digital Rights Management, the game contains no other DRM.

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 2011, 18:33.

6. Re: On Hard Reset DRM Sep 7, 2011, 18:25 Darks

The guys attitude towards DRM has me buying this game just to support them for being stand up developers and supporting the PC.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

5. Re: On Hard Reset DRM Sep 7, 2011, 18:24 spindoctor

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

4. Re: On Hard Reset DRM Sep 7, 2011, 18:18 Tumbler

And no DRM? Just take my money right now, it's yours.

Can anyone confirm that the EXE file where the game installs will work without steam running? I'm assuming it won't since this game is only available on steam. (and is overpriced in my opinion)

I highly doubt this is DRM free, I would guess this game requires steam to be running before the game will launch.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

3. Re: On Hard Reset DRM Sep 7, 2011, 18:10 Beamer

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 17:55:
I really love how this game came None of this 2 years of hyping bullshit

Don't worry, we'll start getting people annoyed that the sequel hasn't been announced yet soon, haha.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo