Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month

Focus Home Interactive announces a September 29 release date for A Game of Thrones - Genesis, a slight delay from the summer release window announced earlier this year for this real-time strategy game based on George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire books. Here are some new screenshots from the game, and here's the latest description:

Faithful to the world imagined by George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones - Genesis emphasizes the backstabbing and political intrigues which are common in Westeros and the fight for the Iron Throne. Command the assassination of an opponent's Great Lord, set up secret alliances, send a spy to take the place of the opponent's unit, or harass his trade routes to weaken his economy. Treasons, espionage, kidnapping and ransoms... treachery is everywhere, so always watch your back!

It is also very possible, by cleverly using all the low blows the game allows you to use, to earn victory without ever entering an open war or recruiting any army. A real first in a real-time strategy game!

Of course, military approach is valid as well! Raise an army, besiege enemy villages and castles, force them to submit to your rule, and crush all resistance. You truly have all options at your disposal to achieve victory and reach the Iron Throne!

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 8, 2011, 08:38 InBlack

Tehol wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 17:48:
so any of you reading or finished a dance with dragons?
i did.

Tumbler go with nutshell42's advice, hardcover editions are not user friendly in this case.

I just finished dance a week ago, after reading the first four books for the second time. (Much needed refresher)

All I gotta say, the book is pretty damn good. Although its slow to get started the last quarter of the book is as good as anything George has written. Brilliant and "GASP" shocking.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 7, 2011, 23:00 Akuinnen

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 14:10:
To heck with the game, finish the damn book series George. I'm waiting for you to finish before I even start reading them!

I'm only half way into a Dance with Dragons, but I expect that this series will not end with some sort of long term resolution. It wouldn't make sense at this point. I would just read the books and accept them as they are.

37. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 7, 2011, 22:51 Sepharo

I actually do my reading on my Droid now with the Kindle app. Google's reader on the phone is pretty nice too.

Call me a crazy person but reading on that screen doesn't really bother me. Probably since I read text on screens all day anyway. Don't miss the paper.

36. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 7, 2011, 21:48 Numinar

Grab the epub if you have an idevice or similar. This is the series where I jumped on that bandwagon of paper is dead, just like how mp3's killed cd's, it makes perfect sense.

I get enough manual handling issues at work so I don't need a 3 kilo block of tree by-product weighing me down. It's amazing how much more reading you get done when you have the book in your pocket instead of in your car/locker-room/bedroom/effeminate man bag. Looks great on a retina display. you can read anywhere, any time, in any lighting condition. Also here in Australia, it's a fraction of the price to go digital.

35. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 7, 2011, 17:55 wrigleyvillain

I bought that $20 set and none of those issues though it's obviously a cheap printing. The text got closer to the edge of the page than it should have at one point in Book 2 but not even close to being cut off. Also a couple pages came loose but that's a much my fault as anyone. I'm really hard on things. And the font is small especially in Book 3 but that's because it's so lengthy. Book 4 had a larger, more widely spaced one, for example.

Yeah this series rocks. Hands down my favorite now. HBO turned me on to it too and I wish I hadn't been so late to the party but much better late than never. Waiting years and years between books woulda sucked too.

34. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 7, 2011, 17:50 Beamer

Kindle's the way to go, but I also read more than I game so it was worth the investment.

I normally hate fantasy, but this series is good. Probably because it focuses more on deception and politics than orcs and mages.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 7, 2011, 17:48 Tehol

so any of you reading or finished a dance with dragons?
i did.

Tumbler go with nutshell42's advice, hardcover editions are not user friendly in this case.

32. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 7, 2011, 17:36 nutshell42

Tumbler wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 16:52:
Splurged and spent $20 on a new copy of the hardcover version. I'm guessing my wife will want to read them as well. Was tough not to jump to the audio edition...haven't read a book in a loooonnnngggg time.

Be careful, the hardcovers can kill a small dog. I'd recommend the regular paperback (are those out of print?).

31. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 7, 2011, 17:18 Parallax Abstraction

A Game of A Game of Thrones?

Can't believe I'm the first person to make that joke.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

30. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 7, 2011, 16:52 Tumbler

They are indeed pretty poor quality, the binding was all messed on mine and several pages were inexplicably blank.

The more of the reviews I read the more disgusted I became. Was hoping that was only on the first shipments but looking at the newest orders shows this is still an ongoing problem.

Splurged and spent $20 on a new copy of the hardcover version. I'm guessing my wife will want to read them as well. Was tough not to jump to the audio edition...haven't read a book in a loooonnnngggg time.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

29. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 7, 2011, 16:39 McSterls

Winter is coming!  

28. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 7, 2011, 16:20 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 14:58:
So, how do I write those two statements to avoid your "automatic assumption"? Two sentences? However, I'll grant you -- thinking on it now... many people probably would jump to such a conclusion -- that doesn't make it proper/correct/whatever. This is a main reason the discourse on the Internet sucks so badly. People need to stop assuming and read what is written. If you feel it's unclear, you can always ask for a clarification.

He's just sperging dude, it wasn't a big deal

Just noticed this, canceling the order...trying to anyway. Quality of this set sounds awful. I think I'll pick up the hard copy of the first book and see how that goes.

They are indeed pretty poor quality, the binding was all messed on mine and several pages were inexplicably blank.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

27. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 7, 2011, 15:33 Tumbler

Pay attention to the 119 negative reviews there, Tumbler. Those aren't for the story, like the positive reviews, but for the physical product.

- pages are missing
- pages are misplaced
- pages have been cut so unprofessionally that the two bottom-lines are missing for several chapters in a row
- the binding breaks and pages fall out
- the font is so small, that people with imperfect eyesight have trouble reading

Just noticed this, canceling the order...trying to anyway. Quality of this set sounds awful. I think I'll pick up the hard copy of the first book and see how that goes.

26. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 7, 2011, 15:25 Beamer

So, how do I write those two statements to avoid your "automatic assumption"? Two sentences? However, I'll grant you -- thinking on it now... many people probably would jump to such a conclusion -- that doesn't make it proper/correct/whatever. This is a main reason the discourse on the Internet sucks so badly. People need to stop assuming and read what is written. If you feel it's unclear, you can always ask for a clarification.

No, you actually wrote those two as joined, dependent clauses. The problem is how you said it, not that people need to "stop assuming."

Be more clear in your writing.

In this case GoT fans have a long history of writing angry letters to the author regarding how slow he is to finish the series. It's understandable that others see any criticism as falling into that, given how common it is.

-------------

25. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 7, 2011, 15:25 Fibrocyte

Creston wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 12:30:
Damn it feels good to be a Lannister.

(Well, until the end of book 3, anyway.)

Creston

I was torn between labeling this a spoiler alert or a jerkoff alert. I settled on both.

24. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 7, 2011, 15:23 Beamer

Tumbler wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 15:17:
I'm currently reading a Feast for Crows and think this series is generally one of the best book series I've ever read. I'll have to try the demo of this game if they release one.

Hmm...I should look into these books.

$20 for all four books shipped to my house!? Link

Sold.

Pay attention to the 119 negative reviews there, Tumbler. Those aren't for the story, like the positive reviews, but for the physical product.

- pages are missing
- pages are misplaced
- pages have been cut so unprofessionally that the two bottom-lines are missing for several chapters in a row
- the binding breaks and pages fall out
- the font is so small, that people with imperfect eyesight have trouble reading

-------------

23. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 7, 2011, 15:19 nutshell42

Looks like Amateur Hour: Total War (oh, sorry, Total War: Amateur Hour); and I wonder how a bunch of people designing a game "faithful" to the books managed to ignore at least a dozen descriptions of the wall and created a snowed in stone wall instead.

Not everything hast to be fucking perfect but that oversized ice cube is kinda the Westerosi equivalent of the Eiffel tower.

22. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 7, 2011, 15:17 Halo

I could care less what you meant.  

21. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 7, 2011, 15:17 Tumbler

I'm currently reading a Feast for Crows and think this series is generally one of the best book series I've ever read. I'll have to try the demo of this game if they release one.

Hmm...I should look into these books.

$20 for all four books shipped to my house!? Link

Sold.

20. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Month Sep 7, 2011, 14:58 Mr. Tact

Have a good one.

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 2011, 15:23.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo