Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic EU Beta Delay

A post to the Star Wars: The Old Republic Forums announces a setback to testing of BioWare's Star Wars MMORPG in Europe (thanks Computer and Video Games). They say this is for a number of reasons, which they list revealing the number to be "two," though they also then refer to "a number of issues...with key systems." Here's word:

Firstly, there’s a new build of the game on the horizon. This is a major build, meaning there will be character wipes and a new client to download. As you may be aware, the current client download is around 27GB in size. If we were to invite players en masse today, those players would have to download the entirety of the client to access the game. There’s every chance that later this week, the service will go offline and this new version will be rolled out, meaning everyone currently in Testing will have to not only download the entire client again (another 27GB download), but will also have their characters erased and have to start afresh. This is a relatively large amount to download in such a short space of time and not an experience we want new testers to be exposed to.

Secondly, this new build will bring about the first localised versions of Star Wars: The Old Republic, which means those of you that speak French and German will have the chance to play the game in those languages, for the first time ever. We’re extremely excited to be able to offer this to our players and as such, we’re keen to get a lot of feedback from European testers in particular.

For those of you that may have missed the messages we put out on the subject already, last week saw a number of issues arise with key systems that prevented us from sending out invites to EU players. Had everything gone to plan, we would have been able to offer two weeks of testing time to new users. However, given the issues that arose, this was physically not possible.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic EU Beta Delay Sep 7, 2011, 18:29 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 13:34:
That's why you need to look around. I've used AEI for over 5 years now and they've always been great. I'm probably getting Fibe soon for TV and they wanted me to get internet too and I told them to piss off.
Great idea. Except if you live in an area with no TPIA. In which case, you're either going to have bell, rogers, telus, cogeco, or videotron. I only got TPIA here 7mo ago.

For those that don't know. TPIA third party internet access.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic EU Beta Delay Sep 7, 2011, 17:47 entr0py

Verno wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 15:23:
I really doubt EA is limiting copies of this game, they need it to sell huge considering the scope of their investment into it. That sounds more like marketing talk.

The real test will be if there are very long queues like most big MMO launches, if so that will be evidence that they didn't match their sales to their server capacity.

If they do run out of stock before launch, that will be absolute proof that they really did limit it. Though the opposite wouldn't be true if they don't sell out, because it's possible to have a limit which isn't reached.

7. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic EU Beta Delay Sep 7, 2011, 15:23 Verno

I really doubt EA is limiting copies of this game, they need it to sell huge considering the scope of their investment into it. That sounds more like marketing talk.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic EU Beta Delay Sep 7, 2011, 15:18 ZeroCougar

Wow 27GB. And that's just a beta sized number. Maybe it could be smaller or bigger for the final. Aren't these guys the ones that said there doing a limited release? Or something along the lines of limited amount of copies on launch?

Maybe its due to the sheer size of the game client, incase they end up having to do a massive day one patch? (combined with pre-release hype, I know...)

- That's a very nice everything you have there... ssssssssSSSSSSSSSSS -

5. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic EU Beta Delay Sep 7, 2011, 13:34 Cutter

That's why you need to look around. I've used AEI for over 5 years now and they've always been great. I'm probably getting Fibe soon for TV and they wanted me to get internet too and I told them to piss off.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic EU Beta Delay Sep 7, 2011, 12:17 Mashiki Amiketo

What's scary is before I switched from Rogers here in Canadaland, that would be nearly half of my monthly cap for "normal" cable internet. Actually considering the number of people still on rogers, telus, cogeco, and so on, that's probably still half to 1/3 of their cap.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

3. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic EU Beta Delay Sep 7, 2011, 11:32 Optional nickname

Luc ostie!
Oui Pa?
Chu ton Père!

2. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic EU Beta Delay Sep 7, 2011, 11:24 Techie714 ©

Damn that is a big download.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic EU Beta Delay Sep 7, 2011, 11:03 Armengar

so? I dont live in the dark ages. 50mb cable downloads 27gb fairly sharpish, im sure I dont mind waiting 1.5 hours. I and dont speak moonman language so roll it out already.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo