Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout: New Vegas - Lonesome Road Audio Preview

The Bethesda Blog now offers the Lonesome Road Holotape #1, an audio recording that will help lead up to the release of The Lonesome Road DLC for Fallout: New Vegas. This is accompanied by some text by Obsidian's Chris Avellone on how this will wrap up loose ends in the action/RPG sequel. Here's a bit: "Lonesome Road brings the DLC story arc to a close events that were first hinted at in New Vegas and Dead Money come to pass, as the last of the DLC cast of characters, Ulysses, reveals himself. For a time, we just introduced him through the perspectives of other characters, a description of another Courier who wore an Old World flag on his back, and in Old World Blues, a mysterious figure who marked his presence through graffiti and holotapes left in the Big Empty."

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Fallout: New Vegas - Lonesome Road Audio Preview Sep 8, 2011, 12:07 ^Drag0n^

Capitan wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 03:20:
I may be picky? But I think Fallout 3 had a better story than NV. Equally so was the DLC's more thoughtful to F3. NV feels so messy and thrown together in haste so you get tired after a while. When you were finished with the story in F3 you could go out on exploring and find hidden things. I like that extra effort from Bethesda Game Studios. It give the game a genuine feeling and it come from their hearts. I miss that in NV

I think that many people have a degree of sentimentality when it comes to Obsidian, as so many of their staffers worked on the original Fallout games back in the day.

IMO, these games are less story than most, and what they do have is more "choose your own adventure" style (which I like), as opposed to a hard script. That said, I will agree that the DC wasteland was much bigger and had far more locations than FNV. That part did disappoint me about the game a little bit.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Fallout: New Vegas - Lonesome Road Audio Preview Sep 8, 2011, 03:20 Capitan

I may be picky? But I think Fallout 3 had a better story than NV. Equally so was the DLC's more thoughtful to F3. NV feels so messy and thrown together in haste so you get tired after a while. When you were finished with the story in F3 you could go out on exploring and find hidden things. I like that extra effort from Bethesda Game Studios. It give the game a genuine feeling and it come from their hearts. I miss that in NV  

8. Re: Fallout: New Vegas - Lonesome Road Audio Preview Sep 7, 2011, 12:23 Creston

You only ever get a fail notice for the "Welcome to Zion" quest if you do that. Not for all the other ones, for some reason. And yeah, I obviously missed it.

(don't ask me how. I'm an old man, dammit!)

Creston

7. Re: Fallout: New Vegas - Lonesome Road Audio Preview Sep 7, 2011, 11:07 toT

Creston, so when you accidentally killed the guy that was on your side at the beginning, you didn't notice the "Quest Failed: blahblah quest" for about 10 quests scroll across your screen? That should have been a hint that something went awry. I'm not trying to defend that particular part of the game, but if you are paying attention, it is easy to tell you screwed something up immediately.  

6. Re: Fallout: New Vegas - Lonesome Road Audio Preview Sep 7, 2011, 10:18 Creston

^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 02:11:
LMAO...I know it was frustrating, but that was one hillarious read, C.

Hell, I didn't even KNOW you COULD kill that guy and break the whole thing... Hilarious!

^D^

Yeah, that's not what I thought when I realized what had happened.

Creston

5. Re: Fallout: New Vegas - Lonesome Road Audio Preview Sep 7, 2011, 10:17 Creston

Well, to be fair, I realize that 99% of Fallout 3/NV is "go here and fetch shit", so I guess I shouldn't expect much else from the DLC.

Had I not already explored the entire map, I probably wouldn't have been so bored by doing all the fetch quests, because then I'd mix it up with exploring.

But yeah, there's no point to the entire story of the DLC. You play it because you bought it, but why would your character EVER go on a fucking caravan to Utah? For 200 caps? I'm carrying like 40K worth of equipment. I wouldn't cross New Vegas for 200 caps, much less travel to fucking Utah.

It's just a horrendously poor DLC.

Finally finished it, at least you get a decent gun and armor out of it.

Creston

4. Re: Fallout: New Vegas - Lonesome Road Audio Preview Sep 7, 2011, 06:44 ZeroCougar

I'm having a great time with F:NV. and some of its DLC. 125 hours total playtime on my copy.

Honest hearts I.. just I dunno what the real point of it was. I played through it. I can say that much. I think they were trying to give a sort of Tribal vs Imperialism feel, I guess.

The Sierra Madre DLC I owned but have avoided so far because of that goofy exploding collar deal. I'll play it eventually.

But Old World Blues I enjoyed alot. The voice acting carries alot of its weight. But if you hate fetch quests you will almost instantly hate Old World Blues. The guy who does Doc Venture's voice from Venture Bros. is in it... its got that going for it.

- That's a very nice everything you have there... ssssssssSSSSSSSSSSS -

3. Re: Fallout: New Vegas - Lonesome Road Audio Preview Sep 7, 2011, 02:11 ^Drag0n^

Creston wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 22:14:
Ugh. Had the best fucking DLC experience of all time with the Honest Hearts DLC. (/SARCASM)
Obsidian gets fluffed as these MASTER STORYTELLERS, but fuck me, that has to have been some of the worst fucking writing I've ever seen.

So, in the end, I got to start over after playing it for 7 hours. And the quests are all of the "go here and fetch me a Quest Item" variety, so they're not even all that enjoyable.

I hope Old World Blues is really as good as everyone says, because otherwise I'm done with Obsidian's DLC.

Creston

LMAO...I know it was frustrating, but that was one hillarious read, C.

Hell, I didn't even KNOW you COULD kill that guy and break the whole thing... Hilarious!

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

2. Re: Fallout: New Vegas - Lonesome Road Audio Preview Sep 6, 2011, 22:47 Acleacius

I enjoyed it and most Obsidian games, though I didn't try DS3. Your not alone ....
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/fallout-new-vegas---honest-hearts

Maybe just wait till there are a couple reviews in before buying?
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/fallout-new-vegas---old-world-blues

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

1. Re: Fallout: New Vegas - Lonesome Road Audio Preview Sep 6, 2011, 22:14 Creston

Ugh. Had the best fucking DLC experience of all time with the Honest Hearts DLC. (/SARCASM)

(secret text for spoilers. Don't read if you haven't played Honest Hearts yet.)

Arrive in Zion. Caravan gets slaughtered. Cool. Tribals attack me. Cool. Murder a bunch of tribals, cross bridge, murder more tribals, scout around. Playing hardcore, so food, water and sleep are a big problem. Food aplenty in area, so that's cool. (especially since my character has 80 survival. One pear feeds me for a day.) Water drinkable from river. Cool.

No place to sleep. Shit. Finally find a cave made by the old nuke survivor. Turn it into my home. Drag all loot over here. Arm it with mines etc.

Explore the next day. Many tribals, all angry at me for whatever reason. All just attack me on sight. Which is fine with me, since my character has the Sneering Imperialist perk, and hates all those fucking Khans and other gangers. (on account of the Khans having been part of trying to kill her alongside Benny. All gangers must die.)

Find Joshua Graham, the Burning Man. Takes awhile, but finally kill him. That seems odd? Shouldn't that be a quest, to go kill him? Weird.

Anyway, scout the region, find tons of good loot, kill tons of monsters, get ganked by Giant Green Geckos a lot, fill the map, explore everywhere. Still curious why there are no quests. check quest map and it says "Chaos in Zion", and to find the map to the valley all the way on the other end. I'm a bit puzzled why my character would know to go there to find the map. Seems a bit arbitrary. I figure that's just where New Canaan is, so they can tell me what's going on and get me some quests to wipe out more tribals.

Eventually, after slaughtering many, many, many tribals, finding a new (and better!) cave to operate out of, and moving all my loot (now worth in excess of 20K) to better cave, I make it to the north part of the map.

I get attacked by more tribals, including a named one, and as soon as I kill her, it shows that I failed a quest.

Huh? How was I ever going to get the quest if she attacks me on sight? Weird. Must be a strange side quest where if you wear their armor or something, you can get in.

Get map. Finally. Quest says "Get back to Northern passage and return to Vegas."

What? That's it? This is the whole DLC?
I mean, I've enjoyed walking around and roleplaying being all by myself in a strange land, with just an All American assault rifle and a thousand rounds of ammo, but still?

So, I go to the wiki and check to see what's going on.

Apparently, right when you start, and you get attacked by the White Legs, there is one tribal who is actually on YOUR side. Of course, he stands in between all the other tribals, who are all shooting at you. So I shoot back, and kill the guy.

Killing this guy immediately disables all quests in the entire DLC, because apparently he's really important.

Okay, that has to be the shittiest fucking design I've ever seen in ANYTHING. Sure, the guy looks SLIGHTLY different than the white legs. That's kind of hard to figure the fuck out when they're shooting at you with .45 caliber submachineguns (and kill me in literally 0.5 seconds of sustained fire.)

Also, the fucker is standing RIGHT IN BETWEEN THEM. Why is he not on a fucking rock somewhere? Why doesn't he join you in cover? Why doesn't he at least SAY SOMETHING when he's helping you fight the White Legs. Shit, a little yell of "Take cover, I'll deal with these guys."

No, he does nothing. He shoots at them while standing in between them, and then he gets ganked (by me), and that breaks the entire DLC.

Obsidian gets fluffed as these MASTER STORYTELLERS, but fuck me, that has to have been some of the worst fucking writing I've ever seen.

So, in the end, I got to start over after playing it for 7 hours. And the quests are all of the "go here and fetch me a Quest Item" variety, so they're not even all that enjoyable.

I hope Old World Blues is really as good as everyone says, because otherwise I'm done with Obsidian's DLC.

Creston

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo