Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build?

The Windows edition of Dead Island is now available in North America, offering Techland's zombie-themed action/RPG. The game is available in stores and also via digital distribution on GamersGate, Impulse, and Steam. Apparently a day-on patch is on the way, Destructoid has word on that along with a lengthy list of changes the patch will include. There's also a thread on the Steam Users' Forums stating the version available on Steam is actually an Xbox 360 build of the game based on header information calling this an "Xbox Live Submission Project Version." Eurogamer has word from Techland that they are looking into this: "Techland is currently investigating this information and we'll do everything we can to make sure everyone can enjoy playing their copy of Dead Island," a spokesperson told them. "Deep Silver is a part of every release process and any further updates will come from the game's publisher."

View
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 12:09 McSterls

Blue wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 11:30:
[quote="
What was wrong with how this was reported in the story you are commenting on?

Sorry Blue, I thought it was a subsequent post with further details, my bad.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 11:54 Verno

It's third hand hearsay with a pretty dubious claim, just giving it the credibility it deserves  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

24. Re: Dead Island is L4D3 (?) Sep 6, 2011, 11:43 Wookiestick

Verno wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 11:32:

That is total nonsense man, like literally utter bollocks. No one in their right mind would spend millions buying up an IP for a popular game franchise then decide to not use it. Valve would probably never sell it to anyone but Turtle Rock anyway. I could maybe see Valve getting Techland to make L4D3 externally but even that's kind of dubious.

When I confronted him with almost verbatim what you said, his response was "I'm only repeating what the developer told me."

I am not disputing your statement, Verno.

Love thy wookie.

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 11:38 Beamer

nin wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 11:33:
I'm pretty sure the xbox build doesn't I'm not sure why this is called the "xbox build" based on a couple of stray files.

Because people tend to see stray files and start jumping to weird-as-shit conclusions. Occam's razor never applies on video game forums. Those aren't stray files, it's the 360 version miraculously running fine on PCs (albeit with buggy features.) "Host anywhere you want" doesn't mean you can host anywhere you want, it means we have to pay a special hosting service. Etc.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Dead Island is L4D3 (?) Sep 6, 2011, 11:36 Beamer

Yup. Valve isn't really a hands-off kind of developer. They work with outside devs, but ones they have very close relationships with.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 11:33 nin

I'm pretty sure the xbox build doesn't let me set the screen rez to 19x10, or let me choose LAN or internet play, so I'm not sure why this is called the "xbox build" based on a couple of stray files.

Seems ok, so far. I didn't have very high expectations, and it's at least meeting them.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

20. Re: Dead Island is L4D3 (?) Sep 6, 2011, 11:32 Verno

Wookiestick wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 11:29:
A guy I know swears up and down that he went to PAX Dev 2011 convention and that one of the devs for Dead Island said that Techland contracted out/bought out the rights for Left 4 Dead 3. Dead Island was going to be Left 4 Dead 3 but throughout the development it changed so much that they renamed it Dead Island. I realize this is kind of a dubious statement to make but I can't give out the name of this guy out of fear of reprisal inside the industry (for him).

That is total nonsense man, like literally utter bollocks. No one in their right mind would spend millions buying up an IP for a popular game franchise then decide to not use it. Valve would probably never sell it to anyone but Turtle Rock anyway. I could maybe see Valve getting Techland to make L4D3 externally but even that's kind of dubious.

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 11:30  Blue 

McSterls wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 11:19:
saw this over at GDN:
A patch is set to be pushed out to North American PC version owners today. Destructoid received a list of fixes that would be in the day one patch for the game and hereís everything you can expect

What was wrong with how this was reported in the story you are commenting on?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

18. Dead Island is L4D3 (?) Sep 6, 2011, 11:29 Wookiestick

A guy I know swears up and down that he went to PAX Dev 2011 convention and that one of the devs for Dead Island said that Techland contracted out/bought out the rights for Left 4 Dead 3. Dead Island was going to be Left 4 Dead 3 but throughout the development it changed so much that they renamed it Dead Island. I realize this is kind of a dubious statement to make but I can't give out the name of this guy out of fear of reprisal inside the industry (for him).  

Love thy wookie.

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 11:28 Pankin

Xbox build on Steam? LOLies!

Remember when you were a toddler of 5 or 6? I remember thinking, at that time, how unfair it was that all the grown-ups did everything right and I could only do things wrong. It didn't take very long for this toddler to understand that your average "grown-up" has about an equal chance to fuck something up as your average child.

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 11:20 Verno

The config edits are in game

You can edit vsync, AA, AF and etc from your copy in-game? I didn't see it there. All I saw was keyboard bindings. Now I'm wondering if they pushed another build and I'm on the wrong one.

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 11:19 McSterls

saw this over at GDN:
A patch is set to be pushed out to North American PC version owners today. Destructoid received a list of fixes that would be in the day one patch for the game and hereís everything you can expect

So now only did Techland and Deep Silver know the game had some serious issues, they knew exactly what they were and again, instead of pushing out the release date, simply pushed out a broken game or rather, an unfinished product. No, itís not the first time a company has done it, and will probably not be the last, but itís starting to become a bad habit for the industry.

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 11:17 PropheT

I have the Steam version and I played for four hours last night without a problem. The config edits are in game, everything worked fine; I was actually surprised it was as stable and solid as it was, there wasn't a crash or a hiccup the entire time I played.

So, I guess if it's messed up it's still at least playable to the point where I didn't even notice something was wrong. I love the game so far.

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 11:16 eRe4s3r

What? You don't look fondly back at how you tuned your boot-disk to squeeze out as much memory as possible while still somehow having to load sound driver and cd driver?  

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 11:14 Verno

HEY that's a horrible insult to one of the best eras of PC gaming!

You have a selective memory, it was also an era filled with constant tinkering to get many PC games to even run. Some of us don't look back fondly on that kind of experience.

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 11:13 Techie714 ©

The graphics look pretty solid but those animations are CRAP. I really dont want ot support a company that does such a crappy job on a console port to PC. I think I'll sit this one out until it hits the bargain bin in a few weeks? I'm having WAY to much fun in Deus EX & Red Orchestra 2 comes out soon too.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 11:13 eRe4s3r

Well i am giving them the tiniest benefit of doubt here Never suspect evil where you might only find stupidity. And its Techland.... so yeah  

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 11:10 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 10:49:
So don't believe any bullshit excuses from Techland, you now know how the Steam process works, there is no way you can release the wrong build on steam without intentionally not noticing it.

Who says it's the wrong build? They likely just deliberately released the Xbox build on the PC. It's the cheapest way to do a port.

Creston

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 2011, 13:21.

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 11:08 Creston

Deep Silver published this? Better check to see if it has Starforce Tages.

I'll never buy another game from those miserable fuckers.

Creston

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 11:07 baltar

Verno wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 10:18:
This sounds like a real turd of a port and its just that much more glaring after playing a good port like Deus Ex. I couldn't even play it this morning, it literally wouldn't detect my keyboard. It's a generic Logitech USB keyboard that works in literally every other game I've ever tested. I feel like we're back in the 90's when I see shit like this.

HEY that's a horrible insult to one of the best eras of PC gaming!
I mean really, aren't you forgetting that the 90's brought us half life, baldur's gate, fallout, planescape torment, jedi knight 2, outlaws, kings quest 5-7, quest for glory, warcraft 1, 2, diablo, starcraft, total annihilation, homeworld, all those awesome lucasarts adventure games, quake, doom, hexen, duke3d, blood, shadow warrior, and countless other gems???

Besides, all those games worked fine with kb/mouse, even the dos games worked better.. These times with all the console faggotry are a completely different beast.

86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo