Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build?

The Windows edition of Dead Island is now available in North America, offering Techland's zombie-themed action/RPG. The game is available in stores and also via digital distribution on GamersGate, Impulse, and Steam. Apparently a day-on patch is on the way, Destructoid has word on that along with a lengthy list of changes the patch will include. There's also a thread on the Steam Users' Forums stating the version available on Steam is actually an Xbox 360 build of the game based on header information calling this an "Xbox Live Submission Project Version." Eurogamer has word from Techland that they are looking into this: "Techland is currently investigating this information and we'll do everything we can to make sure everyone can enjoy playing their copy of Dead Island," a spokesperson told them. "Deep Silver is a part of every release process and any further updates will come from the game's publisher."

View
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

46. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 15:10 nin

I'm not sure if brilliant trolling or just dumb.

Oh, I think we both know the answer.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 14:42 Verno

An Xbox build literally wouldn't run on a PC natively Dev. They just released an older debug build and their first attempt at patching it is a failure going by the Steam forums. Totally agreed on the Q/A stuff, you'd think someone would actually try these things before release. Often times I wonder if they have and the publisher just doesn't care because that's the case so often according to industry people.

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 2011, 14:47.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

44. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 14:36 Dev

nin wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 11:33:
I'm pretty sure the xbox build doesn't let me set the screen rez to 19x10, or let me choose LAN or internet play, so I'm not sure why this is called the "xbox build" based on a couple of stray files.
Because its the xbox dev build? Dev builds for xbox are done on a PC.

Why else would the key Y put you into noclip mode? Thats something you have in a dev build, but not a release game.

Anyway, I find it plausible to believe that somewhere along the line, someone forwarded the wrong version to be released (regardless of if it was a xbox dev build or a PC dev build). I've seen similar things happen before in book or board game industry, where the printed products have additional problems in them because someone somewhere messed up and sent an earlier version of the files to the printer. In one of David Weber's books he even refers to this happening.

And yeah, it speaks to poor quality control to have this happen on a game and no one notice as they test the final product (assuming they tested it at all).

43. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 14:14 Acleacius

Lmao at those 3rd person animations on youtube.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

42. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 14:03 Verno

baltar wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 13:50:
Wow.. you say I missed the point and then proceed to make a one line summary of my rant, noting the point that I supposedly missed, right in the next sentence.

You made a confused list of games from over a decade ago and then tried to liken my complaint with this obviously disastrous release to people who want zero configuration and should just get a console. It's like punching someone then crying when they hit back.

41. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 13:50 Grounded

Star Wars FOrce Unleashed all over again  

40. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 13:50 baltar

Verno wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 13:41:
As far as I'm concerned, If you're problem is that you want absolutely ZERO tinkering whatsoever, just plug and play only no installs no nothing, then get a console!

Yeah you've managed to completely miss the point, ranting on some tangent. Some people don't mind tinkering with things like config files for AA settings but that doesn't mean they want every port to be a buggy mess either.

Anyways it's both hilarious and sad that they literally released the wrong build of the game. Hopefully the majority of these problems are fixed tonight.

Wow.. you say I missed the point and then proceed to make a one line summary of my rant, noting the point that I supposedly missed, right in the next sentence.

I'm not sure if brilliant trolling or just dumb. Either way you just made my ever-growing ignore list. Congrats!

39. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 13:44 Creston

I also think that after Deus Ex showed how to do a proper PC port, PC gamers need to stop supporting this kind of half-assed horseshit...

Creston

38. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 13:41 Verno

As far as I'm concerned, If you're problem is that you want absolutely ZERO tinkering whatsoever, just plug and play only no installs no nothing, then get a console!

Yeah you've managed to completely miss the point, ranting on some tangent. Some people don't mind tinkering with things like config files for AA settings but that doesn't mean they want every port to be a buggy mess either.

Anyways it's both hilarious and sad that they literally released the wrong build of the game. Hopefully the majority of these problems are fixed tonight.

37. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 13:37 Creston

This comment on Ars' review of the game may explain a lot:

I'm not even sure "Techland" knows what a desktop PC is. In the game, I scavenged a battery from one! And no, I don't buy that it was the CMOS battery.

Edit: From RPS, Deep Silver was being their usual stupid self and released the wrong version. Proper version to be released today. Testing? What's that?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/06/dead-island-proper-released-later-today/

Creston

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 2011, 13:42.

36. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 13:35 baltar

Verno wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 11:14:
HEY that's a horrible insult to one of the best eras of PC gaming!

You have a selective memory, it was also an era filled with constant tinkering to get many PC games to even run. Some of us don't look back fondly on that kind of experience.

And yet shoddy ports like this game weren't common back then.

What sort of tinkering are you talking about? I can understand the older dos games where you had to run setup, figure out your soundcard's IRQ ports, etc.. but then the win98 era when half life 2, homeworld, jedi knight2 and outlaws came out, all i remember was popping the disc in, configuring my displays, keys and then playing it.. Besides, All pc games have to have some sort of tinkering to get things configured, simply because a decent PC game has lots of options for configuring - it's the nature of having a somewhat open os over a x360. With that said, when it gets to be more than just a few minutes for it, like dealing with bulletstorm's GFWL bullshit for example, that's when it's a problem. As far as I'm concerned, If you're problem is that you want absolutely ZERO tinkering whatsoever, just plug and play only no installs no nothing, then get a console!

Besides, I'd take running those old setup.exe tinkering over the fuckery involved with this port.

35. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 13:31 Verno

I'm not particularly upset, got it on a discount already with the 4pack and as long as the gameplay holds up for 5-10 hours then its paid for itself. The game itself looks reasonably fun, its the stupid technical stuff thats annoying. The first patch screws some stuff up too apparently, the Steam forums arent happy.  

34. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 13:30 Bumpy

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 13:20:
That's why I don't preorder or buy games on day one anymore. It's never a good idea to give game devs and publishers the benefit of the doubt.

Yup, sad but you usually pay a higher price just to be a beta tester on week one.

I have learned to love delayed gratification with my gaming.

33. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 13:20 Pineapple Ferguson

That's why I don't preorder or buy games on day one anymore. It's never a good idea to give game devs and publishers the benefit of the doubt.

McSterls wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 11:19:
saw this over at GDN:
A patch is set to be pushed out to North American PC version owners today. Destructoid received a list of fixes that would be in the day one patch for the game and hereís everything you can expect

So now only did Techland and Deep Silver know the game had some serious issues, they knew exactly what they were and again, instead of pushing out the release date, simply pushed out a broken game or rather, an unfinished product. No, itís not the first time a company has done it, and will probably not be the last, but itís starting to become a bad habit for the industry.

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 13:19 killer_roach

fujiJuice wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 12:47:
Jerykk wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 12:19:
From what I can tell, this appears to be a debug build which is why debug commands like noclip work. All Techland needs to do is replace the .exe. to fix this issue.

I guess that explains how I went noclip for no reason whatsoever midgame last night, completely broke everything and I couldn't get out of it. I finally had to shut the game down.

From what I've been hearing, the noclip function is actually bound to the Y key.

31. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 13:11 PropheT

Verno wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 11:20:
The config edits are in game

You can edit vsync, AA, AF and etc from your copy in-game? I didn't see it there. All I saw was keyboard bindings. Now I'm wondering if they pushed another build and I'm on the wrong one.

No, I don't think those are there...but the config edits that are supposed to be there are there. It's not exactly ideal for some people, but it's also not that unusual for a game to be missing those settings in a PC game these days.

I'm talking more about the PC-specific settings like screen resolution or keyboard bindings that wouldn't be there if this was an Xbox build. I even have a 360 controller hooked up and it defaults to the keyboard/mouse settings.

30. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 12:47 fujiJuice

Jerykk wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 12:19:
From what I can tell, this appears to be a debug build which is why debug commands like noclip work. All Techland needs to do is replace the .exe. to fix this issue.

I guess that explains how I went noclip for no reason whatsoever midgame last night, completely broke everything and I couldn't get out of it. I finally had to shut the game down.

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 12:40 Verno

Yeah RO2 has some issues but I'm hoping its just the beta stuff. The gameplay itself is fun as hell, it's going to be my BF3 substitute this year.  

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 12:36 ELITE

Same Here Man - HR and RO2 Beta.

RO2 Beta is buggy as hell - and I'm guessing the full release will still have issues - but got dog it is fun - I tried all the game modes and only territory is fun for me - the other modes involve too much waiting to spawn and switching sides too often.

I was going to get Dead Island - but I can't see spending the money on it hearing the issues.

Techie714 © wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 11:13:
The graphics look pretty solid but those animations are CRAP. I really dont want ot support a company that does such a crappy job on a console port to PC. I think I'll sit this one out until it hits the bargain bin in a few weeks? I'm having WAY to much fun in Deus EX & Red Orchestra 2 comes out soon too.

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 12:19 Jerykk

This is not an Xbox build. If it were, it would not run on PC at all. For one, Xbox games use .xex executables, not .exe. Secondly, many assets have to be encoded specifically for each platform and are not compatible with others. Whoever assembled the PC build forgot to remove some of the Xbox submission files which is just sloppy.

86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo