Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build?

The Windows edition of Dead Island is now available in North America, offering Techland's zombie-themed action/RPG. The game is available in stores and also via digital distribution on GamersGate, Impulse, and Steam. Apparently a day-on patch is on the way, Destructoid has word on that along with a lengthy list of changes the patch will include. There's also a thread on the Steam Users' Forums stating the version available on Steam is actually an Xbox 360 build of the game based on header information calling this an "Xbox Live Submission Project Version." Eurogamer has word from Techland that they are looking into this: "Techland is currently investigating this information and we'll do everything we can to make sure everyone can enjoy playing their copy of Dead Island," a spokesperson told them. "Deep Silver is a part of every release process and any further updates will come from the game's publisher."

View
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

86. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 9, 2011, 00:43 Asmo

Where to bloody start...

Eyefinity-Detects the rez but all menus/hud are enormous and partially off the bottom of the screen

F key not rebindable-Oh it looks rebound, but if you're an ESDF player, everytime you move right, you use anything in range...

standard ini edit gripe-not much else to say there

microstutter due to repeating keystrokes-seriously... you have to disable repeating keystrokes to fix this

occasional stutter due to internet game setting-if it checks the internet, you get a slowdown, turn to LAN to alleviate

crappy fov in normal-since of course eyefinity is unplayable

crossfire support not working-ah come on, ffs...

I've had all of these issues and have consequently put the thing down and gone back to fucking Bloodbowl until some decent solutions are offered... I'm so freaking over handing cash to fuckwits who couldn't organise a fuck in a brothel with a fist full of fifties...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

85. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 7, 2011, 20:55 Krovven

Acleacius wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 23:17:
Are there really no guns or ammo near the beginning? I can understand low ammo supplies but no guns sort of sucks.

NPC named Omar gave me a Revolver (can't use until level 10, I was 9 at the time) as a quest reward. However, I think the rewards (just like loot drops) is random.

I'm just glad rare loot drops aren't 'that' rare. In 4 or so hours last night of starting over and getting to level 9, I saw 1 orange drop, 1 purple, and several green drops. Not to mention the several Blues and Purples I saw on vendors.

And as I suspected, the weapons durability becomes much less of a factor as you progress in the game, especially when you have a weapon that will 1 hit kill most targets. I also use Kick alot to disorient or knock down zombies then smash their head in or just cut it off altogether.

84. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 7, 2011, 10:21 Verno

nin wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 15:10:
Oh, I think we both know the answer.

It's like having my own little forum stalker Crowngrin

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

83. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 23:17 Acleacius

Are there really no guns or ammo near the beginning? I can understand low ammo supplies but no guns sort of sucks.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

82. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 22:35 nin

It doesn't poof it

So if it's not in my inventory, and it's not on the ground, where did it go then?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

81. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 22:24 PropheT

nin wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 19:52:
Also don't like the inventory system, and how, when you pick up a new weapon, one of your old one seems to disappear into the ether. I could see it dropping on the ground, but they literally just disappear from the world. As an example, I see some booze. I pick it up, only for some reason, it takes a weapon slot, and eats one of my weapons. WTH? Maybe I can shank someone with the glass? Nope. One swig and the bottle is now gone too, and I only have one weapon now instead of two.

It doesn't poof it, if your inventory is full you need to either go into your inventory to drop something first or when you hold F to pick up the item it drops what you're holding to pick up the new one and switches them out. I don't think I've ever seen anything actually disappear.

If you have open inventory slots it puts the item in your inventory, and does sometimes change your quick slot items; that becomes less of a problem as you level up and have more quick slot weapons available.

80. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 21:56 Krovven

Easter egg I just found...from the very first room you start in, step into the hallway turn left and go in the room there. The 2 dead bodies on the floor are the husband & wife from the trailer. Broken axe on the floor, same door, etc.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/krovven/screenshot/540652982192906727?tab=public

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 2011, 22:47.

79. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 20:59 Dirwulf

nin wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 20:26:
Acleacius wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 20:19:

Also don't like the inventory system, and how, when you pick up a new weapon, one of your old one seems to disappear into the ether. I could see it dropping on the ground, but they literally just disappear from the world. As an example, I see some booze. I pick it up, only for some reason, it takes a weapon slot, and eats one of my weapons. WTH? Maybe I can shank someone with the glass? Nope. One swig and the bottle is now gone too, and I only have one weapon now instead of two.

This was a really weird decision. I can't imagine this is intended. I had a nice upgraded stick that just went poof. It took me a couple of bottles of booze before I figured out that indeed I was losing things in my inventory when it is full. Now I make sure there is always a free slot, but should I really need to do that?

After the patch I'm also getting the major pause every 2 -3 minutes that didn't happen prior. I'll try the priority thing and see if that helps.

I am having a ton of fun with the game though.

78. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 20:59 Krovven

First...I don't know how it went from the obvious last night, being it was a dev build released on Steam, to waking up this morning to news spreading like wildfire that it's an xbox build. To anyone that was gullible enough to have actually believed this...what Xbox game do you know of that has keyboard rebinding, mouse controls and video options beyond just a gamma slider?

Talking gameplay rather than the list of issues...

Bottles of Alcohol are a repeatable quest item, and I'm guessing once you get the plans to make Molotov's, they will be used for that as well (why I think they take a weapon slot). Alcohol while it does take a weapon inventory slot, they do stack. I had 8 bottles at one point last night. Ate a weapon? Didn't have that happen last night. If you held the Use button too long, it will drop whatever you are holding and replace it with what you picked up.

Respawns...the game would be pretty damn boring if there weren't respawns, not to mention it would severely cut into the amount of XP. This is NOT a single player game. It's not meant to go linearly through the game and once killed, things stay dead. That would be pretty damn lame for 4 player coop to kill everything in an area and never have to kill another zombie. However, justifying it is pretty easy...some zombies wander, they wandered in from another area. What is annoying is when they happen to respawn right on top of you. PS: materials and weapons respawn too.

Items degrading quickly...it is quite fast, it's a little annoying. I'm going to withhold judgement until later in the game, as I suspect better weapons will have better durability. Weapons can also be upgraded, improving their durability. There are also passive skills to increase durability. I had already unlocked 4 weapon slots, very simple to toggle between them, open with a throwing weapon or two, toggle to your melee weapons. Rinse repeat. There are tons and tons of weapons available at any given time, and most people will not have even seen many of the various weapon plans.

Normal saves? With this being a coop game, "normal saves" will not work. If you are going to play solo, then you have to deal with it. I don't see the problem though considering it starts you at the nearest checkpoint, with everything respawned (ie: Borderlands).

Technical issues...too many to list.

Vsync can be added to the video.src (open with Notepad), among other changes.

Resolution(1920,1080)
Monitor(0)
BPP(24)
FSAA(0)
TexBPP(32)
TextureQuality("High")
Filtering("Trilinear")
Fullscreen()
Shadows("High")
ShadowMapSize(2048)
SpotShadowMapSize(2048)
Lightmaps()
GammaFloat(1.13)
MaxRefresh(60)
MaterialQuality(1)
FXQuality(3)
FXFadeLevel(1)
WaterQuality(1)
GrassQuality(0)
EnvQuality("FullDynamic")
ShaderPath(3)
VSync()
DisplayDeviceType(0,0.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000)

I can't find it now, but for those interested, there were several threads going last night on the Steam forums with tweaks for the video.src.

You can also rename the into vids with *.bak to prevent them from being played.

Now...to go play, and hope that I can still play after the patch today, as I didn't have any gamestopping issues last night other than the weird keybind stuff.

77. removed Sep 6, 2011, 20:55 sdqw

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 6, 2011, 20:58.

76. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 20:41 Dev

Makes me wonder if the xbox version is as bug filled as this  

75. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 20:26 nin

Acleacius wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 20:19:
Think I'm done with the game until they fix it a bit more. Seems like the longer you play, to slower the game runs.

Also not a fan of weapon degradation and checkpoint saves.
Damn, hope there is a mod/hack to make normal saves and slower degradation.

I heard there is respawning also. Hate when developers do this without some plausible explanation. Obviously this game couldn't explain it. Unless of course there are new ships docking every time you leave a zone, with a new shipment. Sigh

You can put points into slowing weapon degradation (up to 30%, I think?) but it's still annoying. (edit:and that's after you get far enough down in the tree to use them)

And yeah, there are respawns. I'll do a quest, and on the way back, there's suddenly new zombies.

So yeah, not a good first day at all. I would advise anyone on the fence to hold onto your money. This might turn around, but I'm becoming very skeptical.

74. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 20:19 Acleacius

Think I'm done with the game until they fix it a bit more. Seems like the longer you play, to slower the game runs.

Damn, hope there is a mod/hack to make normal saves and slower degradation.

I heard there is respawning also. Hate when developers do this without some plausible explanation. Obviously this game couldn't explain it. Unless of course there are new ships docking every time you leave a zone, with a new shipment. Sigh

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

73. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 20:14 Dades

The game reset it to Below Normal every time I tabbed back into it, check on that. This game is broken as shit, I'm asking steam for a refund which will most likely be unsucessful but if enough people do it hopefully valve will question putting their games on steam again.  

72. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 19:52 Agent.X7

So after the patch I was getting pauses every minute or so where the entire game would freeze for a couple of seconds and then continue. The frame rate is high, but it would just pause.

Turns out the patch set the exe process to a "below normal" priority. Nice. Once I set it to "high" priority, the pauses stopped.

I like this game, but damn, most indy devs don't even fuck up minor shit this bad. Hell, most amateur modders don't.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

71. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 19:52 nin

70. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 19:41 Dev

WyldKat wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 18:12:
Wow I was expecting the game to be a little bit buggy but not this. Can't believe they fucked up this much. They clearly need to sack their QA department and start over.
More likely the publishers decided to ship it instead of push it back a month, regardless of problems that devs told them about needing to fix

69. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 19:36 jacobvandy

Apparently their hasty patch today borked some things in the process of disabling the debug functions. I'm not playing anymore until they roll out the final version.  

68. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 19:17 nin

Sepharo wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 19:05:
Error115 is nearby press J to join!

This is in an SP game (yes I changed it in options).

I got something like that, too, even though I had it flagged for SP/Private.

67. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Island; Patch Coming; Steam has an Xbox Build? Sep 6, 2011, 19:05 Sepharo

Error115 is nearby press J to join!

This is in an SP game (yes I changed it in options).

86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo