Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quoteworthy - Avalanche on DRM

"If a DRM system constantly needs to be defended, something must be wrong. As a developer you will never win over any fans if you constantly let everyone know how much it costs to develop a game and how much money you lose." Avalanche founder Christofer Sundberg tells Edge Magazine. "I don't like always-on DRM solutions at all, since they offer nothing to the consumer. If you continuously give something extra for registering and being online, and award them for actually paying for and playing your game, it'd be different, but always-on DRM only says: 'Thank you for buying our game, we trust you as far as we can throw you." Thanks nin via Kotaku.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Quoteworthy - Avalanche on DRM Sep 7, 2011, 11:00 Verno

Terrible troll CJ, you usually do much better. Why would the pirates care? They get it free no matter what. The paying customers are the only ones who get impacted by DRM. At best impatient pirates might whine on release day but they just download the game days later anyway. Publishers can't expect console numbers from the PC platform in every genre, the reality is that its always been a smaller market. You can spin it on piracy all you want but plenty of companies make a profit on the PC even with the availability of pirated software.

Let's say PC gaming dies tomorrow, what do those people do? Stop gaming altogether? The console piracy scene is quite healthy and active on all platforms right now. They just go to the console world and pirate games there, many of them do already. DRM solutions don't really work, it's been shown time and time again.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Quoteworthy - Avalanche on DRM Sep 7, 2011, 10:38 CJ_Parker

Rockn-Roll wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 20:42:
My assessment is that nearly all the complaints about DRM come from pirates and cheaters

That is my assessment as well. 100% ack. People want their free games. Or actually they don't just want them. They even feel entitled to them. So every time a new DRM scheme poses a potential threat to those freebie fuckfaces, the little pussies will go squealing and squirming and throw a hissy fit about how DRM is unfair.
They are unfortunately too retarded to realize that they are helping to dig the grave of PC gaming even deeper but the day of a rude awakening is coming closer with every single illegal download and I will LOL big time once the day has come where no one is making PC games for assholes to steal anymore.

25. Re: Quoteworthy - Avalanche on DRM Sep 6, 2011, 22:24 Slashman

Creston wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 21:54:
My assessment is that nearly all the complaints about DRM come from pirates and cheaters.

That's very interesting. So you're basically an "every paying customer is a fucking pirate" type of guy. Ubisoft is looking for people like you.

Unbefuckinglievable...

Creston

Meh...he's a troll, ignorant, or possibly mentally deficient. Pick one...it probably won't matter.

24. Re: Quoteworthy - Avalanche on DRM Sep 6, 2011, 21:54 Creston

My assessment is that nearly all the complaints about DRM come from pirates and cheaters.

That's very interesting. So you're basically an "every paying customer is a fucking pirate" type of guy. Ubisoft is looking for people like you.

Unbefuckinglievable...

Creston

23. Re: Quoteworthy - Avalanche on DRM Sep 6, 2011, 20:59 nin

My assessment is that nearly all the complaints about DRM come from pirates and cheaters

Wow...really?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

22. removed Sep 6, 2011, 20:56 sdqw

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 6, 2011, 20:58.

21. Re: Quoteworthy - Avalanche on DRM Sep 6, 2011, 20:42 Rockn-Roll

"If a DRM system constantly needs to be defended, something must be wrong"
That is the least wisest quote I think I've ever seen. My assessment is that nearly all the complaints about DRM come from pirates and cheaters, and the non-pirates and cheaters almost allways complain about it requiring an internet onnection which is something that is currently as necessary for life as a phone was half a century ago...and if the only services in the area are stoneage then it is unfortunate, but also very rare to not even have a phone line with which you can use a modem to connect to the internet.

If there were no pirates at all then great development studios like LookingGlass would still be in business and the Thief series would never have slumped like it did with Deadly Shadows. Pirates and cheaters are pure scum...I'd rather see stricter DRM and better quality games than the poor quality games we have had to endure for the past decade along with draconian DRM in an attempt to stop pirating. DRM will end only when pirating ends...guess when that will happen.

Let's Rock!

20. Re: Quoteworthy - Avalanche on DRM Sep 6, 2011, 20:15 Dades

Someone said Origin is run by digital river too awhile ago, the traceroutes seem to back that up.  

19. Re: Quoteworthy - Avalanche on DRM Sep 6, 2011, 19:01 vermin

Ray Marden wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 18:13:
I purchased Homefront through THQ's store for $15 over the weekend. Even though this was a digital download, it took the company nearly 24 hours just to confirm my order. Around the 12 hour mark, I sent an e-mail to its customer service department and that took another 24 hours to process.

Luckily, it was a Steam game so I just activated my key and had the game downloaded in a little over 30 minutes.

When it takes you 48 times as long to send me an e-mail as it does for me to download your product from a competitor's system, you're certainly failing at customer service.
Failasauraus Rex!
Noting the site was run by Digital River,
Ray

isn't homefront a steamworks steam only game? you would have had to put the serial key into steam regardless.

18. Re: Quoteworthy - Avalanche on DRM Sep 6, 2011, 18:13 Ray Marden

I purchased Homefront through THQ's store for $15 over the weekend. Even though this was a digital download, it took the company nearly 24 hours just to confirm my order. Around the 12 hour mark, I sent an e-mail to its customer service department and that took another 24 hours to process.

Luckily, it was a Steam game so I just activated my key and had the game downloaded in a little over 30 minutes.

When it takes you 48 times as long to send me an e-mail as it does for me to download your product from a competitor's system, you're certainly failing at customer service.
Failasauraus Rex!
Noting the site was run by Digital River,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

17. Re: Quoteworthy - Avalanche on DRM Sep 6, 2011, 16:26 Drazula

Bravo Christofer!

DRM logic is equivalent to putting the innocent in jail and letting the criminals run free.

16. Re: Quoteworthy - Avalanche on DRM Sep 6, 2011, 14:22 Dev

He gets it.

BTW, I've always thought the carrot model is much better than the stick model.
For instance, stardock has always done well with carrot model, they do additional content filled patches that you get if you link the game up on impulse. The base game didn't have much copy protection at all as I recall.

15. Re: Quoteworthy - Avalanche on DRM Sep 6, 2011, 14:04 necrosis

Beamer wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 10:34:
And this is the best part of Steam - it actually gives you something, even if it's just convenience.

The thing is it can't really be replicated, as part of the convenience is that it's just Steam. As soon as it becomes Steam and Origin and DD and Impulse and GFWL it is no longer convenient, it's now too many background programs and too many downloading agents and too many usernames and too many passwords.
This. It is why I will not be getting Battlefield 3. Possibly Mass Effect 3 as well.

14. Re: Quoteworthy - Avalanche on DRM Sep 6, 2011, 13:43 Quboid

wtf_man wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 10:20:
but always-on DRM only says: 'Thank you for buying our game, we trust you as far as we can throw you."

Uh... that's not a "Thank You"... it's a "Fuck You".

I think that's what he meant.

- Quboid

13. Re: Quoteworthy - Avalanche on DRM Sep 6, 2011, 12:36 fujiJuice

Razorclaw wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 11:46:
bought just cause 2, but never registered the serial key to steam, instead I downloaded a crack. thank me for buying your game, christofer sundberg.

That makes no sense whatsoever, do you always cripple games you buy?

12. Re: Quoteworthy - Avalanche on DRM Sep 6, 2011, 11:46 vermin

bought just cause 2, but never registered the serial key to steam, instead I downloaded a crack. thank me for buying your game, christofer sundberg.

I've also got an active subscription to the hunter. but that is an always online browser executed game.. which could have easily have been a steam game, or a regular executable game with an online store part.

11. Re: Quoteworthy - Avalanche on DRM Sep 6, 2011, 11:13 Creston

And this is the best part of Steam - it actually gives you something, even if it's just convenience.

The thing is it can't really be replicated, as part of the convenience is that it's just Steam. As soon as it becomes Steam and Origin and DD and Impulse and GFWL it is no longer convenient, it's now too many background programs and too many downloading agents and too many usernames and too many passwords.

*nods*

Creston

10. Re: Quoteworthy - Avalanche on DRM Sep 6, 2011, 11:12 Creston

Some cheese-eating cock at Ubisoft is currently sitting there, with his fingers in his ears, going "LALALALALAALALALALALAALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!"

Creston

9. Re: Quoteworthy - Avalanche on DRM Sep 6, 2011, 10:54 MajorD

As soon as it becomes Steam and Origin and DD and Impulse and GFWL it is no longer convenient, it's now too many background programs and too many downloading agents and too many usernames and too many passwords.

Totally agree. That is 'one' of the major issues I have too....

8. Re: Quoteworthy - Avalanche on DRM Sep 6, 2011, 10:54 Verno

Right but its DRM that is acceptable to most people because it gives value to the consumer in exchange for what you give up. Adding another layer of DRM on top of DRM is just stupid and unacceptable.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo