Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod

A thread in the Eidos Forums has links and information about a Deus Ex: Human Revolution mod created by a Something awful goon to allow users to skip intros in the action/RPG sequel, select specific maps, mess with weapons, turn of health regeneration and other hacks that may be fun to mess with. Thanks Acleacius.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod Sep 6, 2011, 04:42 wonkawonka

Dades wrote on Sep 5, 2011, 11:36:
I had no problem with the bosses despite playing a stealth character with a focus on non-lethal. I was able to cheese them in a manner similar to Deus Ex 1 so I don't really see the problem. It would have been cool to talk your way out of one but I don't see how it could have fit with the plot.

It's not a matter of whether you can beat them or not, it's more an issue of being forced into a violently different gaming environment.
The fact that you have to cheese them is the issue. (stungun+emp)*4 is easy, it's just a "why do I need to do this stupid thing?" moment.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod Sep 5, 2011, 21:37 Creston

Downloading and will try it out. It seems pretty cool.

Creston

29. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod Sep 5, 2011, 17:36 Sepharo

Tumbler wrote on Sep 5, 2011, 16:53:
Christmas came early with this Debug mod! Level Select includes a level called "Tong Mission" (under the TYM stuff), just started the DLC mission!

So much fun walking through levels in super stealth mode.

Neat.

28. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod Sep 5, 2011, 16:53 Tumbler

Christmas came early with this Debug mod! Level Select includes a level called "Tong Mission" (under the TYM stuff), just started the DLC mission!

So much fun walking through levels in super stealth mode.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

27. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod Sep 5, 2011, 11:49 Alamar

Creston wrote on Sep 4, 2011, 15:51:
StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 4, 2011, 14:39:
Not sure how you could play without health regen, there are way too few healing items to compensate.

Yeah, it'd be pretty difficult. Although I guess if you're a Ghost it won't matter much. You'll need a few hypostims for the boss fights, and that's about it.

Creston

Not likely that people will use this kind of thing without having played the game first... by which point, they should know that you can get through all the boss fights without taking significant any damage.

-Alamar

26. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod Sep 5, 2011, 11:36 Dades

I had no problem with the bosses despite playing a stealth character with a focus on non-lethal. I was able to cheese them in a manner similar to Deus Ex 1 so I don't really see the problem. It would have been cool to talk your way out of one but I don't see how it could have fit with the plot.  

25. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod Sep 5, 2011, 11:34 ^Drag0n^

So getting this when I'm back for the w/e..been posting mobile the last few days.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

24. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod Sep 5, 2011, 04:08 Dev

I hate those intros. They were too long the first time I saw them. I mean come on, like 6 logos? I get it there were tons of companies involved in making the game. I don't care, I ran the game to PLAY IT. I watched the first time, why make me watch every other time? If you absolutely have to have it unskippable, why not have a 5 second unskippable screen with all the disclaimers and logos on it at once like some other games? I'd much rather wait 5 secs than 30 secs to play after I've started the game.

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2011, 04:14.

23. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod Sep 5, 2011, 03:58 wonkawonka

Jerykk wrote on Sep 5, 2011, 01:54:
The issue here is that they let the story undermine the fundamental principles of an RPG. If the player doesn't have combat-centric augmentations or doesn't carry any weapons, the boss fights are significantly harder than they would be otherwise. In a game that lets you choose the way you want to play, forcing the player to play a certain style in some segments is just dumb.

That's a perfect description of the problem, thanks.
Some perfectly feasible solutions could have been to provide for example for a high rank hacking attempt before the boss fight on a control module for a robot or turrets (for hackers/ghosts). Or allow for a high jump to a ledge with a vent that goes to a special sniper area (for long range infiltrators). Anyway, there are many solutions to this problem, and I am just surprised that they didn't bother with any. "Here's the boss, head-to-head, deal with it. Oh yeah, and you can't punch the guy even if he's shocked or dizzy. You won't like it but you can do it."

Jerykk wrote on Sep 5, 2011, 01:54:
I knew that DX:HR would have mandatory boss fights before I played it so I made sure to always carry a fully-upgraded, high damage weapon and plenty of EMP grenades. However, if I hadn't known this beforehand, I'd have certainly been more frustrated with the boss fights.

I didn't know this. I'm glad (and lucky) I kept EMPs, concussions and I had a decent amount of shock ammo. The boss fight really came out of left field and depleted all my hard-won ammo. I wasn't going to shoot the guy with bullets, and you can't "use" the canisters with darts so that's a no-no. Running away, dropping your non-lethal weaponry, picking up a gun to go back to shoot canisters is just lame.

22. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod Sep 5, 2011, 03:16 Tanto Edge

This makes up for that stupid 'announcement'.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

21. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod Sep 5, 2011, 01:54 Jerykk

Surely you don't expect them to anticipate every player's gameplay style, somehow detect it, and then create various specific cinematic videos that will reflect that? They've explained that they forced lethal combat with the bosses because of their vision for the plot; it wouldn't make sense for them to bend over backwards and change that to suit your role-playing fantasy. Can't you be grateful they allow you to play that way otherwise and leave it at that?

The issue here is that they let the story undermine the fundamental principles of an RPG. If the player doesn't have combat-centric augmentations or doesn't carry any weapons, the boss fights are significantly harder than they would be otherwise. In a game that lets you choose the way you want to play, forcing the player to play a certain style in some segments is just dumb. Alpha Protocol and KOTOR did this too and it was a mistake in those games as well. It's entirely possible to have boss encounters that can be resolved in various ways. Fallout 1, 2, New Vegas and Arcanum come to mind as RPGs that did this well.

I knew that DX:HR would have mandatory boss fights before I played it so I made sure to always carry a fully-upgraded, high damage weapon and plenty of EMP grenades. However, if I hadn't known this beforehand, I'd have certainly been more frustrated with the boss fights.

20. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod Sep 5, 2011, 00:48 necrosis

Draugr wrote on Sep 4, 2011, 18:15:
Gibbed is awesome, his ME2 save editor was great for avoiding planet scanning, and modifying flags for characters.
I knew I recognised the name. Yeah I use the saved game editor just save my sanity when I do replays of ME2. Stupid assed planet scanning.

19. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod Sep 5, 2011, 00:40 jacobvandy

wonkawonka wrote on Sep 4, 2011, 17:45:
jacobvandy wrote on Sep 4, 2011, 16:56:
You can beat the third boss without firing a shot. Seriously, people put the effort into playing the ghost, but they don't think out of the pew-pew box for bosses? No wonder you get upset...
That's not relevant to my point. Sure you can beat the first boss playing ghost (6 or 7 stuns and 3 emp's will do the trick) but it doesn't make any sense. Why would a ghost be stupid enough to come waltzing in without a backup plan, and be caught with his pants down, when he's spent hours slithering along unseen and taking control of every electronic component of the building?

Surely you don't expect them to anticipate every player's gameplay style, somehow detect it, and then create various specific cinematic videos that will reflect that? They've explained that they forced lethal combat with the bosses because of their vision for the plot; it wouldn't make sense for them to bend over backwards and change that to suit your role-playing fantasy. Can't you be grateful they allow you to play that way otherwise and leave it at that?

18. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod Sep 4, 2011, 23:27 nin

Just monkeyed with this thing a bit. Holy cow, it's the keys to the kingdom. Want all your praxis points? Done. A certain gun and the upgrades for it? Here ya go.

Very very nice. Hope it isn't patched out.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod Sep 4, 2011, 22:22 Tumbler

Oh wow, this mod unlocks the DLC weapons as well. I have the sniper rifle and double barrel shotty but there is a grenade launcher and some other stuff I'm anxious to play with. Going to start a new game on hard, once I get to my office i'm going to turn it into an armory, every weapon, fully upgraded, tons of ammo, it's going to be beautiful! And Mines, omg I'm going to have so much fun with mines! And Rocket Launchers! I never used those!*spoiler* And that plasma rifle that shows up at the end!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

16. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod Sep 4, 2011, 20:53 nin

Just finished my first run at 34 hours, I think, so this will be great for a second playthrough.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod Sep 4, 2011, 20:37 Acleacius

dangerman77 wrote on Sep 4, 2011, 19:33:
I love the intro; the cinematic fade in/fade out of the titles, the incredible music...get me pumped up for the game!
Lol.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

14. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod Sep 4, 2011, 20:10 Jerykk

Not sure how you could play without health regen, there are way too few healing items to compensate.

There would need to be some balancing tweaks to make the health items give more health.

13. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod Sep 4, 2011, 19:33 dangerman77

I love the intro; the cinematic fade in/fade out of the titles, the incredible music...get me pumped up for the game!  

12. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod Sep 4, 2011, 19:11 eunichron

kanniballl wrote on Sep 4, 2011, 16:55:
wonkawonka wrote on Sep 4, 2011, 16:47:
I'm playing Ghost and I just don't get the boss fights. I just finished my first and it makes no sense: you walk into the fight without the element of surprise, you have no weapon really damaging, you can't do takedowns or any other punching, and you can't use your hacking skillz to any advantage. Boss fights are the only thing I hate about this game.

Eh, I agree. The one down-side is that you have no choice but to "fight" the bosses. But the first two let you avoid having to FPS the thing to death.

The first boss fight you can use all of those barrels and gas-canisters lying around. Plus some decent weapons lying around, but the barrels/canisters should take you most of the way.

Second boss fight you can dodge her attacks, lead her to the electric columns, and blow them up. It's best to have the EMP resistance armor. Meanwhile there are tons of heavy weapons lying around to use against her.

The third one though, there are tons of heavy weapons lying around, I don't recall any other tricks to him though.

You can also max out the Typhoon explosive system. When it's maxed out it's devastating in boss fights, and it only requires 3 Praxis, so it doesn't really take away from anything else you might use going for the Ghost achievement.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo