Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On EVE Online and Dust 514

An interview on Gamasutra talks with Thomas Farrer from CCP's Shanghai studio about Dust 514, the upcoming PlayStation 3 shooter, the ambitious plan to have the game interact with EVE Online, the sci-fi MMORPG. Here's a bit on how they envision this working:

This is actually really important and goes to what you're saying about looking at how players interact. There's no difference between a Dust corporation and an EVE corporation. It's the same thing. Dust players can join an EVE corporation. If a Dust player creates a corporation, EVE players can join that corporation. It's the same thing.

Say if, for example, you only have pilots in your corp, you can quite easily hire a mercenary-only corporation to fight for you. You want them to go and just destroy someone's things on a planet or take control of them for you, you can do that. You can hire them; you can use them as mercenaries.

Or much like you see in EVE corps, you have different groups within a corporation that specialize in different things. You know, you've got your miners. You've got your pilots. You've got people manufacturing. Now you've got a standing army.

View
9. Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Sep 3, 2011, 21:03 bhcompy

Jonny wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 19:23:
As far as I understand the reasoning, they reckon that Eve players already play Eve so they've got a chunk of the PC market sewn up. Whereas they've got none of the console market so making it PS3 exclusive breaks them nicely into that. Essentially also that they fear a PC release would cannibalise Eve players away from their subscriptions.

Seems to be a ridiculous position to me. I've heard over and over again people who like the idea of Eve but find it's mechanics dry and it's slow burning nature frustrating. I'd be willing to bet there'd not only be every current Eve player buying a copy on the PC, but a ready made market of those who want in to the universe without the spreadsheets.

This is their reasoning.

I also expect it to move to PC eventually after the PS3 goes by the wayside, unless they move it to PS4 of course.

That said, MAG has a semi-persistent universe and does okay. There are MMOs on PS3(and was one or two on PS2 as well).

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Sep 3, 15:24 Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Wallshadows
  2. Sep 3, 16:33 Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 jacobvandy
  5. Sep 3, 18:16  Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 StingingVelvet
  6. Sep 3, 19:10   Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Slashman
  7. Sep 3, 19:23    Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Jonny
>> 9. Sep 3, 21:03     Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 bhcompy
  10. Sep 3, 23:12     Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Slashman
  11. Sep 4, 09:47     Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 killerpony
  3. Sep 3, 17:50 Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Creston
  4. Sep 3, 17:52 Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Stormsinger