Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On EVE Online and Dust 514

An interview on Gamasutra talks with Thomas Farrer from CCP's Shanghai studio about Dust 514, the upcoming PlayStation 3 shooter, the ambitious plan to have the game interact with EVE Online, the sci-fi MMORPG. Here's a bit on how they envision this working:

This is actually really important and goes to what you're saying about looking at how players interact. There's no difference between a Dust corporation and an EVE corporation. It's the same thing. Dust players can join an EVE corporation. If a Dust player creates a corporation, EVE players can join that corporation. It's the same thing.

Say if, for example, you only have pilots in your corp, you can quite easily hire a mercenary-only corporation to fight for you. You want them to go and just destroy someone's things on a planet or take control of them for you, you can do that. You can hire them; you can use them as mercenaries.

Or much like you see in EVE corps, you have different groups within a corporation that specialize in different things. You know, you've got your miners. You've got your pilots. You've got people manufacturing. Now you've got a standing army.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Sep 4, 2011, 13:14 Jonny

I'm pretty sure it's not going to be fair anyway. PS3 players picking it up because it's a shooter are likely to be eaten alive by the scamming and backstabbing populace and the Eve players with a PS3 are going to walk into it with enough cash to buy anything right off the bat.

I'm guessing they'll get 2 or three years out of Dust on the PS3, then they'll bring out a PC version when only the diehards and corporation mercenary alts are left on the PS3. That way they won't have to worry about matching PC players against PS3 ones.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Sep 4, 2011, 12:32 Slashman

You realize, of course, that the problem with it making its way onto PCs later is the fact that it means PS3 folks fighting PC folks in a FPS. No good ever comes of this. Something would have to be gimped on the PC end to make it fair.  

12. Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Sep 4, 2011, 10:36 aesir05

CCP has already hinted that Dust may come to PC.

besides that, exclusive games are usually on consoles only, they can usually make their way onto PCs without any issues, Gears of Wars, Halo and such

Dust is an experiment, it has to be a great shooter to at the least hold its ground against COD and Battlefield and the EVE mechanic can match it for other online stuff
bah I'm sleepy :p

11. Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Sep 4, 2011, 09:47 killerpony

Let's see...it's only on PS3, meaning it's exclusive to PS3. What does exclusive usually mean? Oh that's right, lots of money to the developer!

That makes sense for this kind of maneuver.

10. Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Sep 3, 2011, 23:12 Slashman

Jonny wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 19:23:
As far as I understand the reasoning, they reckon that Eve players already play Eve so they've got a chunk of the PC market sewn up. Whereas they've got none of the console market so making it PS3 exclusive breaks them nicely into that. Essentially also that they fear a PC release would cannibalise Eve players away from their subscriptions.

Seems to be a ridiculous position to me. I've heard over and over again people who like the idea of Eve but find it's mechanics dry and it's slow burning nature frustrating. I'd be willing to bet there'd not only be every current Eve player buying a copy on the PC, but a ready made market of those who want in to the universe without the spreadsheets.

While I don't think every current EVE player might buy a copy, I think there would be a really big buzz in the PC market for the game if it is any good. I didn't know a lot of EVE players that were FPS players. Most of them either liked MMOs or preferred a game that didn't require constant attention. With the space combat in EVE not being the most exciting thing in the world, but the universe being so dynamic and rich, Dust would really meld the two dynamics and I suspect would be a lot easier to implement on PC rather than PS3(which is severely limited in comparison).

9. Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Sep 3, 2011, 21:03 bhcompy

Jonny wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 19:23:
As far as I understand the reasoning, they reckon that Eve players already play Eve so they've got a chunk of the PC market sewn up. Whereas they've got none of the console market so making it PS3 exclusive breaks them nicely into that. Essentially also that they fear a PC release would cannibalise Eve players away from their subscriptions.

Seems to be a ridiculous position to me. I've heard over and over again people who like the idea of Eve but find it's mechanics dry and it's slow burning nature frustrating. I'd be willing to bet there'd not only be every current Eve player buying a copy on the PC, but a ready made market of those who want in to the universe without the spreadsheets.

This is their reasoning.

I also expect it to move to PC eventually after the PS3 goes by the wayside, unless they move it to PS4 of course.

That said, MAG has a semi-persistent universe and does okay. There are MMOs on PS3(and was one or two on PS2 as well).

8. Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Sep 3, 2011, 21:00 theyarecomingforyou

I like the idea of linking two completely different demographics in the same universe. However, shooters are BEST played on the PC, which is what makes this decision all the more bizarre. And why would you build a complementary title that probably the majority of your fanbase won't / can't play?

Game looks pretty good, though it looks a bit Tribes-like to me... and it's not long until Tribes: Ascend comes out - for free.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

7. Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Sep 3, 2011, 19:23 Jonny

6. Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Sep 3, 2011, 19:10 Slashman

StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 18:16:
jacobvandy wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 16:33:
This HAS to come out on PC. Has to.

It's just baffling to me that it isn't.

Exactly. It makes zero sense. Why would console players(probably the very antithesis of EVE players) be attracted to a game that affects a universe that they can't even see be affected?

My only theory is that the game is such a simplified and uninteresting shooter, that only console gamers would buy it.

If this was coming for PC, it would seriously make me want to jump back into EVE. As it stands now, it just makes me scratch my head.

5. Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Sep 3, 2011, 18:16 StingingVelvet

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 16:33:

It's just baffling to me that it isn't.

4. Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Sep 3, 2011, 17:52 Stormsinger

Yeah, cause there aren't enough sociopaths in Eve already, let's open the doors to the console crowd as well.  

3. Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Sep 3, 2011, 17:50 Creston

It's a very interesting idea. We'll see how it works once it's out.

Creston

2. Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Sep 3, 2011, 16:33 jacobvandy

1. Re: On EVE Online and Dust 514 Sep 3, 2011, 15:24 Wallshadows

Befriend army.

Take army aboard your ship.

Eject army in to low sec space.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >