Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Games on Origin

In an interesting twist to the competition between Valve's Steam and Electronic Arts' Origin, the Origin store is now selling some Valve games, as seen in this buy two get on free promotion, where the games in the "buy two" part include Counter-Strike: Source, Left For Dead: Game Of The Year Edition, and Left For Dead 2. Thanks Joystiq.

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

19. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 15:34 eRe4s3r

Uh yes, if you use paypal via proxy you'll get decimated  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 15:29 Kajetan

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 14:50:
And before you say it, i know that using proxy for buying stuff is fraud
It is? Where? This is not fraud, this is merely against some EULA chapters, nothing more. No judge will come after you, when you buy stuff from a company from a region where they do not want to sell you stuff. I frequently buy games on Steam with a proxy.

17. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 15:13 Fion

eunichron wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 14:46:
zincthallinide wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 14:36:
Re: The $5 'pre-order' charge for SWTOR, I was confused about that myself originally. I'm not sure why they have the $5 charge at all, except to get some immediate charge on your CC since they don't bill you in full until the game is released..?

I would imagine so. Since they are limiting the launch (which is really the only truly "evil" and stupid thing EA is doing with SW:TOR) it seems more like a, "get a charge on your CC so we know you're serious about buying it, and you know you'll get a copy." Same as pre-ordering from a brick-and-mortar; you pay a small fee to guarantee that you get your copy, but it doesn't add to the total cost of the game.

That would make sense but when was the last time you pre-ordered a digital product and didn't pay the full price up front? I thought only stores had the 'pay a fee now, and the full price when the game ships'? So for a digital release, it just doesn't make sense to charge that extra $5. I'd rather pay for the game now than wait until release when I'll be broke because of xmas anyway lol.

Edit: I checked the FAQ for TOR and indeed when you pay the $5 you are paying a fee so that a copy will be available to you when you go to purchase the game (either at a store or on Origin). I'd personally rather you just pre-purchase the game outright like you do at.. every single other digital game store on the planet.

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 2011, 15:19.

16. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 15:03 Bhruic

I can't say I'm really happy with Origin at this point, but I do like that they are trying to promote it positively, rather than relying on "forced usage".

But the interface itself is fairly annoying - there are few options to control how it works, and things like updating aren't done automatically, it basically does a complete new install.

The biggest problem, however, is that they are charging tax. Out of all the DDs that I've used (4 to this point), no other one has charged me tax on a game. So even with sales, Origin can end up costing more than other places - meaning I'll likely never use it as a place to get anything but EA games. Not sure I'd even bother with those, if there are other options (I purchased BF3 through Origin since someone else was paying ;P).

15. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 14:50 eRe4s3r

So coming from support chat i can tell you this

Searching for an available advisor
You have been re-queued.

Rajeev (Responding)
Rajeev: Hi, my name is Rajeev. How may I help you?
901706123: Hi there Just a random quesitona bout Origin
901706123: on bluesnews was a news post about the Origin sale
901706123: buy 2 get 1 free
901706123: is that US only?
901706123: Because apparently neither can I see the sale, nor the games in question (l4d/css/l4d2) which is a bit confusing...
Rajeev: Please visit : http://store.origin.com and check whether the offer is in your region or not. If it is not then you are not eligible for this offer
901706123: Ah, so sales are regionally different then? Is there some place where i can bugger EA directly then?
Rajeev: Yes, most of the offers are region specific.
901706123: ah ;(
901706123: ok thanks for your time... as i said, random quesiton
Rajeev: Nope, you can purchase games from Origin only there is no other place of EA.
Rajeev: You are welcome. I am pleased that I was able to answer your question to your expectation.
Rajeev: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
901706123: Just 1 thing
Rajeev: Sure
901706123: does Origin have any stance of the use of proxies?
901706123: or vpn to change regions? Is that illegal according to the TOS?
Rajeev: I believe you won't be able to change region using proxies and for TOS I would suggest that please visit http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/
901706123: hah Well i looked there beforre coming here
901706123: it doesn't really say or mention proxies
901706123: the quesiton is because.. on steam forums theres always topics about using VPN to fake region
901706123: to unlock early and such
Rajeev: If it is not mentioned there, then it doesn't come under TOS
901706123: Mhhh ok then i'll leave you in peace now I thank you for the reply
Rajeev: You are welcome.
Rajeev: Thank you for your participation. Have a wonderful day.

Which is pretty Interesting don't you think? And sorry about the typos.. ^^

And before you say it, i know that using proxy for buying stuff is fraud - this was just to check whether its generally accepted or not.

And that said, apparently you can't directly complain to EA about Origin store policies via this, and i am not sure how you could.

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 2011, 14:57.

14. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 14:46 eunichron

zincthallinide wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 14:36:
Re: The $5 'pre-order' charge for SWTOR, I was confused about that myself originally. I'm not sure why they have the $5 charge at all, except to get some immediate charge on your CC since they don't bill you in full until the game is released..?

I would imagine so. Since they are limiting the launch (which is really the only truly "evil" and stupid thing EA is doing with SW:TOR) it seems more like a, "get a charge on your CC so we know you're serious about buying it, and you know you'll get a copy." Same as pre-ordering from a brick-and-mortar; you pay a small fee to guarantee that you get your copy, but it doesn't add to the total cost of the game.

13. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 14:36 zincthallinide

Really though, it's one of those 'buy one get one free' TV commercial type things where it's all marketing, since they're not currently selling only one of their amazing product at a time anyway..

Also, Pocket Fisherman.. heyy.. has anyone ever actually used one of those things?

12. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 14:31 eRe4s3r

Yeah my "origin" page does not even have the sale on it. Gonna complain to EA about this, i mean. i am bored, and grumpy! perfect combination

Edit: Wow, i just discovered that i can not sent a simple support email to the customer service, it only allows me to select games, not Origin itself.

Only way to even contact support ABOUT origin is to cheat the region detection, wtf?

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 2011, 14:36.

11. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 14:17 eunichron

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 14:05:
For some reason i see neither the sale mentioned nor the games mentioned. Looks to be an US only offer.

Half tempted to ask EA about that...

The full list of games is buy any 2 of these:
Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age: Origins II
Dead Space 2
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Counter-Strike: Source
Bulletstorm
Left4Dead
Left4Dead 2

... and get one of these for free:
Medal of Honor
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Mass Effect 2
Dead Space
The Saboteur

All of the paid titles are $19.99, except for Crysis and DA:O II which are $29.99.

Wouldn't be a bad deal at all if I didn't already own most of those titles.

The SW:TOR pre-order thing; yes they charge you $5 to pre-order, but the price of the game when you pre-order $54.99, making the total price for a pre-order $59.99... the same price it will be at retail launch. Are you guys even trying anymore?

10. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 14:06 eRe4s3r

I pay 30$ more on Steam if i pre-order... think about that

If Origin has no proxy-defense....

9. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 14:05 eRe4s3r

For some reason i see neither the sale mentioned nor the games mentioned. Looks to be an US only offer.

Half tempted to ask EA about that...

8. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 13:57 theyarecomingforyou

[VG]Reagle wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 13:40:
Misleading title. These games are electronic and require steam. So you can launch them through Origin but you need steam.
No, it's not misleading. All Steamworks titles - wherever they're bought - require Steam.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

7. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 13:56 Dades

Fion wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 13:08:
EA can suck it. You know Origin is charging people $5 on top of the game's price to pre-order The Old Republic? That's right charging EXTRA to pre-order a game!

I'm still amazed they have some deluded defenders around here. That kind of predatory pricing is exactly what EA will be squeezing everyone with if Origin ever takes off, make no mistake.

6. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 13:40 [VG]Reagle

Misleading title. These games are electronic and require steam. So you can launch them through Origin but you need steam.

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

5. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 13:37 nin

Does origin now show system requirements, specifically that it requires steam? I looke don both the CSS and LFD2 pages.

Looks like it's only physical copies, too.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 13:26 vrok

Fion wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 13:08:
EA can suck it. You know Origin is charging people $5 on top of the game's price to pre-order The Old Republic? That's right charging EXTRA to pre-order a game!
The game is terrible. You should be thankful that they're making you reconsider buying it.

3. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 13:08 Fion

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 2011, 13:16.

2. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 13:04 GunSpeed

Good, next we should see an integration with both clients...

Steam makes it easier to invite your friends to join your steam enabled game.

Supreme Commander 2 is one of those games.

1. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 13:00 Rattlehead

I think it's maybe cause EA published the retail editions or something.  

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo