Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Games on Origin

In an interesting twist to the competition between Valve's Steam and Electronic Arts' Origin, the Origin store is now selling some Valve games, as seen in this buy two get on free promotion, where the games in the "buy two" part include Counter-Strike: Source, Left For Dead: Game Of The Year Edition, and Left For Dead 2. Thanks Joystiq.

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

39. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 20:31 Mashiki Amiketo

PHJF wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 19:11:
Except here's your problem... sales taxes are collected by and for states, not the federal government.
Yeah pretty much. Look at countries where both the state/province plus federal government collects taxes. I pay only a "mere" 13% sales tax(federal and provincial) here. Or look at greece, their VAT is now pushing upwards of 35%.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 20:13 theyarecomingforyou

PHJF wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 19:11:
Except here's your problem... sales taxes are collected by and for states, not the federal government.
Except they're not collected. I find it bizarre that the tax system over there is so complicated as to not even work properly - in fact I was surprised to read that sales tax is typically NOT included in displayed prices. Over here everything already has the tax included and it's collected automatically. With US cities and states facing huge deficits it seems like common sense to close tax loop holes and increase taxes / cut spending. Here in the UK we've seen a 2.5% increase in VAT to address our deficit and we have a AAA credit rating, so obviously we're doing something right.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

37. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 19:45 eRe4s3r

With a corporate political complex there is no incentive for the gov to do anything against corporations or their tax evasion, rather they'll raise the "people's" tax, particularly on those who can't easily evade them, poor and middle class citizens and pensioners.

Such a corrupted system also has absolutely NO incentive to hunt down large scale tax-evaders.

36. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 19:30 Slashman

Soooo...Origin is still doing the US only sales thing and screwing people who live in other countries.

I can certainly see that they are no better than Steam. I mean, sure I can't recall an instance in recent times when a Steam sale has NOT applied to me just because I live in the Caribbean.

But hey, Stingingvelvet, come out here and preach more about how EA and Origin are no different from Valve and Steam. You know...just because you happen to live in a place that you don't get screwed by them.

35. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 19:11 PHJF

The US government is in massive debt - like most developed nations - and yet they haven't even considered fixing the tax system so that people... you know, actually pay tax? Surely with internet shopping the way that it is it would make sense to have a unified tax level for all states? I remember reading a few things about Amazon cutting out affiliates to avoid tax and I was amazed that the government had done nothing to address it.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

34. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 19:00 Respen

I hate EA as much as the next guy but seriously, can't we stick to disliking them for legitimate reasons? Getting your panties in a bunch because they require a $5 deposit on a game? Really? How does someone try to get off painting this as an extra $5. That's a completley logical thing to do, I would deffinatley do it if I were a digital retailer and prefer all digital retailers do so to give more accurate pre-sales numbers for various reasons.

EA does plenty wrong itself. Not letting me have my games on Steam and requiring me to use their crappy Origin service and web based browser for battlefield are two great starters.

33. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 18:51 theyarecomingforyou

entr0py wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 16:32:
Basically, if a company does not have offices in a particular state, they are not required to charge sales tax on sales made to that state. Valve has physical offices in Washington, so Washington residents are the only ones who have to pay sales tax for ordering through Steam. EA has offices all over the damn place, so in many states you'll be charged sales tax.
The US government is in massive debt - like most developed nations - and yet they haven't even considered fixing the tax system so that people... you know, actually pay tax? Surely with internet shopping the way that it is it would make sense to have a unified tax level for all states? I remember reading a few things about Amazon cutting out affiliates to avoid tax and I was amazed that the government had done nothing to address it.

32. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 18:37 Kosumo

Frijoles wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 15:37:
I hate it when they run out of 1s and 0s and have to make more. Good thing we have that $5 charge.

Fuck EA.

I've heard that they are getting all their 1s for Africa super cheap and they are cutting down rain forest in Brazil for the 0s.

Still gotta ship them to the factory and that cost money (trians, ships and trucks are losing alot of the 1s and 0s overbored, and there and pirates on those seas!)

31. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 18:27 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 16:08:
Erm, surely all stores should be collecting tax? At least, that's how it operates here in Europe.

The internet is still in its Wild West phase over here...

They only collect tax here in the US if they have a physical presence in that State they are selling to. For instance, as long as everything I buy online isn't from the State of Minnesota, I pay no tax.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

30. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 18:08 xXBatmanXx

Not really a story by Joystiq - we have been saying this for weeks, and I mentioned it again earlier today.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

29. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 17:40 Mashiki Amiketo

eunichron wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 14:17:
The SW:TOR pre-order thing; yes they charge you $5 to pre-order, but the price of the game when you pre-order $54.99, making the total price for a pre-order $59.99... the same price it will be at retail launch. Are you guys even trying anymore?
That's still $5 more than what I can get it for in Canada. I can pre-order and pay without taxes, and get it for between $52 and 54.99

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

28. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 17:31 jacobvandy

This is meaningless. Come back when EA starts selling DOTA 2 on Origin, then we'll talk...  

27. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 17:01 Wolfen

Rattlehead wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 13:00:
I think it's maybe cause EA published the retail editions or something.

Yeah, this is what I was gonna guess as well. I am assuming in the contract they must of snuck in something about a online retail store as well or some how have that right to do it via the contract.

I am curious to know what Valve thinks or thought of this when they heard about it.

26. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 16:56 Prez

The tax-exempt internet shopping has a shelf life for certain. It is basically a loophole that needs to be closed in the tax code. Until then, though, I do all the shopping on the internet I can to avoid the sales tax.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 16:32 entr0py

The tax system for online sales is a bit of a cluster here in the US. But EA has no choice in it, they're just following the law.

Basically, if a company does not have offices in a particular state, they are not required to charge sales tax on sales made to that state. Valve has physical offices in Washington, so Washington residents are the only ones who have to pay sales tax for ordering through Steam. EA has offices all over the damn place, so in many states you'll be charged sales tax.

24. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 16:08 nin

Erm, surely all stores should be collecting tax? At least, that's how it operates here in Europe.

The internet is still in its Wild West phase over here...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

23. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 16:02 theyarecomingforyou

Bhruic wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 15:03:
The biggest problem, however, is that they are charging tax. Out of all the DDs that I've used (4 to this point), no other one has charged me tax on a game. So even with sales, Origin can end up costing more than other places - meaning I'll likely never use it as a place to get anything but EA games. Not sure I'd even bother with those, if there are other options (I purchased BF3 through Origin since someone else was paying ;P).
Erm, surely all stores should be collecting tax? At least, that's how it operates here in Europe. Afterall, it's a pretty useless tax system if no-one actually pays it.

22. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 15:59 entr0py

Frijoles wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 15:37:
Fion wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 15:13:
I checked the FAQ for TOR and indeed when you pay the $5 you are paying a fee so that a copy will be available to you when you go to purchase the game

I hate it when they run out of 1s and 0s and have to make more. Good thing we have that $5 charge.

Fuck EA.

They're only going to have a finite number of servers at launch. If they sold every copy they possibly could, there would probably be massive queues like many other MMO launches.

And the $5 refundable downpayment is still a hell of a lot better than steam, which charges the full price the moment you preorder. But not as good as Amazon, which takes preorders with no money down.

21. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 15:55 Warskull

Fion wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 13:08:
EA can suck it. You know Origin is charging people $5 on top of the game's price to pre-order The Old Republic? That's right charging EXTRA to pre-order a game!

One of the things I like about a steam is how they give you 10% off for pre-ordering.

20. Re: Valve Games on Origin Sep 3, 2011, 15:37 Frijoles

Fion wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 15:13:
I checked the FAQ for TOR and indeed when you pay the $5 you are paying a fee so that a copy will be available to you when you go to purchase the game

Fuck EA.

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo