Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month?

DiabloFans.com has word from an Activision/Blizzard business teleconference, reporting "Mike Morhaime said that Diablo 3 would be heading into Beta 'later this month'," though we've seen several indications this may be the friends and family beta, rather than a more widespread test of the action/RPG sequel. They also have a follow-up post with some leaked Diablo III beta video which may not last long.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month? Sep 4, 2011, 11:33 xXBatmanXx

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 23:51:
I liked Titan Quest... ,p

I enjoy it as well. A nice Diablo clone. You MUST play with the Immortal Throne addon though. Otherwise it isn't that good.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month? Sep 3, 2011, 23:51 eRe4s3r

I liked Titan Quest... ,p  

34. Re: Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month? Sep 3, 2011, 21:52 Dirwulf

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 13:20:
Well you have a point Before its out its all fishing in the fog on my part... we'll see.

Still i think you now heard of Grim Dawn and if you find out who makes the game, and which game they made before you'd know why its far above Diablo 3 in my hype meter ;p

Crate Entertainment? They haven't released any other games. Unless you are referring to some of the founders original company, Iron Lore, which made the mediocre Titan Quest, which didn't even sell enough to keep the studio open. Or their "help" on Soulstorm. No, I don't know why its far above Diablo 3 on your hype meter.

33. Re: Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month? Sep 3, 2011, 13:20 eRe4s3r

Well you have a point Before its out its all fishing in the fog on my part... we'll see.

Still i think you now heard of Grim Dawn and if you find out who makes the game, and which game they made before you'd know why its far above Diablo 3 in my hype meter ;p

32. Re: Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month? Sep 3, 2011, 13:15 eRe4s3r

google "hosts mvps"

It filters out youtube ads just fine ;p (though maybe its something else i did, but i never seen any ads on youtube..)

31. Re: Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month? Sep 3, 2011, 12:56 Fion

In the end Blizzard could remove all but one of the classes, charge a fee for each level and make you buy every dungeon and they'd still sell two million copies just with pre-orders. It's rather pathetic, but it's true.

On the topic of 3dfx, I owned a Voodoo 2 12mb card back in the day myself. I remember playing games like Quake 2, one of the earliest to support a 3d graphics card and blowing my friends away with all the features they didn't see on their end. Such as the color highlights and the cool fx. It was an experience that changed the face of PC Gaming to be sure, and while all my friends thought I was nuts spending $250 on a high end video card, after seeing what it did to Quake 2, they all went out and got one for themselves lol.

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 2011, 13:05.

30. Re: Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month? Sep 3, 2011, 12:21 WaltC

Luke wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 09:55:
Ahh 3dfx now THAT was a upgrade back then

Yea--I still miss 'em. The company added a lot of color to the market and today we owe the existence of hardware FSAA to 3dfx (the V5 5.5k being the first product to support FSAA in hardware and GLIDE 3.x being the first Windows 3d API to support FSAA), among many other things. If FSAA had been left up to nVidia--I'm not entirely sure that even today, a decade later, that we'd have it! nVidia fought FSAA tooth & nail, but only for so long as it took them to develop a GPU of their own that would support it properly 3dfx was a gas!...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

29. Re: Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month? Sep 3, 2011, 10:39 xXBatmanXx

Any new Diablo is good Diablo. Just concerned about it also being on console...  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

28. removed Sep 3, 2011, 10:24 Angrius Maximis

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 4, 2011, 12:41.

27. Re: Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month? Sep 3, 2011, 10:15 Wallshadows

D3 is also gonna be completely stomped by Grim Dawn (both graphically and in style from what is predictable), and Skyrim+mods for those who'd rather play offline and SP with a decent story.

I think you are greatly underestimating the fan base which Blizzard has built up in the Diablo series to pull out that type of card so quick especially when you are simply providing a visual inspection with no hands on approach for either title.

This is the first clue which makes me wonder if you know what you're talking about because Diablo has never been a title which pushes the envelop in the eye candy department.

Second, I've never heard of Grim Dawn but comparing Diablo to an Elder Scrolls title is also a little silly. While they both share a hack and slash system in a fantasy world, that's where they both take entirely different paths. If I have to explain why, then this is the second clue which makes me wonder if you know what you are talking about.

Third, modding, while popular was by no means the selling point to the Diablo series. Diablo 2 solidified its replayability by implementing the ladder system on top of an already extremely popular closed B.net multiplayer. While closed was plagued by duped items, it still retained a huge amount of players across the realms.

Fourth, the constant internet connection issues. Really? 2011 and people are worried about being unable to connect to a game which they likely spent most of their time on in multiplayer anyway?

Take your own advice in which you told me and stop being 'that guy'

Heres an idea, don't like it, don't buy it. The servers are gonna be much more pleasant without grumpy ranters.

26. Re: Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month? Sep 3, 2011, 09:55 Luke

WaltC wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 09:36:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 03:27:
Well as with all opinions to all my subjective statements you could add at the end something like "imo"

And people didn't just bash D2 for its graphics but for its even at the time horridly outdated engine, i mean they offered Glide support, in 2000! At that time 3dfx didn't even make cards that supported glide anymore, and indeed stopped existing proper.

And D3D and OpenGL support was substandard (only later patches fixed that to some extend)

If D3 looks aged today its not a good sign imo.

Your memory is a little off...;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3dfx
3dfx didn't expire until 2002, actually. Back in 2000, Glide was still a very widespread API--At that time I had an extensive GLIDE games library--as did anyone who had started gaming in '96-97 with the Voodoo1--the first 3d card that allowed 3d-game play at a frame rate that wasn't a slide show. D3D (DX) did not actually catch up to the functionality GLIDE offered until DX7.x, or so. It was around 2000-2001 that 3dfx announced it was ending GLIDE support and moving everything to D3D. Shortly after that, because of bad management mistakes relating to 3dfx's purchase of the STB factory in Mexico, the end came upon them and the giant amoeba nVidia swallowed 3dfx whole in a single bite, leaving naught but 3dfx's bleached bones glinting in the sun ...;)

Ahh 3dfx now THAT was a upgrade back then

25. Re: Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month? Sep 3, 2011, 09:36 WaltC

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 03:27:
Well as with all opinions to all my subjective statements you could add at the end something like "imo"

And people didn't just bash D2 for its graphics but for its even at the time horridly outdated engine, i mean they offered Glide support, in 2000! At that time 3dfx didn't even make cards that supported glide anymore, and indeed stopped existing proper.

And D3D and OpenGL support was substandard (only later patches fixed that to some extend)

Your memory is a little off...;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3dfx
3dfx didn't expire until 2002, actually. Back in 2000, Glide was still a very widespread API--At that time I had an extensive GLIDE games library--as did anyone who had started gaming in '96-97 with the Voodoo1--the first 3d card that allowed 3d-game play at a frame rate that wasn't a slide show. D3D (DX) did not actually catch up to the functionality GLIDE offered until DX7.x, or so. It was around 2000-2001 that 3dfx announced it was ending GLIDE support and moving everything to D3D. Shortly after that, because of bad management mistakes relating to 3dfx's purchase of the STB factory in Mexico, the end came upon them and the giant amoeba nVidia swallowed 3dfx whole in a single bite, leaving naught but 3dfx's bleached bones glinting in the sun ...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

24. Re: Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month? Sep 3, 2011, 09:36 Slashman

And look...yet another Blizzard title that I won't be buying and feel no sense of loss from. Warcraft 3 was my last game purchased from them.  

23. removed Sep 3, 2011, 08:58 gwegw

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 3, 2011, 10:40.

22. Re: Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month? Sep 3, 2011, 05:54 WyldKat

hrdlroam wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 04:40:
An Ad before the video (=Ad)?

Are people really ok with this?

"Hey, here look at that commercial, so you can look at the commercial you want to see!"

Silly.

I despise that sort of thing, especially when it's a 30 second unskippable ad to watch a 2 minute trailer.

21. Re: Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month? Sep 3, 2011, 04:40 hrdlroam

An Ad before the video (=Ad)?

Are people really ok with this?

"Hey, here look at that commercial, so you can look at the commercial you want to see!"

Silly.

20. Re: Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month? Sep 3, 2011, 03:53 Luke

This is one of the big reasons as to why they want to make this title require a constant internet connection and prevent the economy from becoming a joke by holding all the key files on their end rather then placing them all on a users system and be open for duplication or hacking especially with their new real money auction house.

maybe.. good luck with the game

19. Re: Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month? Sep 3, 2011, 03:32 Cram

I can't say how D3's graphics will effect the game down the road. Should be interesting to watch, but right now, imo, I find it difficult to see graphics being in any way one of this games downfalls. Nothing Blizzard ever released was graphically up-to-date for the time at which the game was released.  

18. Re: Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month? Sep 3, 2011, 03:27 eRe4s3r

17. Re: Diablo III Footage, Beta This Month? Sep 3, 2011, 03:11 Cram

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 02:58:
But it'll also absolutely kill all modding, and the mods the only thing keeping D2 alive right now.

Tell that to the 50,000 people that were online playing Ladder on US-West earlier today. Granted a few dozen of them (lol?) were bots, still. Modding is great, it's not solely what's keeping the game alive. The game itself is simply a timeless classic for many many people in its original state.

Graphics. Well back in 2000 when Diablo 2 was released, everyone was bitching about how dated it looked too. 11 years later, again, 50,000 people are still playing it online on one of few available realms. I do not disagree with your opinion about what we've seen maybe looking dated, but it looks substantially better than D2, and I still love D2 graphics. I still love D1's graphics, for that matter. Note that a lot of what we've seen on the beta have been shaky cam, or ninja'd screenshots, or shots taken on blatantly bad computers. The latest batch of beta ninja'd screenshots were taken by somebody playing on a non-widescreen monitor at weak resolution. According to sources, they were taken by some recently fired Blizzard employee. They look so bad, infact, that it almost seems like this person purposely took as awful quality screenshots as they possibly could just to instigate more graphic flame war discussions on fan sites. No one will really know until they load up the game themselves on max settings as to how it really looks, I guess.

I don't know anything about Grim Dawn, I will look into it. PoE, still waiting for my beta invite with anticipation. Torchlight 2, day one buy.

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 2011, 03:27.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo