Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Richard Garriott on Ultima

IndustryGamers has thoughts from game designer, amateur astronaut, and Lord British Richard Garriott on the prospect of returning to the Ultima series of RPGs he originated in the early days of computer gaming. The franchise is currently dormant, but remains the property of EA, who have owned it since buying Origin Systems, the development studio Garriott formed with his brother Robert. Here's what came up following a question about EA applying the Origin name to their new online service:

"I find the use of the word Ultima to be more interesting as they’ve tried to give that legs again. I hope that Ultima does survive forever, yet I also, of course, have my own very particular ideas for what Ultima can and should become over time and so we’ll see if they do things quite the way I would do them... since I’m not there at the moment," he commented.

IndustryGamers asked Garriott if he could still collaborate with EA. "We would be open to that. In fact, we’ve had some discussions at what I’ll call very high levels, but the individuals who are currently shepherding the property don’t seem to be particularly interested in that, so we’ll see," he replied. "Who knows? You never know what’s going to happen in the future... the doors always open if they were ever interested."

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Richard Garriott on Ultima Sep 3, 2011, 13:43 Silicon Avatar

commonperson wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 06:39:
Garriott drives me nuts, people look up to him but really what has he produced since Ultima Online? One failed half assed project after another. I loved Ultima growing up, I played all of them even the 3D Eye of the Beholder-esque ones and I followed Garriot for years afterwards but with the disapointment of Tabula Rasa and his weird "showmanship" with his castle and whinging on about not being an Astronaut I realised he's just a really weird creepy and slightly sad man who's best work is behind him.

Eh, that's too much hate really. The dude had to get surgery and learn Russian to go into space. It wasn't a road trip to Vegas. He's got a pretty long and cool list of life accomplishments whether he ever makes another game or not. Yeah, he's wealthy, but if you read about him he does some pretty cool and generous things with his cash. That's more than I can say for a lot of rich people.

But, yeah, the games he's made after Ultima haven't stacked up and I get the feeling he is washed up on that front and/or is just doing it for kicks anyway.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Richard Garriott on Ultima Sep 3, 2011, 12:32 Creston

Jonny wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 10:41:
"What of my companions, Iolo, Shamino and Dupre?"
"I'm afraid I've given them the boot. Instead you shall be provided with a bitchy Ice Queen, a man tormented by a Tragic Past, a naive girl and a homicidal comedy sidekick."

Hahahaha, bravo.

Creston

21. Re: Richard Garriott on Ultima Sep 3, 2011, 12:31 Creston

Fucking EA.

"We've got all these interesting IPs that we want to rape for more cash reboot. You know, luminal titles such as fucking Road Rash, or Desert Strike!"

What about Ultima?

"Well, Richard Garriot has talked to us about doing another Ultima, but yeah, we're just not interested."

Fuck, what a bunch of cunts.

Creston

20. Re: Richard Garriott on Ultima Sep 3, 2011, 12:14 The Half Elf

Cutter wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 21:34:
It pisses me off to no end when publishers just sit on all these classic IPs. Don't want to use it? Sell it! It's such a waste.

There's no reason that Ricky can't create a new CRPG series though. Selling Ultima to EA was just a huge mistake.

EA twice tried to do something with Ultima. Ultima Online 2, and Ultima X or Ultima Online X (not sure what it was called exactly).

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

19. Re: Richard Garriott on Ultima Sep 3, 2011, 10:48 Zanthar

Hey Rich... go into space again, but this time stay there.  

18. Re: Richard Garriott on Ultima Sep 3, 2011, 10:41 Jonny

commonperson wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 06:39:
I wish EA would do something with Ultima, they could give it to freaking Bioware to make something interesting out of (since Bioware handle their RPG and MMO division) hell even something to go up against the Elder Scrolls but goodness knows if they will or not. EA make weird business decisions.

Please no, Bioware games have the same kind of comfort food vibe as Star Wars or a Big Mac. That doesn't make them bad by any measure, but they're totally different to Ultima. They're about as different as you can get while still being in the same genre. Give Bioware an Ultima game and it'll turn out like this:

"Greetings Lord British, I am the Avatar!"
"Salutations Avatar, have you finished the introductory sequence?"
"Yes, my liege."
"Excellent, now you are ready to go to four different places and return to me the widgets therein, before embarking on The Final Battle."
"At once my lord, shall I make moral choices along the way?"
"If you must, it won't make any difference to what happens."
"What of my companions, Iolo, Shamino and Dupre?"
"I'm afraid I've given them the boot. Instead you shall be provided with a bitchy Ice Queen, a man tormented by a Tragic Past, a naive girl and a homicidal comedy sidekick."

17. removed Sep 3, 2011, 09:10 gwegw

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 3, 2011, 10:40.

16. Re: removed Sep 3, 2011, 08:11 pagb

Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 21:13:
Please no more MMO's Rich - they suck, and you suck at them anyway.

Seriously though, I think a lot could still be done with the Ultima brand.
UO still pisses over most MMOs, too bad the gameplay is seriously outdated :/

15. Re: Richard Garriott on Ultima Sep 3, 2011, 07:49 Steelcamp

Akuinnen wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 00:19:
It pisses me off to no end when publishers just sit on all these classic IPs.

It's true and sad, EA is sitting on a lot of them. I would love to see a new Wing Commander or Crusader game.

A new crusader game would be f'ing awesome!!!!

-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

14. Re: Richard Garriott on Ultima Sep 3, 2011, 06:39 commonperson

Garriott drives me nuts, people look up to him but really what has he produced since Ultima Online? One failed half assed project after another. I loved Ultima growing up, I played all of them even the 3D Eye of the Beholder-esque ones and I followed Garriot for years afterwards but with the disapointment of Tabula Rasa and his weird "showmanship" with his castle and whinging on about not being an Astronaut I realised he's just a really weird creepy and slightly sad man who's best work is behind him.

I wish EA would do something with Ultima, they could give it to freaking Bioware to make something interesting out of (since Bioware handle their RPG and MMO division) hell even something to go up against the Elder Scrolls but goodness knows if they will or not. EA make weird business decisions.

13. Re: Richard Garriott on Ultima Sep 3, 2011, 06:26 Esoteric

I'll take an Asheron's Call 3. More like the 1st than the 2nd. And I know it has nothing to do with Garriot.  

12. Re: Richard Garriott on Ultima Sep 3, 2011, 00:19 Akuinnen

It pisses me off to no end when publishers just sit on all these classic IPs.

It's true and sad, EA is sitting on a lot of them. I would love to see a new Wing Commander or Crusader game.

11. Re: Richard Garriott on Ultima Sep 3, 2011, 00:09 Tom

There can never be another real Ultima game. Really. Do you see any modern developer/publisher being able to make it happen? No way. Modders can't touch it either.

Ultima died with Ultima IX. RIP

10. Re: Richard Garriott on Ultima Sep 3, 2011, 00:07 JohnBirshire

Exploring Britannia in Ultima 7 was one of my top 3 greatest memories in my gaming history. First time exiting the starter dungeon in Elder Scrolls : Arena was another. First time being PK'ed in UO in summer of 97 was a mind opening experience as well.  

9. Re: Richard Garriott on Ultima Sep 3, 2011, 00:02 Silicon Avatar

If you read the article, to me it just sounds like Garriot wants to put Ultima on his new Facebook game company.

Meh.

If he's not going to make a real Ultima game out of it I just couldn't care less.

8. Re: Richard Garriott on Ultima Sep 2, 2011, 22:56 Cutter

Well if EA has zero interest in it, I don't see why he's wasting time. He can easily create a new IP that's a *wink wink* hommage to Ultima but would be a new series entirely. It could have all new original characters like Lord English and Lord Whitethorne, et al. I'm sure if it had the same scope and quality of the previous games people would buy them no problem.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

7. Re: Richard Garriott on Ultima Sep 2, 2011, 22:18 Prez

There's no reason that Ricky can't create a new CRPG series though. Selling Ultima to EA was just a huge mistake.

No doubt he has come to realize that all too well over time.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: removed Sep 2, 2011, 22:06 LittleMe

Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 21:13:
Please no more MMO's Rich - they suck, and you suck at them anyway.

Seriously though, I think a lot could still be done with the Ultima brand.

I'd love to see U4 or U7 re-done on the Skyrim engine. It would sell like hotcakes too. No, even better.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

5. Re: Richard Garriott on Ultima Sep 2, 2011, 21:37 Sho

I normally frown upon shop links and stuff, but GoG.com currently has Ultima 4 for free, so I'll make an exception: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/ultima_4  

4. Re: Richard Garriott on Ultima Sep 2, 2011, 21:34 Cutter

It pisses me off to no end when publishers just sit on all these classic IPs. Don't want to use it? Sell it! It's such a waste.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo