Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. Sep 2, 2011, 21:15 TurdFergasun

Beamer wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 14:07:
Why? Because it isn't that easy. They have deals with the content providers and deals with the cable providers that a web-only service would violate.

Navigating through that would be very costly and difficult, if not impossible at this point.

Oh, well, guess it's just another "corporations are stupid" comment without more than a split second of thought behind it.

ohhh poor conglomerates, they've spun a web trying to help the incumbent cable providers wrap their monopolies on local media delivery, and access. why won't someone shed a tear for all the lawyers currently making a fortune glad-handing their way through backdoor shady deals to trickle a few morsels of video to the unwashed masses toiling in the mud of the inernets.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 2, 2011, 17:38 Tumbler

Starz is making a stupid move. The only reason I watched Spartacus was because it was on Netflix. I have Starz on my cable sub only because it came with HBO in a bundle. I'm going to cancel that in a month or so and possibly nuke most of my cable bill.

I don't want to pay my cable company for these channels. I would happily pay netflix to subscribe though.

Those sub channels would be wise to start offering those channels via the web charging customers directly. They would be even smarter to partner with netflix and let me pay a sub fee through netflix.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

15. Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. Sep 2, 2011, 16:02 Dades

Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 14:45:
Oh Jesus tap-dancing Christ, give it a rest with your know-it-all, one-note sorry defense of poor, persecuted corporations already!

To put it bluntly, I don't give a FUCK about the corporations; I'm a consumer- therefore I DON'T FUCKING HAVE TO. Christ almighty, I prefer to have civil discussions but your incessant bleating about the poor corporations, not to mention your standoffish and arrogant attitude, is positively maddening.

About time someone put him in his place, well done.

14. Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. Sep 2, 2011, 15:29 PropheT

Oh, well, guess it's just another "corporations are stupid" comment without more than a split second of thought behind it.

You know, practically everyone else other than HBO has other options to get the shows. You can watch them online, watch them on Hulu, or buy them through Amazon's instant video service. You can at least get them.

Not HBO. I fucking HAVE HBO, but since I don't have one of the major three cable providers they support with GO, oops, I'm out of luck. No streaming for me. No other options. I pay the fee for the channel but would have to pirate the shows to get the same thing out of it.

It's not exactly unreasonable to want these guys to make their stuff actually available to people that want it. If you have someone that wants to buy what you're selling and you do nothing to make it available to them, I can't see how that's not a problem.

13. Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. Sep 2, 2011, 15:25 kanniballl

Tehol wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 15:21:
ya, watch tv shows on tv.
what's the matter with you all uber elites?

Eh, Starz isn't TV... it's mostly just more movies. They only have a handful of TV shows: the Spartacus series, Torchwood Miracle Day, and one or two others.

It consisted of a large percentage of Netflix's movie library.

That all being said, I prefer to just DVR the current my TV shows and watch on TV. But via Hulu and Netflix I was able to go back and watch past seasons of a lot of shows whenever I wanted.

Oh, and all on my TV which is compatible with both.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

12. Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. Sep 2, 2011, 15:21 Tehol

ya, watch tv shows on tv.
what's the matter with you all uber elites?

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 2, 2011, 15:21 End Sinister

I heard a guy on CNBC say that all this means is Netflix says they can find "similar content" somewhere else for about the same price as Stars is charging. Good for them.  

Shout ouuuuuuts!!!
CrankyGeeks.com Revision3.com TikiBarTV.com
LiamLynch.net DigitalBlasphemy.com MTVMusic.com

10. Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. Sep 2, 2011, 15:20 Prez

Yes, you're a consumer and should be able to get what you want.

That's not how I feel. I'm not entitled to anything, after all. But as a consumer, I'm allowed to want what I want regardless of what lame excuses exist (it's not my fault corporations locked themselves into backwards deals, after all) that preclude me from getting what I want.

I wasn't screaming in a fit of rage (well, not before Beamer came in the thread in his usual pompous manner anyway); my attitude is that if they can't find a way to meet a large segment of potential customers' needs, and greatly expand their own revenue potential in the process, that's their loss. Why they can't or won't is immaterial to me. In other words, I don't give a rat's ass.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. Sep 2, 2011, 15:09 kanniballl

Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 14:45:
Oh Jesus tap-dancing Christ, give it a rest with your know-it-all, one-note sorry defense of poor, persecuted corporations already!

To put it bluntly, I don't give a FUCK about the corporations; I'm a consumer- therefore I DON'T FUCKING HAVE TO. Christ almighty, I prefer to have civil discussions but your incessant bleating about the poor corporations, not to mention your standoffish and arrogant attitude, is positively maddening.

It's not a stubborn statement. Yes, you're a consumer and should be able to get what you want. But if prior agreements between 2 other parties are in place, then you can't just magically make all of that disappear. Especially if it's about licensing / copyright / distribution.

I'm sure HBO would LOVE to open up a new revenue stream; people without Cable that want to pay for their content. But I'm sure their current deals prevent it.

• I want to read comics online, and like Comixology's selection. A large collection of DC, Marvel, etc.

• But I also want to download the comics to my laptop instead of only streaming so I can read them on the plane / car / etc.

• But perhaps Comixology has strict agreements with the various publishers that will ONLY stream onto computers... else making it too easy to post the comics on Torrent.

• But I don't care, I'm a customer. I want it NOW.

• Comixology politely says "Sucks for our, DC and Marvel throw more weight around than you. And our large customer base seems to be fine with it as-is."

• In the case of HBO and the cable companies, if HBO pisses off Comcast / Verizon / Time Warner / etc then they're in a more dangerous position. HBO NEEDS the cable companies to air their content on TV... no matter what we're still at the point where TV consumers will far out-weigh people that are willing to just get it on the computer.

People without decent computers / broad band / etc. Old timers that have a hard enough time figuring out the DVR and on-screen Guide let alone watching something on their "computer machine." People with younger kids that just want to let them turn the TV on/off without them worrying about them deleting their tax returns. etc

All of those outweigh people that read tech websites that would LOVE to cancel their cable TV and just subscribe to a few things on a Home Media Center. So they can't rock the boat too much with their Cable company agreements.

-
    This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2011, 15:21.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 2, 2011, 15:05 HorrorScope

I would so not want to be sitting on Netflix stock now. You should have off loaded by now. There is nothing and I mean nothing lining up for them correctly at this time.  

7. Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. Sep 2, 2011, 14:45 Prez

Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 14:03:
    nin wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 13:53:
    I wouldn't be surprised if the get with the HBO-Go route.

Why HBO doesn't allow web only subscriptions is beyond me. I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

Yup. I'd sign up for Showtime as well as HBO if they did web-streaming only. Oh well, guess they don't want my money.

Why? Because it isn't that easy. They have deals with the content providers and deals with the cable providers that a web-only service would violate.

Navigating through that would be very costly and difficult, if not impossible at this point.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
    - Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. Sep 2, 2011, 14:31 nin

Yup. I'd sign up for Showtime as well as HBO if they did web-streaming only. Oh well, guess they don't want my money.

Yeah, it's like they don't. If you're a cable subscriber to HBO, you can stream over the web all you want. But if you only want streaming? They provide you a link to your cable operator.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 2, 2011, 14:26 Dades

Maybe the corporation is stupid because this situation keeps cropping up over and over again with consumer media.  

4. Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. Sep 2, 2011, 14:07 Beamer

Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 14:03:

Why HBO doesn't allow web only subscriptions is beyond me. I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

-------------
    Music for the discerning:
    http://www.deathwishinc.com
    http://www.hydrahead.com
    http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. Sep 2, 2011, 14:03 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. Sep 2, 2011, 13:53 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. Sep 2, 2011, 13:46 kanniballl

Yeh, that sucks big time.

Starz really added a lot of value to Netflix's OnDemand/WatchNow feature. Without it there's a lot less incentive to stick around unless they can do something to add more videos.

I wouldn't be surprised if the get with the HBO-Go route. It ensures that only subscribers watch, therefore people have more incentive to subscribe... instead of just seeing what's on Netflix.

-Fry, Futurama

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo