Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
9. Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. Sep 2, 2011, 15:09 kanniballl

Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 14:45:
Oh Jesus tap-dancing Christ, give it a rest with your know-it-all, one-note sorry defense of poor, persecuted corporations already!

To put it bluntly, I don't give a FUCK about the corporations; I'm a consumer- therefore I DON'T FUCKING HAVE TO. Christ almighty, I prefer to have civil discussions but your incessant bleating about the poor corporations, not to mention your standoffish and arrogant attitude, is positively maddening.

It's not a stubborn statement. Yes, you're a consumer and should be able to get what you want. But if prior agreements between 2 other parties are in place, then you can't just magically make all of that disappear. Especially if it's about licensing / copyright / distribution.

I'm sure HBO would LOVE to open up a new revenue stream; people without Cable that want to pay for their content. But I'm sure their current deals prevent it.

• I want to read comics online, and like Comixology's selection. A large collection of DC, Marvel, etc.

• But I also want to download the comics to my laptop instead of only streaming so I can read them on the plane / car / etc.

• But perhaps Comixology has strict agreements with the various publishers that will ONLY stream onto computers... else making it too easy to post the comics on Torrent.

• But I don't care, I'm a customer. I want it NOW.

• Comixology politely says "Sucks for our, DC and Marvel throw more weight around than you. And our large customer base seems to be fine with it as-is."

• In the case of HBO and the cable companies, if HBO pisses off Comcast / Verizon / Time Warner / etc then they're in a more dangerous position. HBO NEEDS the cable companies to air their content on TV... no matter what we're still at the point where TV consumers will far out-weigh people that are willing to just get it on the computer.

People without decent computers / broad band / etc. Old timers that have a hard enough time figuring out the DVR and on-screen Guide let alone watching something on their "computer machine." People with younger kids that just want to let them turn the TV on/off without them worrying about them deleting their tax returns. etc

All of those outweigh people that read tech websites that would LOVE to cancel their cable TV and just subscribe to a few things on a Home Media Center. So they can't rock the boat too much with their Cable company agreements.

-
    This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2011, 15:21.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama
    Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
      1. Sep 2, 13:46 Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. kanniballl
      2. Sep 2, 13:53  Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. nin
      3. Sep 2, 14:03   Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. Prez
      4. Sep 2, 14:07    Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. Beamer
      7. Sep 2, 14:45     Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. Prez
    >> 9. Sep 2, 15:09      Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. kanniballl
      10. Sep 2, 15:20       Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. Prez
      12. Sep 2, 15:21       Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. Tehol
      13. Sep 2, 15:25        Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. kanniballl
      15. Sep 2, 16:02      Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. Dades
      14. Sep 2, 15:29     Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. PropheT
      17. Sep 2, 21:15     Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. TurdFergasun
      6. Sep 2, 14:31    Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. nin
      5. Sep 2, 14:26 Re: Morning Metaverse Dades
      8. Sep 2, 15:05 Re: Morning Metaverse HorrorScope
      11. Sep 2, 15:21 Re: Morning Metaverse End Sinister
      16. Sep 2, 17:38 Re: Morning Metaverse Tumbler

footer

Blue's News logo