Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ads in Violent Games Less Effective?

The University of Texas at Austin announces the results of a study suggesting in-game advertisements are less effective in violent games:

The study, the first to confirm the link between increased video game violence and impaired in-game ad effectiveness, was authored by College of Communication researchers Seung-Chul Yoo, a doctoral candidate in the Department of Advertising, and Jorge Peña, assistant professor in the Department of Communication Studies. It appears in the July/August issue of Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking.

"Although violent video games are very popular and can reach a young, highly engaged audience, their effectiveness as an advertising medium is questionable," said Peña. "Our study demonstrates that featured violence diminishes brand memory and primes more negative attitudes toward the brand."

As part of the study, participants played one of two video games with embedded advertisements. The violent video game featured computer-operated avatars holding guns and shooting at the participant as he or she navigated through virtual rooms drenched in blood. In contrast, the non-violent video games featured the same avatars holding nothing and the virtual rooms were soaked in water.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Ads in Violent Games Less Effective? Aug 31, 2011, 16:41 Cutter

If anything in-game ads tend to piss me off so I react very negatively to them and make a mental note to never support said company if possible.

And were the ads sexual in nature? Everyone knows sex and violence go together. Eros and Thanatos.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Ads in Violent Games Less Effective? Aug 31, 2011, 16:00 Beamer

Same here, I rarely even notice them, they server no purpose except for the idiots who placed them there to begin with. Companies haven’t learned yet, that when you force something upon someone all they do is rebel against it and get angry that you have to look at it or be bothered with it.

Yup, companies haven't learned, which is why we see so many in-game ads and why Massive exists and is turning huge profits.

Wait, no, neither of those things are true. Also not true is that "companies haven't learned." Companies still try, as figuring this out would greatly reduce the burden on developers, but they're also aware that it's a compromise and only works in places it makes sense. Real ads in sports games - makes sense. Verizon ads in Alan Wake - obtrusive (but the result of desperation.) Pepsi ads in BF2142 - makes no sense.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Ads in Violent Games Less Effective? Aug 31, 2011, 15:55 LemonJoose

To have true comparability between the violent and non-violent games, the non-violent game should have used paintball guns and had the rooms drenched in blue paint. All they have shown is that action games distract the player from in-game ads. There is no proof that violence is any more distracting from in-game ads than an equivalent form of non-violent action. However, perhaps their goal was to demonstrate to advertisers that they might be better off putting their ads in games which have less action in general.  

8. Re: Ads in Violent Games Less Effective? Aug 31, 2011, 15:01 JoeNapalm

I just love stuff like this.

"OMGwherearetheyOMGOMGsoscaredOMGOMGOMG...ooh! Pepsi! *BLAM!* thud."

If anything, you're training people to avoid your product. Some poor guy who sucks at games is going to end up with a brand allergy, like in those Gibson books...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

7. Re: Ads in Violent Games Less Effective? Aug 31, 2011, 13:06 JAGUART

I've found they're very effective at producing Brand Annoyance.  
"I like to play female characters in MMORPGs to trick men into homosexual chat." - space captain, June 18th, 2009.

6. Re: Ads in Violent Games Less Effective? Aug 31, 2011, 11:58 Darks

Wolfen wrote on Aug 31, 2011, 10:50:
I don't pay attention to any ads in any game unless its a ad that is a part of the game imagination as well. Real life ads show up, I will intentionally ignore.

Same here, I rarely even notice them, they server no purpose except for the idiots who placed them there to begin with. Companies haven’t learned yet, that when you force something upon someone all they do is rebel against it and get angry that you have to look at it or be bothered with it.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

5. Re: Ads in Violent Games Less Effective? Aug 31, 2011, 11:23 Enahs

So, walking through a room with nothing to do but look at ads in comparable to walking through a room with something to do other then look at ads?

So fing stupid.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

4. Re: Ads in Violent Games Less Effective? Aug 31, 2011, 10:50 Wolfen

I don't pay attention to any ads in any game unless its a ad that is a part of the game imagination as well. Real life ads show up, I will intentionally ignore.  

3. Re: Ads in Violent Games Less Effective? Aug 31, 2011, 10:29 Beelzebud

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo  

2. Re: Ads in Violent Games Less Effective? Aug 31, 2011, 10:03 InBlack

University of Texas.....Figures....  

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: Ads in Violent Games Less Effective? Aug 31, 2011, 09:56 DeadlyAccurate

Or, you know, when you're trying not to die, you're not paying attention to ads.

I guess my zombie repellant ad won't be as effective as I was hoping during the apocalypse.

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo