Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ultima 1-3 on GOG.com

GOG.com now offers Ultima 1+2+3, a bargain bundle of Richard "Lord British" Garriott first three installments in the Ultima series of role-playing games. Here's part of the description for the uninitiated, or the forgetful: "Three epic adventures set in a vast, open world full of mysterious places, evil creatures, and deadly secrets. Find out for yourself how these retro graphics have caused so many sleepless nights."

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Ultima 1-3 on GOG.com Aug 31, 2011, 09:42 Akuinnen

I've been playing Ultima 1 on my Apple IIgs. It's not bad for its time. I might play the rest on my C64. I hear the SID music on those is great.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Ultima 1-3 on GOG.com Aug 31, 2011, 09:09 JohnBirshire

Tanto Edge wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 21:47:
Port it to Android.
Maybe I'll pay for it.

My sentiments exactly! Many old PC classics would be perfect for my cell phone, I really wish they would start porting some of them.

12. Re: Ultima 1-3 on GOG.com Aug 31, 2011, 05:01 beigemore

PsychoMoggieBagpuss wrote on Aug 31, 2011, 03:58:
I picked up a roland MT-32, CM-64 and an SC-88 off ebay over the last couple of years for sod all money. They're all connected to my windows 7 pc via a roland USB to midi converter.
Playing U6 and U7 via dosbox with the full intended midi is pretty fucking awesome. Hell even U8 isn't that bad once you get over the stupid jumping puzzles.

I purchased an MT-32 about 10 years ago and have really enjoyed it. It's a must have if you're into old PC games. I do also want to say, however, that Roland MT-32 emulation is pretty freakin' impressive now. It's actually difficult to distinguish the emulation from the real thing now. You may want to check that out, as it can free up some spare room on your desk, but I know how awesome it is seeing that green backlit LCD going to down with midi music.

Also, I really, truly want to play through Ultima 6 and 7, but I just cannot get into the games. I've tried over and over, and they just feel so clunky. I also watched a play through of Ultima 6 and the overall game was a huge let down. Even though I've not played through it, the soundtrack from Ultima 6 on the MT-32 is one of my absolute favorites. The introduction song, character creation, then the song played after you go through the red gate at the beginning (basically the intro song with with percussion), and then of course, Stones.

I wish they would redo the Ultima games, use the same or very similar storylines, give them modern interfaces/graphics/soundtracks (using the same tunes, of course) and maybe combine 1 through 3 for one game and then 4 through 6 as another game, with each of the original games being one of three chapters.

11. Re: Ultima 1-3 on GOG.com Aug 31, 2011, 03:58 PsychoMoggieBagpuss

I picked up a roland MT-32, CM-64 and an SC-88 off ebay over the last couple of years for sod all money. They're all connected to my windows 7 pc via a roland USB to midi converter.
Playing U6 and U7 via dosbox with the full intended midi is pretty fucking awesome. Hell even U8 isn't that bad once you get over the stupid jumping puzzles.

PMB / Shodan
http:/www.futilez

10. Re: Ultima 1-3 on GOG.com Aug 31, 2011, 02:30 Pineapple Ferguson

U3 was my first RPG experience on my C64 back in the day. Still love it and U4 did nothing but solidify my love for the single-player RPG experience and ensure that I wouldn't kiss a girl until after high school. I'd say it was worth it.  

9. Re: Ultima 1-3 on GOG.com Aug 31, 2011, 01:29 Silicon Avatar

U1-U3 were basically monster grinders. U3 takes a left turn into weird when you get into the story.

I found the NES version somewhere for really cheap and am going through that. It's brutal.

8. Re: Ultima 1-3 on GOG.com Aug 31, 2011, 00:14 zincthallinide

I found Ultima 3 fun back in the day. Ultima 2 is a bit obtuse and Ultima 1 seemed really simplistic even 10 years ago.

The UI for these isn't horrible, beyond being entirely keyboard based with no in-game help.

Re: Populous, similarly it's amazing to me that I beat Dune 2 when it was new - you can only select one unit at a time, there's no hotkey grouping, and it's pretty easy to get entirely stuck on a mission with nowhere to go (if you use poor strategy). The AI is quite horrible even for the time though, which helps a little..

Populous was amazing at the time, but that too, the main screen shows what, 5x5 tiles at a time on a big map? It doesn't seem so amazing now.

7. Re: Ultima 1-3 on GOG.com Aug 30, 2011, 23:47 Cutter

Unlike Hollywood and game publishers remaking a lot of stuff that shouldn't or doesn't need to be remade I would like to see this series brought up to date.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

6. Re: Ultima 1-3 on GOG.com Aug 30, 2011, 23:41 Creston

Gymper wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 21:54:
U3 was a good game in it's day. Unfortunately, it hasn't aged well and there are better options today. It's better left to nostalgia.

There are SOME better options, but not many.

The Ultima series didn't really get going until Ultima 4, however. While there was a rudimentary morality system in Exodus, the whole "eights" and the idea of the Avatar didn't get implemented until the Quest of the Avatar.

I've got all the Ultimas, but whenever I want to play them, I'm always stuck using dosbox and having to pull weird magic out of my ass to get sound. (Not to mention how fun it is to play U4 without a frame limiter. It literally runs at like 800,000 frames per second, which means if you just slightly tap the "north" key, rather than move one character one step north, it'll basically do 489 turns with your characters moving north.)

I realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly hope they'll get the rest of the Ultimas on GOG too. I will happily buy them all over again.

Creston

5. Re: Ultima 1-3 on GOG.com Aug 30, 2011, 23:10 Frijoles

Shok wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 22:31:
I've resigned to not play retro games anymore until I get amnesia

Good news! It's on Steam!

Yeah.. that was a lame joke. I know.

4. Re: Ultima 1-3 on GOG.com Aug 30, 2011, 22:31 Shok

I've resigned to not play retro games anymore until I get amnesia that makes me forget how much user interfaces have evolved in the last 20 years. Believe me, I would love to play the original populous but after five minutes my carpal tunnels are like wtf is this???  

3. Re: Ultima 1-3 on GOG.com Aug 30, 2011, 22:02 Prez

Boy these don't look like they'll tax my Ti 560 too terribly.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: Ultima 1-3 on GOG.com Aug 30, 2011, 21:54 Gymper

U3 was a good game in it's day. Unfortunately, it hasn't aged well and there are better options today. It's better left to nostalgia.  

1. Re: Ultima 1-3 on GOG.com Aug 30, 2011, 21:47 Tanto Edge

Port it to Android.
Maybe I'll pay for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo