Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Stephen Merchant Not Eager to Reprise Portal 2 Experience

Stephen Merchant says his voice work for Portal 2 is one of the most tiring things he's ever done, in talking to FMV Magazine about his role as Wheatley in Valve' platformer sequel. "It seemed like a fun thing to do, but in actual fact it was one of the most tiring things Iíve ever done,Ē the comedian, who has obviously never worked in construction, told the magazine. "I was standing in a recording booth shouting down imaginary corridors and falling out of make-believe ceilings. For hours at a time. And I really wanted to do a good job so I was shouting and screaming and leaping about. The thought of doing it again seems so daunting Iím not sure I can face it." Thanks CVG.

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: Stephen Merchant Not Eager to Reprise Portal 2 Experience Sep 1, 2011, 12:34 Creston

Grumpy Sod wrote on Aug 31, 2011, 08:16:
To repeat again, since everyone seems to be following a herd and not reading the words for themselves, he said 'tiring' and 'daunting'. Now while daunting is pretty relative, and I suspect he'd crap himself at the sight of code and being told to write more, he isn't saying it was a difficult job. He's saying it was tiring and he wouldn't want to do it again.

Not to mention, as someone else pointed out, this is like when people go "fuck yeah! game testing!" and then find it's tedious repetition on a micro level. It's not even like his acting would have prepared him for doing retakes on a line by line basis. I for one, while mentally taxed by my programming work, wouldn't ever consider a voice acting job as easier, because it's not what I'm good at. Especially if I then found out I was knackered at the end of every day and hadn't actually had any kind of fun from it.

Acting is his profession, and the voice work isn't something he enjoyed. He never once said "This is the hardest job on the planet", he just said he didn't fancy it again because it was tiring.

For a high density of programmers and developers, people here sure suck at actually checking over content.

Psssttt... hey... come here...
*whispers* "He's being sarcastic."

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: Stephen Merchant Not Eager to Reprise Portal 2 Experience Aug 31, 2011, 21:15 DNForever

Didn't intend to be correcting anything, it just got me on the topic of sitting vs. standing and for me particularly when I sit for more than 1-2 hours I feel the pain.

Sepharo wrote on Aug 31, 2011, 18:54:
Okay two people have "corrected" my comment now.

Guess what? It's a joke. As is god; "nipples for men?!"

52. Re: Stephen Merchant Not Eager to Reprise Portal 2 Experience Aug 31, 2011, 18:54 Sepharo

Okay two people have "corrected" my comment now.

Guess what? It's a joke. As is god; "nipples for men?!"

51. Re: Stephen Merchant Not Eager to Reprise Portal 2 Experience Aug 31, 2011, 18:21 DNForever

Sitting is an unnatural position, far worse than standing up. Bad for circulation, bad for your back, bad for pretty much everything.

Sepharo wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 21:40:
I think he's literally talking about standing for hours on end being tiring, should have just taken a sit break every now and then.

I could never use one of those workstations/desks designed to be stood at all day, gotta be on my fat ass like god intended.

50. Re: Stephen Merchant Not Eager to Reprise Portal 2 Experience Aug 31, 2011, 13:12 Beamer

Blue wrote on Aug 31, 2011, 09:54:
Beamer wrote on Aug 31, 2011, 09:34:
Archer is over

3 more episodes in September.

Ack, I thought this meant it was announced Archer was cancelled or something.

Geez, don't do that to me!!! Tears

What are your three biggest fears?
Being stuck on a boat with you three times.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

49. Re: Stephen Merchant Not Eager to Reprise Portal 2 Experience Aug 31, 2011, 13:09 ^Drag0n^

Beamer wrote on Aug 31, 2011, 09:25:
Jesus, now I'm complaining about complaining about complaining, but some of you really are absolutely miserable human beings.

Oh, quit yer belly-aching!

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

48. lets find out... Aug 31, 2011, 12:47 space captain

how many hands does it take to wield a double-edged sword?  
Go forth, and kill!

47. Re: Stephen Merchant Not Eager to Reprise Portal 2 Experience Aug 31, 2011, 09:54  Blue 

Archer is over

Ack, I thought this meant it was announced Archer was cancelled or something.

Geez, don't do that to me!!! Tears

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

46. Re: Stephen Merchant Not Eager to Reprise Portal 2 Experience Aug 31, 2011, 09:40 Verno

This guy said the work sucked. He will never do it again. Why does this offend you guys so much? Haven't you ever done something that you thought was fun but didn't like? When I was 14 I tried out for the lacrosse team. It sounded like a lot of fun. Well, I got my ass kicked and didn't enjoy it at all. Decided I'd never do it again.

I'm sure to him it was the hardest labor he's ever done but it doesn't stop the rest of us from rolling our eyes. Just like I'm sure someone rolls their eyes when I bitch about the parking situation at my job or whatever. I don't get all uppity and tell people they can't criticize me because everything is just so relative man, whoa. If he's allowed to complain, so are we, Deal with it.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

45. Re: Stephen Merchant Not Eager to Reprise Portal 2 Experience Aug 31, 2011, 09:39 InBlack

InBlack wrote on Aug 31, 2011, 09:29:
Exactly! The point is that he HAS options, when a lot of other people dont. Actors (of the paid variety) have no right to complain about their jobs. Not in my book.

Who cares about your book?
The people of the Sudan think you have no right to complain about anything. Eat a terrible meal? At least you ate!

This guy said the work sucked. He will never do it again. Why does this offend you guys so much? Haven't you ever done something that you thought was fun but didn't like? When I was 14 I tried out for the lacrosse team. It sounded like a lot of fun. Well, I got my ass kicked and didn't enjoy it at all. Decided I'd never do it again.

I'm sure somewhere in Vietnam a 14 year old is spitting at me, telling me that I have no right to complain as I at least had time for recreational sports, he instead spends 18 hours a day making laptops. I have no right to complain, not in his book.

Where did I say that no one has the right to complain? You just complained about hating Lacrose. Who gives a fuck right? Right. Well paid actors complaining about HOW HARD their job is now that is offensive to say the least....

If you dont find that the least bit offensive and snotty, there is something seriously wrong with you.

I have a nifty blue line!

44. Re: Stephen Merchant Not Eager to Reprise Portal 2 Experience Aug 31, 2011, 09:35 InBlack

space captain wrote on Aug 31, 2011, 09:30:
again, in case you guys never heard/watched the ricky gervais show, which this dude is a regular on - he is a jokester, a devils advocate kind of pot stirring guy

You mean like Beamer? Beam

43. Re: Stephen Merchant Not Eager to Reprise Portal 2 Experience Aug 31, 2011, 09:34 Beamer

Archer is over

And Luther, your posts are good.

-------------

42. Re: Stephen Merchant Not Eager to Reprise Portal 2 Experience Aug 31, 2011, 09:34 Beamer

InBlack wrote on Aug 31, 2011, 09:29:
Exactly! The point is that he HAS options, when a lot of other people dont. Actors (of the paid variety) have no right to complain about their jobs. Not in my book.

Who cares about your book?
The people of the Sudan think you have no right to complain about anything. Eat a terrible meal? At least you ate!

I'm sure somewhere in Vietnam a 14 year old is spitting at me, telling me that I have no right to complain as I at least had time for recreational sports, he instead spends 18 hours a day making laptops. I have no right to complain, not in his book.

He's not there saying "woe is me, my life sucked" he's saying "this type of work sucked and I wasn't very good at it. I'd rather do other types instead." I can't understand how this is so offensive.

-------------

41. Re: Stephen Merchant Not Eager to Reprise Portal 2 Experience Aug 31, 2011, 09:31 Verno

space captain wrote on Aug 31, 2011, 09:30:
ive been on both sides of the glass... much more time as an engineer, but i have done voice work as well - it is not "hard", trust me.. ive also moved furniture for a living and VO doesnt come close to that in terms of "tiring"

again, in case you guys never heard/watched the ricky gervais show, which this dude is a regular on - he is a jokester, a devils advocate kind of pot stirring guy

btw its a good show, check it out

Thanks I'll check it out, it's kind of a dry spell on TV these days anyway. Bunch of shitty USA procedurals and Archer is over

40. Re: Stephen Merchant Not Eager to Reprise Portal 2 Experience Aug 31, 2011, 09:30 Luther

but some of you really are absolutely miserable human beings.

Oh, you know. Some days are better than others. Complaining about Thespians sure cheers me up though!

39. Re: Stephen Merchant Not Eager to Reprise Portal 2 Experience Aug 31, 2011, 09:30 space captain

ive been on both sides of the glass... much more time as an engineer, but i have done voice work as well - it is not "hard", trust me.. ive also moved furniture for a living and VO doesnt come close to that in terms of "tiring"

btw its a good show, check it out

Go forth, and kill!

38. Re: Stephen Merchant Not Eager to Reprise Portal 2 Experience Aug 31, 2011, 09:29 InBlack

37. Re: Stephen Merchant Not Eager to Reprise Portal 2 Experience Aug 31, 2011, 09:28 Verno

Generic community complaints hurr durr. You're the one who seems miserable, the rest of us are having a good time

Sure people can complain but when they do it publicly they open themselves up to criticism. This isn't a difficult concept to grasp. I can bitch about my job and when someone calls me on it I don't get all indignant about how they don't get my plight.

36. Re: Stephen Merchant Not Eager to Reprise Portal 2 Experience Aug 31, 2011, 09:25 Beamer

So, next time someone here complains about their job, or their day, or their spouse, or their dog, should we all point out how bad people have it in Darfur and how they should shut up because clearly their life isn't hard?

Can no one complain about something unless they're at the very bottom?

Jesus, now I'm complaining about complaining about complaining, but some of you really are absolutely miserable human beings.

-------------

35. Re: Stephen Merchant Not Eager to Reprise Portal 2 Experience Aug 31, 2011, 09:25 Luther

Yup, that's what grates. Whilst I really enjoyed his performance in Portal 2 (although space sphere gets my vote), if you were one of the real developers you'd have spent years in front of your computer doing complicated and/or skilled for a tiny fraction of the pro rata pay and with none of the usual adulation, interviews and praise that a famous voice actor gets. We get about as much respect as actors did before they unionised.
I'm not going to be too hard on him - he's an actor, I kind of expect most of them to be pampered luvies. I just think he could choose his words better if he doesn't want to sound like a wilting thesp.

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo