Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
2 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 31, 2011, 02:12 Jivaro

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 21:55:
So....I played a little Madden at a friend's...and it seems to me (not having played the last one and only buy them when they are a few years old) that the controls are swapped and changed every year. On top of that, nothing is very intuitive.

I dunno. Also seems like there are LESS calls, and the playbook screen is tiny/not very helpful. I miss the pages and pages of stuff, which is kind of still there, but only shows 3 plays at a time. I understand this when I am playing on a screen against someone, but not when I am playing singleplayer or messign around with different exhibition stuff.

They really haven't done shit with this game in years....

Madden has always been 3 plays at a time and around about the same amount of formations per playbook. You can add some spice to it though since you can use the playbook and gameplan editors before the game, you can add variety to your options as well. The controls changed in 3 minor ways, mostly for before the snap adjustments. This is the second year they are operating without a "turbo" button in the default controls layout, and it is a good change. The animations are more varied and use a physics engine instead of per-determined animation sets, and collisions are much better predicted and shown then in previous years. Of course, that isn't saying much, but still. They did improve facial representations, as well as stadiums etc, but none of that is what I would call "important". What is important is that the AI has gotten better, kicking field goals is a bit more challenging, and special teams actually requires doing something now.

Point is...it has been changed quite a bit this year compared to last. Is EA guilty of not making big changes from year to year normally? Absolutely. Is this one of those years? No, and people need to give props where props are due. Both this and NCAA 12 are much better games and take much bigger steps in quality across the board. I can also point to the various additions to franchise mode, like having full 70+ rosters and going through the roster cutting process in preseason, bidding on free agents, and the huge improvements to scouting. Small things like playing more then just the first 2 quarterbacks in the pre-season now occur as well. If you like that Ultimate Madden Card stuff...they added player to player trading...which apparently was in high demand. Being able to access your NFL.com fantasy team from Madden is a nice feature as well, if fantasy football is your gig.

Are the graphic themselves shinier? Of course not, the console hardware is the same. The commentary didn't have any kind of improvement either, which is a bit of letdown, but I tend to turn off commentary after a season so no big deal.

So now I am curious, what exactly do you want to see them do? I mean, they could add huge ridiculously sized playbooks, for example, and then the gameplay itself would have to slow down. That was the whole point in simplifying with the "Ask Madden"...was to speed it up, which is what the online players were asking for. I mean, I can think of a lot of things I would like to see added to the game, but without the next generation of consoles none of it is going to happen since most of what I want revolves around using higher resolution textures and a larger and smarter variety to the commentary. (since EA apparently doesn't want to make Madden for the PC anymore)

It is a yearly game, change is going to be incremental. Even when they had competition it was like that. Bottom line, this is the biggest upgrade from year to year in quite some time, maybe ever, particularly for Franchise mode players. I too usually find myself bitching about the lack of progress from year to year, but this is most definitely not one of those years.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2011, 02:19.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 30, 2011, 21:55 xXBatmanXx

So....I played a little Madden at a friend's...and it seems to me (not having played the last one and only buy them when they are a few years old) that the controls are swapped and changed every year. On top of that, nothing is very intuitive.

I dunno. Also seems like there are LESS calls, and the playbook screen is tiny/not very helpful. I miss the pages and pages of stuff, which is kind of still there, but only shows 3 plays at a time. I understand this when I am playing on a screen against someone, but not when I am playing singleplayer or messign around with different exhibition stuff.

They really haven't done shit with this game in years....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo