Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL

Apparently Batman: Arkham City is still planned as a Games for Windows LIVE title liike its predecessor, Batman: Arkham Asylum, reports VG247, saying a representative of publisher Warner tells them: "Arkham City is indeed a G4WL title." This contradicts a recent indication to the contrary, as a tweet from GreenManGaming last week said Warner told them Rocksteady's stealth/action sequel would not be using Microsoft's service. Box art for the game released in June prominently shows the Games for Windows LIVE logo.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 31, 2011, 10:17 _neolith_

Krovven wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 20:42:
For sure. They must have been happy with what little it does for their needs.
Maybe there's just some contract with MS they cannot get out of...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 30, 2011, 20:42 Krovven

Shame they continue to use GFWL for the new Batman games.

For sure. They must have been happy with what little it does for their needs. Really it's achievements and leaderboards for Challenge mode, that's it (I think).

I'll be shocked if Relic uses GFWL for any of their future games, specifically for any multiplayer matching. I've heard it from a couple people that worked on DoW2, that they regretted the decision. But they simply didn't have any alternatives at the time. Steam hadn't added Steamworks until DoW2 was late in development.

Even back when I did an in-house beta test for them and we were discussing the game,UI etc, GFWL wasn't a popular topic.

27. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 30, 2011, 19:52 Mordecai Walfish

Shame they continue to use GFWL for the new Batman games. Such a horrible system, and while it isn't terribly intrusive, and can be worked around in "offline mode" (this is a SINGLE PLAYER GAME, DUH).. there are just too many hurdles separating us from the experience here. I have been looking forward to this title for a long time, but the prospect of switching to "offline mode" and selecting my "offline profile" every time I want to play the game is something I honestly hoped to never see again after Arkham Asylum.

This CRAP has got to go.

26. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 30, 2011, 18:49 Prez

DAMMIT!

Oh well, as much as GFWL sucks, it isn't bad enough to stop me from playing what is almost certain to be a fantastic game.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 30, 2011, 18:37 Tomas

So can I have my money back then? Ugh. I hate to jump on the GFWL hate wagon, but I've had enough issues with it to not want to see what happens with Batman:AC. Hopefully it'll be more or less transparent as has sometimes been the case.  

24. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 30, 2011, 17:17 The Half Elf

I never had a problem with GFWL with the first Batman game, and to be honest it's nice to see my achievements on the PC side add to my Xbox Live tag.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

23. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 30, 2011, 17:15 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ugh, GFWL. This game has gone from day one purchase to 5 dollar steam/gamersgate sale at best.

22. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 30, 2011, 16:18 Overon

How can there be such contradictory information from people who should know?

21. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 30, 2011, 13:43 Krovven

I don't like GFWL, but I'm not going to skip or get Arkham City on PS3 because of it.

GFWL is a minor annoyance. And ways around it if you so choose.

20. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 30, 2011, 13:07 entr0py

linfosoma wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 12:58:
entr0py wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 11:25:
linfosoma wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 10:56:
The only problem I have with GFWL is that it's not available in my region, therefore I cant buy the game where I live.
Sigh, I guess I'll have to pass it, it's a shame because I really liked the first one (Live titles were available back then).

And that's why I buy on steam, not because I like the service (though I really do), but because they are the only ones who let me (Impulse used to let me buy games from them too, but after the adquisition I cant buy anything anymore).

You can still buy and play the game where you live, you just create an offline account through GFWL, which can be done without ever connecting to the internet or sending data to Microsoft. If you do that it will work just like a user profile in most games; only used for storing saved games locally.

You'll miss out on the online leaderboards for single player timetrials, but there's no proper multiplayer anyway. And you can still buy through steam if you want.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/PC/FAQ#title10

How? I already have a GFWL profile, If I look for the game on steam (or any other store) it says the game is unavailable in my region.

No one is taking preorders yet, I guess that will come a little later.

Here's how to create an offline GFWL account if you need one:
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?64130-Creating-an-off-line-account-in-GFWL

19. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 30, 2011, 12:58 linfosoma

entr0py wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 11:25:
linfosoma wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 10:56:
The only problem I have with GFWL is that it's not available in my region, therefore I cant buy the game where I live.
Sigh, I guess I'll have to pass it, it's a shame because I really liked the first one (Live titles were available back then).

And that's why I buy on steam, not because I like the service (though I really do), but because they are the only ones who let me (Impulse used to let me buy games from them too, but after the adquisition I cant buy anything anymore).

You can still buy and play the game where you live, you just create an offline account through GFWL, which can be done without ever connecting to the internet or sending data to Microsoft. If you do that it will work just like a user profile in most games; only used for storing saved games locally.

You'll miss out on the online leaderboards for single player timetrials, but there's no proper multiplayer anyway. And you can still buy through steam if you want.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/PC/FAQ#title10

How? I already have a GFWL profile, If I look for the game on steam (or any other store) it says the game is unavailable in my region.

18. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 30, 2011, 12:57 Respen

Lot of good games coming out this fall, having GFWL just makes it easier to not choose Arkham City. It'll be bargan bin in no time though, like most all GFWL titles.

FWIW have those of you who haven't had issues with GFWL tried Bioshock 2? Ouch, I think it took me half an hour of restarts and installs to play the game after the innitial install, not to mention the random disconnects at startup.

17. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 30, 2011, 12:32 Verno

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 12:16:
Never had an issue with GFWL either. Sucks for the people who do but I'm one of those "If it doesn't affect me, fuck the others" kind of person.

I think a majority people here just love to hate.

People don't "love to hate" so much as it's easy to hate something that has few tangible benefits yet has the potential to piss you off so much. I think everyone would love it if GFWL was actually worth a damn.

That being said I don't see the need to skip this title because of it, it is trivial to remove GFWL from games so you get the best of both worlds.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

16. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 30, 2011, 12:16 Rattlehead

Never had an issue with GFWL either. Sucks for the people who do but I'm one of those "If it doesn't affect me, fuck the others" kind of person.

I think a majority people here just love to hate.

15. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 30, 2011, 12:14 HorrorScope

Off the list...

On the list...

Back off the list...

I just can't deal with GFWL, it sucks and just reminds me the more of how far MS has fallen in general. I need to treat myself better.

My issue is I overlook several pc's mine and several others. Not that I've been 100% success with GFWL on my personal, but on some others it's been a nightmare. It won't uninstall itself completely if you need to do a redo. That is a huge huge strike. Typically Revo fixes that, but some issues are just beyond uninstall and reinstall. It can just get down right ugly, you try everything, MS always points to the router, sometimes it just never seems to come back on some systems.

14. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 30, 2011, 12:12 necrosis

Dirwulf wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 11:57:
I never have any problems with GFWL. I log in using my Xbox live ID and done. It takes about 5 seconds. I still play Dirt 2 all the time on it. Batman AA ran just fine for me through it and even tracked PC achievements and added them to my Xbox live account. GOTY actually counts as a separate game, so I have all the BAA achievements twice.

And why would you play this on a console when its going to look so much better on a PC. You'd rather play a shitty looking game with a controller than log in to GFWL? I say you are full of it.
Here is your 'it works for me so WTF is the problem' cookie. Middlefinger

13. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 30, 2011, 12:07 Verno

Its like having a goal and then reaching it. Don't you feel some sort of satisfaction when you have reached a goal that you have set for yourself?

I think I get the gist of what you mean but to me those aren't goals set by you, they are someone else preset ideas of what your goals should be. We do enough of that in videogames as it is, I don't need another layer of meta-game on top of it. I think there are some fun achievements that taught me how to play some games a bit differently but they are few and far between. Oh well, I guess if people enjoy it then whatever but it seems like a fairly shallow and unrewarding metric to use to me.

As for GFWL itself, it's easily removed shortly after most games release so there's no real reason to skip the PC version IMO. GFWL's numerous problems are well known at this point so debate over them seems kinda pointless. At best its merely system neutral and at worst it severely impacts your ability to play downloaded content, patches slow as molasses and does dumb shit like encrypts your savefiles.

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 2011, 12:16.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

12. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 30, 2011, 12:04 Dirwulf

Verno wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 11:06:
Theo wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 10:42:
will be getting on the pc, and will be happy that its counting to my gamerscore on my xbox.

I've never really understood the draw of gamerscore. It's not like a points system on a FPS server for example because the scales aren't weighted fairly, one person might be 1000 points above because they bought Barbie Funhouse for the cheevos. What do people get out of it, just bragging rights or something? I've tried asking my friends but they can't even articulate it beyond they like seeing numbers increment.

I like to compare my score to my friends, especially on games we both played. I could care less about the overall score as there are people out there who's whole entire lives are dedicated to getting 6,000,000 GS. Also its fun to try to unlock all the achievements for a game you really like, for example, the Mass Effect series.

There are a few games I have bought on PC and then on Xbox, just for getting achievements, Alpha Protocol comes to mind.

Its like having a goal and then reaching it. Don't you feel some sort of satisfaction when you have reached a goal that you have set for yourself?

11. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 30, 2011, 11:57 Dirwulf

I never have any problems with GFWL. I log in using my Xbox live ID and done. It takes about 5 seconds. I still play Dirt 2 all the time on it. Batman AA ran just fine for me through it and even tracked PC achievements and added them to my Xbox live account. GOTY actually counts as a separate game, so I have all the BAA achievements twice.

And why would you play this on a console when its going to look so much better on a PC. You'd rather play a shitty looking game with a controller than log in to GFWL? I say you are full of it.

10. Re: Batman: Arkham City Still Using GFWL Aug 30, 2011, 11:52 LittleMe

Verno wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 11:06:
Theo wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 10:42:
will be getting on the pc, and will be happy that its counting to my gamerscore on my xbox.

I've never really understood the draw of gamerscore. It's not like a points system on a FPS server for example because the scales aren't weighted fairly, one person might be 1000 points above because they bought Barbie Funhouse for the cheevos. What do people get out of it, just bragging rights or something? I've tried asking my friends but they can't even articulate it beyond they like seeing numbers increment.

It's an ego booster. It works. Atari Pong did this when they added a score counter to the game where the Magnavox Odyssey console version didn't. The story of 'me' is important to the ego. "I beat you" - a simple little story that the ego can understand. Or in the case of gamescore, "My score is 342342 points." It's a little story. People kill and die over this stuff.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo