Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Witcher 2 Sales Approach One Million

The Warsaw Business Journal reports that CD Projekt RED has sold almost one million copies of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (thanks Gamasutra). Also, VG247 has word a playable demo will be coming to the Gaikai cloud service. The Warsaw Business Journal report has the company's financial results, and word that they will become exclusive distributor of Activision Blizzard games in Poland. Here's a bit:

CD Projekt Red (previously Optimus), producer of the record-breaking “The Witcher” and “The Witcher 2” computer games, reported a net profit of zł.20.4 million and generated zł.80.3 million in revenue for the first half of 2011, Parkiet reported.

Of the group’s many areas of operation, the gaming division provided the largest contribution to the result. In particular, The Witcher 2 game, released on May 17, proved a great success, with sales of 940,000 copies, out of which 200,000 were downloaded online by gamers.

The result was what the company had expected, Piotr Nielubowicz, CD Projekt Red board member, told Parkiet.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: The Witcher 2 Sales Approach One Million Aug 30, 2011, 20:02 Prez

I always think of Crytek, when someone mentions "whiny" developers

I don't know about Crytek as a whole, but Yerli Crevat is a whiny bitch. He whined that his game only sells 1.5 million then he whines that his sales would have been 20 times higher were it not for piracy... I can't stand this guy. He needs to grow up.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: The Witcher 2 Sales Approach One Million Aug 30, 2011, 19:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cautiously optimistic about CD Projekt getting to release Activision/Blizzard games... one should never get involved with these guys, but hopefully their anti-DRM stance will rub off a little, rather than the extremely pro-drm/control stance of Activision.

At the very least it should give CD Projekt some serious funds.

27. Re: The Witcher 2 Sales Approach One Million Aug 30, 2011, 18:55 Prez

Definitely a 'win' for one of the good guys. I already own this on GOG, but if I get the CD Projeckt guys to tell me when they are at 999,999, I'll be glad to buy it again to be the "ONE MILLIONTH sale!" (spoken in my best Dr. Evil voice)  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: The Witcher 2 Sales Approach One Million Aug 30, 2011, 17:01 Flatline

Slashman wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 13:04:
Verno wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 12:35:
Sure but TWT had a console release too, I don't think TW2 has so far. Even assuming your game is total crap you can usually count on Wal-mart shoppers to move a bunch of units on the consoles.

Exactly this. PC gamers, for better or worse(I personally think it's better), are the picky buyers compared to console gamers. They will literally buy anything packaged up as a game.

Also, consider that TW2 has steeper system reqs than the first one. It isn't a Blizzard game. CD Projekt made their own engine and made it so that it thrives on a decent gaming rig. Lots of people still have sub-par gaming rigs. And incidentally they are fine because console ports don't tax your system much(unless they are badly done ports).

To be fair TW2 isn't *that* bad of a resource hog. I have a mid-range PC that cost about 500 bucks to build new a year or two ago and it runs TW2 at pretty much full detail with a few things like anti-aliasing turned down.

Video cards have gotten to the point where there's an amazing "budget" sweet spot for about 200-250 bucks where you get insane performance for cheap.

25. Re: The Witcher 2 Sales Approach One Million Aug 30, 2011, 16:58 Flatline

Verno wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 14:15:
More importantly what else did they expect out of the Kane and Lynch franchise? That whole thing is the epitome of mediocre.

The devs had a decent pedigree in Hitman, so they probably thought cinematic + Hitman = boatloads of money.

24. Re: The Witcher 2 Sales Approach One Million Aug 30, 2011, 14:15 killer_roach

Kajetan wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 14:09:
I remember Eidos complaining about 1.5 million sales of Kane & Lynch, worldwide, all plattforms, as "not quite what they hoped for" and "dissapointing".

What in God's Allmighty Name did they spent on this game?

Eidos practically was the poster child for spendthrift development... and a bunch of that money, I'd wager, was on promotions (many of which backfired on them... see Gerstmann-gate).

Promotions and personnel can make or break a budget... do those things in a savvy way and you could make a AAA game on a mid-level budget, or a strong mid-level or downloadable title as a relatively unestablished indie; do them poorly, and you end up with a mid-tier game on a blockbuster budget.

23. Re: The Witcher 2 Sales Approach One Million Aug 30, 2011, 14:15 Verno

More importantly what else did they expect out of the Kane and Lynch franchise? That whole thing is the epitome of mediocre.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

22. Re: The Witcher 2 Sales Approach One Million Aug 30, 2011, 14:09 Kajetan

killer_roach wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 13:57:
I'd also point out the difference between the likely costs of development for a studio in Eastern Europe versus one in the US or Canada... it's entirely possible that CD Projekt Red simply doesn't need as high of sales expectations on those grounds.
I remember Eidos complaining about 1.5 million sales of Kane & Lynch, worldwide, all plattforms, as "not quite what they hoped for" and "dissapointing".

What in God's Allmighty Name did they spent on this game?

21. Re: The Witcher 2 Sales Approach One Million Aug 30, 2011, 13:57 killer_roach

I'd also point out the difference between the likely costs of development for a studio in Eastern Europe versus one in the US or Canada... it's entirely possible that CD Projekt Red simply doesn't need as high of sales expectations on those grounds.  

20. Re: The Witcher 2 Sales Approach One Million Aug 30, 2011, 13:54 Creston

Bioware hasn't really whined about their sales numbers, I think? They keep arrogantly pretending that their shift for DA2 was a smart idea, seeing as how it halved sales, but I don't think they've ever complained that DA2 only sold half.

Creston

19. Re: The Witcher 2 Sales Approach One Million Aug 30, 2011, 13:12 RollinThundr

Creston wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 10:34:
I'm glad it's sold well for what it was (A hardcore PC RPG) and I'm glad they're happy with it.

99% of developers nowadays whine like a fucking mule if their game doesn't sell 87 million copies.

Thanks for being realistic, CD Projekt.

Creston

Namely EAWar..er Bioware? hehe

18. Re: The Witcher 2 Sales Approach One Million Aug 30, 2011, 13:11 Dev

necrosis wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 10:09:
It is also proof that a game this big can not cause the developer to shut its doors if it does not break 1m in sales opening weekend.
Depends if they bet the company on the game.
Witcher 2 didn't have a $100 million marketing campaign for instance. They aren't like the APB company where their financial plan was to spend to $0 out of the $100 million they started with, despite that an MMO needs to pay for significant ongoing costs.

There's lots of ways a company can fail if their game only does 1 mil.

But if the company properly plans for if they do 1m or less, then they CAN survive. In this case, looks like they properly planned based on sales from witcher 1, and are doing just fine.

17. Re: The Witcher 2 Sales Approach One Million Aug 30, 2011, 13:04 Slashman

Verno wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 12:35:
Sure but TWT had a console release too, I don't think TW2 has so far. Even assuming your game is total crap you can usually count on Wal-mart shoppers to move a bunch of units on the consoles.

Exactly this. PC gamers, for better or worse(I personally think it's better), are the picky buyers compared to console gamers. They will literally buy anything packaged up as a game.

Also, consider that TW2 has steeper system reqs than the first one. It isn't a Blizzard game. CD Projekt made their own engine and made it so that it thrives on a decent gaming rig. Lots of people still have sub-par gaming rigs. And incidentally they are fine because console ports don't tax your system much(unless they are badly done ports).

16. Re: The Witcher 2 Sales Approach One Million Aug 30, 2011, 12:35 Verno

15. Re: The Witcher 2 Sales Approach One Million Aug 30, 2011, 12:18 HorrorScope

Two Worlds 2 did 2.5 mil, seems weird thinking of that. One game all the glory, the other under the radar. You would just think Witch2 would bury TWT's in sales.  

14. Re: The Witcher 2 Sales Approach One Million Aug 30, 2011, 11:41 Verno

Darks wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 11:37:
all the more reson why its confusing, all those who bought and loved the original, you would have thought it would have sold much better and faster this time around.

Again, they are long tail sellers, not 5 million units on release day type games. Witcher 1 didn't sell a million copies overnight either. The hardcore RPG market is fairly small when compared to FPS games and the like, you can't really expect similar numbers and rate of sales. I'm sure Witcher 2 will end up being just as successful as the first game, particularly after they release a directors cut version. A lot of the Witcher 1 sales seemed to come after the game was pretty cheap as well so I would think that 1 million sales at nearly full price is a good deal to them.

13. Re: The Witcher 2 Sales Approach One Million Aug 30, 2011, 11:37 Darks

Verno wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 10:24:
Darks wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 10:04:
Im a little confused why this game has taken so long to reach the one million mark. such a great game too.

It's PC only and had no real marketing campaign behind it. Witcher 1 was a long tail game as well, it eventually went on to sell something like ~2mil copies.

all the more reson why its confusing, all those who bought and loved the original, you would have thought it would have sold much better and faster this time around.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

12. Re: The Witcher 2 Sales Approach One Million Aug 30, 2011, 11:29 Paketep

Kajetan wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 10:42:
Creston wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 10:34:
99% of developers nowadays whine like a fucking mule if their game doesn't sell 87 million copies.
I always think of Crytek, when someone mentions "whiny" developers :)

Yep. Cevat Yerli is worse than CliffyB, Mark Rein and Mike Capps put together

I'll never forget his "we would have sold 20 times more copies if not for piracy" comment about Crysis. Only Pachter can spew bullshit of higher quality.

11. Re: The Witcher 2 Sales Approach One Million Aug 30, 2011, 11:11 ldonyo

Great news about a great game!  

10. Re: The Witcher 2 Sales Approach One Million Aug 30, 2011, 11:08 Techie714 ©

born2expire wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 11:05:
Good for CDP/RED they deserve this success, the Witcher 2 gets my vote for RPG of 2011.

^^^^^ What he said! ^^^^^^

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo