Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Portal 2 PC Outsells Consoles

The Gabe Newell And Erik Johnson interview on Gamasutra has a note we missed last night, as Computer and Video Games points out an answer revealing that Portal 2 sold better on PCs than on console, and that the Xbox 360 edition of Left 4 Dead actually outsold the PC version. Here's word from Valve's Gabe Newell:

We can never predict; I mean we just try to build good games and then we tend to be surprised. Portal 2 did better on the PC than it did on the consoles; Left 4 Dead did better on the consoles than it did on the PC. So you know we don't try to guess, because we're not sure what value there is to guessing. We've never had a situation where we said, "We really, really want to build something that is more popular for the console guys." Because usually we have a bunch of other higher priority problems we want to solve. So we're glad that people want to play our games wherever they want to play.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Portal 2 PC Outsells Consoles Aug 30, 2011, 19:54 Sepharo

What was the price point of console L4D at launch?

I'm guessing if it was lower than the usual console AAA price that could drive huge sales being a multiplayer shooter with "Dead" in the title.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Portal 2 PC Outsells Consoles Aug 30, 2011, 18:49 Prez

Not surprising - Portal 2 is definitely a "PC" style game.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

13. Re: Portal 2 PC Outsells Consoles Aug 30, 2011, 17:36 swaaye

My guess is that this means that L4D is the more successful franchise for them.  

12. Re: Portal 2 PC Outsells Consoles Aug 30, 2011, 17:10 Agent.X7

Huh, weird. I figured more people would take advantage of buying the PS3 copy and getting the Steam copy for free. That's what I did.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

11. Re: Portal 2 PC Outsells Consoles Aug 30, 2011, 16:35 Kobalt

Not surprising, portal 2 got zero buzz for consoles(was a little confused why gabe at the e3 conference was considered a big deal, also no one I knew knew who he was). l4d though obviously is a zombie shooter.  

10. Re: Portal 2 PC Outsells Consoles Aug 30, 2011, 13:39 descender

I wonder if he means they made more $$ on L4D on consoles. Somehow I doubt the number of units sold are higher... Valve PC games don't stay full price for very long.  

9. Re: Portal 2 PC Outsells Consoles Aug 30, 2011, 13:35 zincthallinide

The L4D series does strike me as more console-y than Portal 2. The gameplay is pretty basic, only a few weapon types, run from point A to point B, kill lots of zombies (infected), and the graphics don't require much juice to look zombie-fest-ular  

8. Re: Portal 2 PC Outsells Consoles Aug 30, 2011, 13:13 Dev

BTW, as I recall you can take the EA numbers for portal 2 and the total numbers for portal 2 given out by valve previously and get a good estimation of steam sales for portal 2.  

7. Re: Portal 2 PC Outsells Consoles Aug 30, 2011, 12:54 Ruffiana

Not surprised any Valve game sells better on the PC than console. Even portal would be slightly more enjoyable with a mouse/keyboard control imo.

But L4D selling better on the 360? That's quite surprising.

6. Re: Portal 2 PC Outsells Consoles Aug 30, 2011, 12:44 Beamer

So what if he gets pissed off.

He doesn't get pissed off, he just doesn't answer.

If 10,000 journalists ask him about HL3 and get no answer do you want to be #10,001? Yes, there's some credence to give to the idea that eventually he will talk, but at this point he's proven that he'll talk when he wants to, not when someone asks him. If you ask him about it right now you're just wasting time, and probably looking a bit dumb.

You can only do the same thing expecting a different result so many times.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Portal 2 PC Outsells Consoles Aug 30, 2011, 12:37 tony

Wow, I'm amazed that L4D - especially if they mean L4D2 - has sold more units on the 360 or PS3 vs. the PC. Combined, sure the consoles might have sold more, but separated? I find that difficult to believe after accounting for all the steam sales, mutations, and ongoing free DLC.  

4. Re: Portal 2 PC Outsells Consoles Aug 30, 2011, 11:38 EddieTheHack

I wish gabe would quit giving interview and just crack the whip some to get EP.3 finished. Interviewers are afraid to ask questions about it. So what if he gets pissed off. If your going to interview him, don't lob softballs. Do your job. Be a journalist. Ask questions and do not let him deflect answers.  

3. Re: Portal 2 PC Outsells Consoles Aug 30, 2011, 10:51 coldcut

Frijoles wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 10:32:
How's the player-made maps for Portal 2? I haven't played any of them, and quit the game after finishing single player and co-op. Figure I'll return for the DLC and then check out any player-made maps at that time.
The ones I played, the winners of a mapping contest, were very good. Much harder than the original Portal 2 maps, which in my opinion were a bit too easy. You should definitely check out http://www.thinkingwithportals.com/ and/or other mapping sites (there are some more) and try high rated maps. You will not be disappointed

2. Re: Portal 2 PC Outsells Consoles Aug 30, 2011, 10:32 Frijoles

How's the player-made maps for Portal 2? I haven't played any of them, and quit the game after finishing single player and co-op. Figure I'll return for the DLC and then check out any player-made maps at that time.  

1. Re: Portal 2 PC Outsells Consoles Aug 30, 2011, 10:08 InBlack

Just keep making good games and Ill keep buying them. Wish more developers had this, instead of the other more common, money first mindset. Thank you.  

I have a nifty blue line!

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo