Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coded Message

A post to our forums relates the Deus Ex: Human Revolution "special message" the action/RPG prequel teased as coming today, though it looks like an extra-strength decoder ring may be required to work through it. Thanks to Shinyreaper for passing this along:

okM8-+Ds4Dui?lMh$Mzvm14SBqe7;G.l6=u74b?mkh-45Ki60d+98XBpCku7

This was apparently followed by the following, passed along by eRe4s3r:

5 - / ! f / f q / x c / q y / d 3 / ? x / t $ / j #

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

73. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coded Message Aug 30, 2011, 11:42 kanniballl

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 02:39:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 01:31:
Damn it, I hate being forced to leave a city without being given a choice. About six hours without getting access to a merchant.

I left gear and my modded silent sniper rife near the merchant in Hengsha China. Never had a clue I would be sent on to TWO Full missions, without ever going to a merchant again before the End fight.

Any time you are about to leave a city, you are given a Yes/No prompt that warns you that you will not be coming back. In your case specifically, Tong tells you that there is NO TURNING BACK once you plant the explosive and board the cargo ship off to who knows where. It would be nice if they had more guys like the gangster at the beginning of that one mission where you can buy stuff, though.

Well, all isn't lost. There is SSTa hidden LIMB store in the artic map. It's blocked by a vending machine sitting lopsided in the door. So you can at least spend some of your cash on Aug upgrades./SST

However I didn't see any vendors in the facility right after the docks missions... so that stunk.

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 2011, 13:56.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

72. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coded Message Aug 30, 2011, 09:09 Asmo

One of the PC achievements in Steam is:

Hangar 18
You found and read the secret message. Now you know too much...

That was for the garbled message someone posted back on page 2.

71. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coded Message Aug 30, 2011, 08:38 necrosis

Damn it, I hate being forced to leave a city without being given a choice. About six hours without getting access to a merchant.

I left gear and my modded silent sniper rife near the merchant in Hengsha China. Never had a clue I would be sent on to TWO Full missions, without ever going to a merchant again before the End fight.
Another thing that bugs the shit out of me.

Hello your out of ammo. Your fucked.

Second playthrough first thing I did was the inventory expansion mods.

70. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coded Message Aug 30, 2011, 08:35 necrosis

Jerykk wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 05:28:
Leaning, really? What do you need that for when you have the cover system?

Third-person cover systems are really overpowered. When you take cover in first-person, you sacrifice awareness for protection. In third-person, you sacrifice nothing. Without the balance of risk vs reward, taking cover ultimately becomes a shallow game mechanic. In DX:HR, third-person cover completely undermines some of the augmentations as well, like X-Ray vision and the Mark & Track aug. Not using the cover system and sticking with first-person significantly amplifies the intensity of taking cover and makes those augmentations much more useful.
While you do have a point the thing that pissed me off about the cover system is if you are standing, cover into a crouch (short object to hide behind) when you come out of the cover your now crouching. If I go into a cover in a specific stance I want to come out of cover in that same stance. To many times I fucking died because I wanted to sprint from cover but couldn't because I was crouching.

69. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coded Message Aug 30, 2011, 08:34 InBlack

Sooooo....back on topic for a change: Has anyone figured it out yet? The "special" message, obviously?  

I have a nifty blue line!

68. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coded Message Aug 30, 2011, 08:31 necrosis

ShakaUVM wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 08:21:
Or eliminating the Parkinsonian NPCs. I literally can't look at some of them when they're talking to me (like Malik) since they're jerking around and shaking their heads way too much.

CALM THE HELL DOWN, NPCs. Sheesh. Their body language is all off.
Yeah this bugged the hell out of me too. I mean I don't want them standing there like a piece of wood (Like Witcher 1 before the patches) but damn.

67. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coded Message Aug 30, 2011, 08:21 ShakaUVM

Or eliminating the Parkinsonian NPCs. I literally can't look at some of them when they're talking to me (like Malik) since they're jerking around and shaking their heads way too much.

CALM THE HELL DOWN, NPCs. Sheesh. Their body language is all off.

66. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coded Message Aug 30, 2011, 08:21 Shifter

If you look at the first and last letters of each line of what's on the pastebin site, we have normal alphabet and numeric characters in there. In fact if we read down each column vertically it seems to be a sequential series as well. Somehow the second part passed along from eRe4s3r must give us a clue where to look within the pastebin site. Perhaps it's a 9 letter word.  

65. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coded Message Aug 30, 2011, 08:19 ShakaUVM

If all they do is give an option to disable the motion-sickness-inducing head bob, I'll be happy.  

64. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coded Message Aug 30, 2011, 07:50 Zanthar

Jerykk wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 23:47:
Please let this be a patch that lets you turn off the radar.

Really? The radar is so small and out of the way there is no need to even look at it if you don't want to use it. I never use it myself, but I suppose if you have no self-control, you can always take a permanent marker and just block it out on your monitor's screen. Give it a try.

63. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coded Message Aug 30, 2011, 07:25 Marvin T. Martian

It's called fun, guys. Some people enjoy the out-of game games. May want to try it.

Sheesh.

^D^

No Thanks

62. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coded Message Aug 30, 2011, 05:28 Jerykk

Third-person cover systems are really overpowered. When you take cover in first-person, you sacrifice awareness for protection. In third-person, you sacrifice nothing. Without the balance of risk vs reward, taking cover ultimately becomes a shallow game mechanic. In DX:HR, third-person cover completely undermines some of the augmentations as well, like X-Ray vision and the Mark & Track aug. Not using the cover system and sticking with first-person significantly amplifies the intensity of taking cover and makes those augmentations much more useful.

61. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coded Message Aug 30, 2011, 04:56 vrok

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 04:23:
Because we don't use the cover system because it's a dumb console feature that removes immersion and suspense and is pretty much equal to cheating? It makes for bad gameplay. Not that lean is needed as long as the cheat radar is in though, but it would be an improvement.

60. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coded Message Aug 30, 2011, 04:37 Dmitri_M

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 04:23:

Because leaning is superior to a cover system.

59. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coded Message Aug 30, 2011, 04:23 jacobvandy

Dev wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 02:52:
Googling the above turned up this document with a whole bunch more of similar lines, more encoded messages?
http://pastebin.com/DkvJjh3w

You actually might be onto something there!

58. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coded Message Aug 30, 2011, 03:47 Tanto Edge

Yeah 'plausibility' wasn't something I was too concerned with.
Besides, given there were lean controls in the options in the beta, I always wondered why they didn't completely implement it.

That aside, I think your call on the SDK would be a wonderful (tho implausible ) reality.

Jerykk wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 02:22:
And reinstates leaning, and darkness cover?

Those would be nice as well. Much harder to implement, though. On the other hand, disabling the radar would be about as difficult as disabling the reticule or the objective markers or the object highlighting. Much more plausible in a patch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

57. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coded Message Aug 30, 2011, 02:52 Dev

Googling the above turned up this document with a whole bunch more of similar lines, more encoded messages?
http://pastebin.com/DkvJjh3w

56. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coded Message Aug 30, 2011, 02:46 Dev

One could always take a post it note and put it over radar, if it bothered someone that much.  

55. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coded Message Aug 30, 2011, 02:39 jacobvandy

Any time you are about to leave a city, you are given a Yes/No prompt that warns you that you will not be coming back. In your case specifically, Tong tells you that there is NO TURNING BACK once you plant the explosive and board the cargo ship off to who knows where. It would be nice if they had more guys like the gangster at the beginning of that one mission where you can buy stuff, though.

54. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coded Message Aug 30, 2011, 02:22 Jerykk

And reinstates leaning, and darkness cover?

Those would be nice as well. Much harder to implement, though. On the other hand, disabling the radar would be about as difficult as disabling the reticule or the objective markers or the object highlighting. Much more plausible in a patch.

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo