Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Adding Testers Friday

Weekend beta testing of Star Wars: The Old Republic will begin on September 2 for a selection of invitees, reports Massively from Gamescom. They say everyone has an equal chance of being picked to participate, regardless of whether or not they've preordered BioWare's upcoming Star Wars MMORPG, so those interested should apply on this page. Here's word:

Sign up for an opportunity to become a Star Wars: The Old Republic game tester. We will be selecting community members who have completed the Game Testing registration process and meet the specific requirements of the test. Those that are selected will gain access to the game and be able to provide valuable feedback for the Star Wars: The Old Republic Development Team.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Adding Testers Friday Aug 31, 2011, 08:52 Veterator

Copying is third rate in my opinion. If you're going to make an MMO, you can take ideas from other MMOs......but build on them don't just make them near exact copies with one change and a re-skin. Once the newness wears off, it ends up feeling like the MMO you played before. And why would you want to stick with a new MMO if the old one is still pushing out content you'd like to try?

But if you want auto attack, I don't believe SWTOR has it. I mean it might be in the form of your companion in a way, but I don't think your character will hit things without you pushing buttons. If it is that way, I don't think they will be changing it to be otherwise after this much development time.

I'd really like the guys who have the resources to take a few chances on MMOs instead of leaving it up to the small guys to do proof of concept for them and then fail because they simply can't build content to rival WoW.

I mean the effort of voicing an entire MMO with different voices for each class, the companions, and all the other stuff...and the expense of it all. They could have probably developed 4-6 MMOs.

Sempai wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 00:03:
To say them going after WoW type gameplay being third rate is a bit short sighted don't you think?
Tera online is looking very good and it's an action mmo where, If I'm correct plays out like an action rpg where there's no auto attack and you'll be manually attacking and dodging etc. ie DC Online.

That's great for those who are wanting something new and different from the EQ/WoW rotation based gameplay but for a literal shit ton of hardcore mmo'ers out there who raid 4-8 hours a day, the constant in your face action may become tiring, MMO's are more than combat, they're social and laid back, I know I don't want to be mashing buttons like a mad man all day and night while spending time in my mmo world.

The fact that it apparently plays like WoW is actually a bonus point with me. But then that's just me, old, slow, fat and tired.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Adding Testers Friday Aug 30, 2011, 04:57 InBlack

...you forgot retarded. AoC had some of the best and inovative combat in any RPG, let alone an MMO. It didnt have much else though. But hey, its not like this is set in stone or anything, I guess I could be smoking crack and you could be George Fucking Bush in a Pakol.  

I have a nifty blue line!

31. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Adding Testers Friday Aug 30, 2011, 00:03 Sempai

To say them going after WoW type gameplay being third rate is a bit short sighted don't you think?
Tera online is looking very good and it's an action mmo where, If I'm correct plays out like an action rpg where there's no auto attack and you'll be manually attacking and dodging etc. ie DC Online.

That's great for those who are wanting something new and different from the EQ/WoW rotation based gameplay but for a literal shit ton of hardcore mmo'ers out there who raid 4-8 hours a day, the constant in your face action may become tiring, MMO's are more than combat, they're social and laid back, I know I don't want to be mashing buttons like a mad man all day and night while spending time in my mmo world.

The fact that it apparently plays like WoW is actually a bonus point with me. But then that's just me, old, slow, fat and tired.

30. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Adding Testers Friday Aug 29, 2011, 22:44 Veterator

It's in beta, so it's going to lag and be buggy. I don't think it's going to be released until December or late November. It's pretty typical for all MMOs at this point to be pretty laggy while they debug and stress the servers. And lots of unfinished/bugged content throughout the levels.

So......lag, yes. Buggy, yes. Can answer that without even playing.

As for content.....I think the NDA would block any discussion of that beyond generalities.

Shooting to be like WoW is the goal for third rate MMO developers, first rate guys should be coming up with new stuff. Especially to improve upon combat because you spend a lot of time dealing with combat MMOs, long after the story is done and you're waiting on expansions.

Sempai wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 21:22:
Riker wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 18:24:
I've been very hard on this game since the beginning. I loved the Knights of the Old Republic Games, and BioWare has always been a sure thing. I really wanted this game to kick ass.

But it's just as shitty as it's always presented itself to be. I've spent time in the beta. It really is WoW with Star Wars painted over it. It's shocking to me that BioWare apparently caved to Lucas, or is risk-adverse to due to the cost of making an MMO, or both, but I can offer no other explanation.

Garbage. What an utter disgrace, BioWare.

It's gameplay is just like WoW, arguably the finest and most successful mmo on the market..ever, and it's shit?

Ok so it's shit, but besides you wanting something entirely new and different, and better than WoW, how exactly is it shit? Is it unresponsive? Is it buggy? Is it stiff and wooden or are the stories/quests terribly written? Could you go into anymore details on why you think it's a disgrace?

29. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Adding Testers Friday Aug 29, 2011, 21:34 Cutter

Star Wars was over after Empire. Bioware too has been over for some time now.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

28. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Adding Testers Friday Aug 29, 2011, 21:22 Sempai

Riker wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 18:24:
I've been very hard on this game since the beginning. I loved the Knights of the Old Republic Games, and BioWare has always been a sure thing. I really wanted this game to kick ass.

But it's just as shitty as it's always presented itself to be. I've spent time in the beta. It really is WoW with Star Wars painted over it. It's shocking to me that BioWare apparently caved to Lucas, or is risk-adverse to due to the cost of making an MMO, or both, but I can offer no other explanation.

It's gameplay is just like WoW, arguably the finest and most successful mmo on the market..ever, and it's shit?

Ok so it's shit, but besides you wanting something entirely new and different, and better than WoW, how exactly is it shit? Is it unresponsive? Is it buggy? Is it stiff and wooden or are the stories/quests terribly written? Could you go into anymore details on why you think it's a disgrace?

27. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Adding Testers Friday Aug 29, 2011, 21:07 Sempai

InBlack wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 09:56:
For some reason (maybe because Star Wars games used to be so great) I really really want this game to fail hard. Everything Ive seen in previews so far leads me to believe that it will be Age of Conan in Space, minus the great combat.

Because Star Wars games used to be so great? Bah haha.
And by you wishing this game is garbage will really help those old great games and in turn help the already stagnant mmo industry and most important help us gamers by what..being another turd mmo?

I'd rather it be a damn good game.

You're logic is flawed and borderline retarded.
And Conan's combat was great? Son you need to lay the crack pipe down.

26. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Adding Testers Friday Aug 29, 2011, 18:24 Riker

25. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Adding Testers Friday Aug 29, 2011, 18:18 Drayth

Darks wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 17:31:
Got to agree with these comments. Also btw, you do know that you can turn off the auto pausing for the combat right? I turned it off and had a much better time playing the game and it was a lot more fun without the constant pausing.

I think he just meant how you could hit space to pause combat at anytime in KOTOR. I doubt anyone left the auto-pause per round on.

24. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Adding Testers Friday Aug 29, 2011, 17:59 Veterator

Movement of the game doesn't seem "proper" for full on Jedi/Sith. Sure they get one "hop" into combat deal you see in the videos, but you never see the guys force leaping great heights because they can (they probably move just like any MMO, small jump, a travel ability or mount at some point that suffers from the same restrictions). Or picking up obstacles in the world and knocking them over or hurling them.

Or even the cartoons where they climb up or repel down buildings.

Or pull the guns out of enemies hands.....or reflect blaster fire and knock them out of their hands.....or all the other cool things.

And then you have these light sabers that cut through damn never everything instantly and it takes ages for them to kill stuff and the creatures never appear to suffer any damage.

Been awhile since I've played KOTOR, but the combat in this game, if you strip away the light sabers looks like any MMO. I bet it even gets more MMO-esque the higher level you get, which would be longer and longer fights even for semi-weak enemies.

23. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Adding Testers Friday Aug 29, 2011, 17:36 Tumbler

Got to agree with these comments. Also btw, you do know that you can turn off the auto pausing for the combat right? I turned it off and had a much better time playing the game and it was a lot more fun without the constant pausing.

The combat reminds me of Warhammer Online, I'm not sure why anyone is comparing the combat to Kotor. They have a similar theme but the mechanics aren't even close. I haven't played a lot of WoW so that might be exactly what Warhammer Online is as well.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

22. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Adding Testers Friday Aug 29, 2011, 17:31 Darks

Kobalt wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 16:38:
I like how all these people are saying the combat doesn't "look like starwars" and how they liked kotor. The combat is exactly the fucking same cept no pausing, kotor pretty much played like a mmo, like most pc rpgs. Any excuse to be negative I guess.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

21. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Adding Testers Friday Aug 29, 2011, 16:38 Kobalt

I like how all these people are saying the combat doesn't "look like starwars" and how they liked kotor. The combat is exactly the fucking same cept no pausing, kotor pretty much played like a mmo, like most pc rpgs. Any excuse to be negative I guess.  

20. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Adding Testers Friday Aug 29, 2011, 15:58 Tumbler

Uhm... wrong. The Clone Troopers and the Troopers during 4-6 are completely different, they are no longer clones at that point... But anyway.

The clone troopers are fighting for the republic as well. The Droids supported the Empire. It's a little weird that the droid army is cast aside in favor of storm troopers that are apprently human... Maybe after the war they took over the cloning planet and created all the storm troopers there?

Anyone familiar with that change and how it came to be?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

19. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Adding Testers Friday Aug 29, 2011, 15:36 Trevellian

nin wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 15:27:
I think you need to go back and watch the original trilogy, there is nothing but blaster fire in every direction. Would make for a pretty boring movie if every shot hit it's mark (with the exception of Han shooting Greedo... first).

Yeah, I love how, in the original trilogy, they can't hit the broad side of a barn, yet in the prequels, we learn the troopers are all clones from a badass mercenary.

Thanks, George (dumbass)!

Uhm... wrong. The Clone Troopers and the Troopers during 4-6 are completely different, they are no longer clones at that point... But anyway.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

18. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Adding Testers Friday Aug 29, 2011, 15:27 nin

I think you need to go back and watch the original trilogy, there is nothing but blaster fire in every direction. Would make for a pretty boring movie if every shot hit it's mark (with the exception of Han shooting Greedo... first).

Yeah, I love how, in the original trilogy, they can't hit the broad side of a barn, yet in the prequels, we learn the troopers are all clones from a badass mercenary.

Thanks, George (dumbass)!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

17. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Adding Testers Friday Aug 29, 2011, 15:24 fujiJuice

JoeNapalm wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 14:22:
...so I have to ask, how can it feel like Star Wars combat?

Every trailer I have seen has people standing in veritable rivers of blaster fire, from all directions, with no visible effect.

Star Wars combat is quick and deadly. Pretty much all the weapons are insta-kill from anything closer than a near-miss.

How is standing there, with torrents of blaster bolts flooding through targets, feel like Star Wars?

16. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Adding Testers Friday Aug 29, 2011, 15:13 Darks

JoeNapalm wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 14:46:
nin wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 14:33:
Star Wars combat is quick and deadly. Pretty much all the weapons are insta-kill from anything closer than a near-miss.

How is standing there, with torrents of blaster bolts flooding through targets, feel like Star Wars?

The tutorial is run by Stormtroopers, who teach you how to properly aim.

yeah yeah, no stormtroopers 3000 years in the past, don't ruin my joke.

Touche'.

And I wouldn't dream of it!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

All Iím saying is that with all the laser blast flying all over the place and the light saber combat. Itís Star Wars. And no you wonít be killing things quickly and deadly. That would defeat the whole purpose of a challenge.

If you like the Star Wars universe as you say, then I have no doubt that you are going to like the game. Since I started playing the beta I have not put it down. Itís been that much fun. I have tried out several classes to see which one I like the best.

I canít go into details about the beta; we are still restricted under the NDA. So sorry, I canít reveal too much. I hope you do get in. If you do, look me up in game Ilyra. Republic Side if you play.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Adding Testers Friday Aug 29, 2011, 14:46 JoeNapalm

nin wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 14:33:

Touche'.

And I wouldn't dream of it!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

14. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Adding Testers Friday Aug 29, 2011, 14:33 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo