Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Human Revolution "Special Message" Tomorrow

We should expect a "special message" from Deus Ex: Human Revolution tomorrow, according to an in-game message, as shown in this screenshot sent along by nin. Word is: "Human Revolutions -- Special Message Incoming / Be Ready / 2200 GMT 29 Aug."

View
173 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

113. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 29, 2011, 11:21 Ratty

nin wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 17:59:
can't take the 'bust through thin walls' upgrade for that reason (the one time I tried it, he script-killed a baddie : (

I ran into that too, and was very disappointed.

Only seen it happen once, though.
The Punch through Walls aug is basically free though so there's no reason not to take it fairly early. There's a Praxis kit behind a wall in the Detroit sewers that pays for itself.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

112. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 29, 2011, 11:19 Beamer

I think you get Ghost so long as no one ever goes hostile.

Not sure, though. I've hardly paid attention to when I get it, and though I strive for it I am not making it a true goal. Otherwise I'd probably quick-load anytime I was noticed. I'd rather deal with the consequences and forgo the 500XP (which isn't all that much in the long run.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

111. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 29, 2011, 11:13 Ratty

Jerykk wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 19:36:
I played through the game on 'hard' with zero contact with any body who didn't need to be 'neutralized' as per the objectives.
I was surprised when on my next playthrough, I was getting Ghost even though I was knocking people out.

Yeah, their definition of ghosting is a bit loose. It just means that you can't be seen. You can still neutralize every enemy you encounter. While it's cool that you can still genuinely ghost your way through the game, the way XP is rewarded means that doing so will put you at a disadvantage. If you want to get the most XP, there's only one route to go: the non-lethal takedown hacker. Perform non-lethal takedowns on every enemy and hack everything you see, even if you already know the password or have found another way through. They really should have just retained DX's XP system, where you only get rewarded for completing objectives and finding secret areas. That way, there is no inherent benefit to any one playstyle and people can play the way they want without fear of losing out on XP.
Their definition of ghost confused me too. So I did the first mission in Detroit both ways. First, never seen, never alerted, never touched anybody. There was one part where a guard is standing on a balcony overlooking a room that was a bit dicey but other than that it wasn't that hard to do. Then I replayed it knocking out every single guard in the game (but still not being "seen") and ended up with a couple thousand more XP at the end (some of that was finding things I'd missed the first time though), way more ammo and way more money to buy Praxis. And I still got the ghost bonus.

I keep the highlighting on and use the third person cover system and don't mind the regenerating health one bit. All things I bitched and moaned about. For this game it works. The world is so much more detailed than the original DX that I can't imagine playing it without the highlighting (hated it Thief 3 though). But I'd be interested to hear others chime in on that.

110. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 29, 2011, 11:07 kanniballl

Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 07:24:
All the radar improving augs seem quite redundant. One allows you to use radar through walls, which happens already. Another lets you track through walls, but I haven't tracked once. Why bother? That's what eyes are for.

I figured I'd upgrade my radar to 2x and not have to LoS them to add them to my screen. I didn't like it and loaded my last auto-save.

In a busy area, all of the arrows were jumbled together in a soup. I prefer the smaller-radius so I can pick everyone out.

Unless... is there a zoom-radar button or something after you upgrade?

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

109. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution "Special Message" Tomorrow Aug 29, 2011, 10:53 Verno

The current price/performance sweet spot is an Intel 2500k with a Hyper 212+ OC'd to 4+ghz, GeForce 560 Ti or Radeon 6950. 4-8GB of memory, ram prices are going to start going up soon as well.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

108. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 29, 2011, 10:48 rist3903

There's another link about CPU performance under today (Monday's) Tech Bits.

Checking it out. Cripes, do I have to upgrade again?

107. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 29, 2011, 10:03 nin

There's another link about CPU performance under today (Monday's) Tech Bits.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

106. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 29, 2011, 10:01 Beamer

Sepharo wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 09:27:
Kedyn wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 03:17:
I finished the game earlier tonight. Great stuff.

By the way, sort of a spoiler, but I'll ask anyway : did anyone else chuckle a bit when, later in the game, they found Adam Jensen's bio on one of the computers that said he had an associates degree from the University of Phoenix?

He's got the diplomas in his office too. He has one from Ferris which is a university in Big Rapids, Michigan that is usually considered a party school. So either the joke is that Jensen went to an online college and a party school or that Phoenix and Ferris have become prestigious in the future. Or third option he's just a normal dude going to normal schools.

I don't think the joke is on University of Phoenix, just that he was a police officer. It isn't uncommon for police officers to get online degrees, as advanced degrees are often just hoops they need to jump through - where they get the degree doesn't matter, just having it does. It grants a pay raise and access to better jobs. As a result they take the path of least resistance - and why not when it's just a check in a box?

Circumstances like that are the only ones in which something as ridiculously bad as University of Phoenix make sense.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

105. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 29, 2011, 10:00 rist3903

DirectX 9 or 11? (edit: Guess you're running 9 is you're using XP)
Looking at this chart (last one, CPU Usage) it looks like if you're using 9 and 2 cores, it could take up to 100% of the proc, which may be what you're seeing.

Also, Blue posted this, and you cold try and tweak your settings a bit.

Hmm that guide said Directx 11 had more CPU utilization than 9. Perhaps it is finally time to contemplate upgrading my operating system.

Thanks for the prompt replies!

104. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 29, 2011, 09:44 Verno

Steam is pretty active in revoking keys purchased outside of your region intentionally, they have an automated process for finding the activations now. They usually ignore the EU/etc regions who activate in the US just to play the game earlier but they are somewhat diligent in North Americans activating asian keys. People often comment on getting burned buying things on g2keys and etc. The game is a great value from Amazon at $33 or whatever, just buy it there or wait for a sale.

GMG might be a good option still as well, I know they are still running some of those 20% coupon codes.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

103. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 29, 2011, 09:42 Tumbler

qp24.99
But I am afraid to use the service....

http://www.ecrater.com/p/12166676/deus-ex-human-revolution-with-activation
Yeah that looks odd. Says he's in Thialand which reminds me of that CoD issue when steam started revoking keys because they were from other regions.

Plus he says "Play On Steam: This product is active on the steam"

Maybe that is bad english, maybe he is telling you the product is already active?

I'm still very tempted...

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

102. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 29, 2011, 09:41 nin

rist3903 wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 09:30:
What's your proc? I saw something awhile back that basically said the more cores you had, the better, performance wise.

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00 GHz with more ram than I need for Xp, which I am running.

I thought I should have no problems with this and I am only running at 1280*1024 which is my monitor's max.

DirectX 9 or 11? (edit: Guess you're running 9 is you're using XP)
Looking at this chart (last one, CPU Usage) it looks like if you're using 9 and 2 cores, it could take up to 100% of the proc, which may be what you're seeing.

Also, Blue posted this, and you cold try and tweak your settings a bit.

101. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 29, 2011, 09:35 wtf_man

It runs great for me on a Core 2Duo E8600 OC'd to 4GHz and an 8800GTX @ 1280x1024.

Of course I'm not running maxed out settings... I just kept whatever the game recommended and added FXAA and 8xAF.

100. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution "Special Message" Tomorrow Aug 29, 2011, 09:32 xXBatmanXx

But I am afraid to use the service....

http://www.ecrater.com/p/12166676/deus-ex-human-revolution-with-activation

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

99. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 29, 2011, 09:30 rist3903

What's your proc? I saw something awhile back that basically said the more cores you had, the better, performance wise.

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00 GHz with more ram than I need for Xp, which I am running.

I thought I should have no problems with this and I am only running at 1280*1024 which is my monitor's max.

98. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 29, 2011, 09:27 Sepharo

Kedyn wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 03:17:
I finished the game earlier tonight. Great stuff.

By the way, sort of a spoiler, but I'll ask anyway : did anyone else chuckle a bit when, later in the game, they found Adam Jensen's bio on one of the computers that said he had an associates degree from the University of Phoenix?

He's got the diplomas in his office too. He has one from Ferris which is a university in Big Rapids, Michigan that is usually considered a party school. So either the joke is that Jensen went to an online college and a party school or that Phoenix and Ferris have become prestigious in the future. Or third option he's just a normal dude going to normal schools.

97. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 29, 2011, 09:26 nin

rist3903 wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 09:11:
I am absolutely loving this game, but it is not running well on my computer and I am extremely interested to know why. I have a GTX 460 and a decent two year old motherboard so I don't think I should be getting choppy frame rate while turning on the larger maps, but there it is. This crops up whenever I load as well, unfortunately. Any suggestions?

96. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 29, 2011, 09:11 rist3903

I am absolutely loving this game, but it is not running well on my computer and I am extremely interested to know why. I have a GTX 460 and a decent two year old motherboard so I don't think I should be getting choppy frame rate while turning on the larger maps, but there it is. This crops up whenever I load as well, unfortunately. Any suggestions?

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 2011, 09:17.

95. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 29, 2011, 08:53 JoeNapalm

Sepharo wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 22:19:
Beamer wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 22:05:
I actually left the sniper rifle on the ground. Very odd for me, but the tranq gun can snipe, I had more ammo for it, and I'm assuming it takes way too much room in the way too small inventory.

I upgraded my inventory to carry it even though like Jerykk I'm not going to ever use it.

I'm playing the game ridiculously slowly. What do you guys recommend for boss battles for the ghost hacker? I'd prefer just to carry the one weapon + tranq.

I am playing a Stealth Hacker, and I've had zero trouble with the first two bosses...but I think this is because I maxed my armor immediately.

So far, each of the bosses have been heavy augs with no shielding, so EMP 'nades seemed the obvious choice. As I am immune to EMP, I cap pop the pinch, then execute them while they're trying to reboot.

Works like a charm. The first two bosses have taken we two tries each - and only because on the first tries I was trying to conserve EMP grenades.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

94. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution "Special Message" Tomorrow Aug 29, 2011, 07:26 Marvin T. Martian

For those that need it

a GMT converter

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/gmt-converter/

173 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo