Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Human Revolution "Special Message" Tomorrow

We should expect a "special message" from Deus Ex: Human Revolution tomorrow, according to an in-game message, as shown in this screenshot sent along by nin. Word is: "Human Revolutions -- Special Message Incoming / Be Ready / 2200 GMT 29 Aug."

View
173 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

53. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 28, 2011, 19:36 Jerykk

I played through the game on 'hard' with zero contact with any body who didn't need to be 'neutralized' as per the objectives.
I was surprised when on my next playthrough, I was getting Ghost even though I was knocking people out.

Yeah, their definition of ghosting is a bit loose. It just means that you can't be seen. You can still neutralize every enemy you encounter. While it's cool that you can still genuinely ghost your way through the game, the way XP is rewarded means that doing so will put you at a disadvantage. If you want to get the most XP, there's only one route to go: the non-lethal takedown hacker. Perform non-lethal takedowns on every enemy and hack everything you see, even if you already know the password or have found another way through. They really should have just retained DX's XP system, where you only get rewarded for completing objectives and finding secret areas. That way, there is no inherent benefit to any one playstyle and people can play the way they want without fear of losing out on XP.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution "Special Message" Tomorrow Aug 28, 2011, 19:19 Tanto Edge

I played through the game on 'hard' with zero contact with any body who didn't need to be 'neutralized' as per the objectives.
I was surprised when on my next playthrough, I was getting Ghost even though I was knocking people out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

51. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 28, 2011, 19:07 Dirwulf

Riker wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 18:45:
I'm a pretty thorough player, but I feel like I only clocked about 25 hours... which is pretty decent, but whenever I play a great game like this, I always want more, more, more. I was hoping it would take the 35-40 hours I was hearing that more thorough players could look forward to.

I've seen this in several places, one guy who said he finished it in 15 hours, and I don't know what people are doing to get through so fast. I'm 33 hours in and I just went back to China. I have almost every single augment completely unlocked 51 Praxis points to this point. 26/49 achievements so far, on PC version.

50. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 28, 2011, 19:06 Acleacius

Dirwulf wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 17:56:
I'm not having any problems using the mouse in the merchants windows. Click on the arrows to move between categories and then scroll through the items with the mouse wheel.
Oh thanks for that, either I missed it or my new Logitek needs a software update. Also nice call on the Vision Aug to prevent death on Wall Punch.

nin wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 17:59:
can't take the 'bust through thin walls' upgrade for that reason (the one time I tried it, he script-killed a baddie : (

I ran into that too, and was very disappointed.

Only seen it happen once, though.

You actually can on some, I thought the same thing then found one scaling to a penthouse, but there was a door to the same room anyway. Agree with you guys, it's a total waste to Force Kill someone, without intent.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

49. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 28, 2011, 18:45 Riker

I'm pretty happy with the game. For everyone loving it... told ya so.

The pacing of the game felt a bit weird... it was hard to tell exactly where I was in the story arc. And I was a bit disappointed that the story didn't have more twists and turns. And without getting spoilery, that there weren't more faces from Deus Ex on the board.

I'm a pretty thorough player, but I feel like I only clocked about 25 hours... which is pretty decent, but whenever I play a great game like this, I always want more, more, more. I was hoping it would take the 35-40 hours I was hearing that more thorough players could look forward to.

Great job, Eidos Montreal. I look forward to seeing what you do next.

To add a bit more...
- I don't feel that the game was quite as good as the original... it could just be nostalgia, but I think Deus Ex had a much more impressive atmosphere... I love the way the original made me feel in its environments
- I started off playing stealth/hacker, but about 2/3 through the game, I had tons of Praxis points and didn't know what to spend them on... my patience was wearing thin with the baddies and I decided to turn up the violence. But I felt too invincible... the game became too easy and I felt like I was a jack-of-all-trades. Ammo was never a problem.
- The cover system kicked ass.
- Yes, the boss fights were a mistake.
- Good music, sometimes harking back to the original, but it didn't stand out like it did in the original.
- spoilers: Maybe I missed it, but I didn't get a satisfying conclusion to Adam's backstory. He was created in a lab... and that's the last I heard about it (from the lady with dimentia). I was waiting for something significant to come of that. Also, Adam's only late-game contact with Megan was very brief, and I was expecting more of a pay-off. I decided to end the game by causing the structure to collapse on itself. I felt like it was the best thing to do, but I feel morose about it. And finally, although we meet Tong, see Bob Page in the opening video (and otherwise don't see/hear of him again until after the credits roll), and read Joseph Manderley's emails, I was really hoping for more of a tie-in with the original. What did I miss?

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2011, 19:04.

48. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 28, 2011, 18:33 nin

Also, I used a frag mine to bust through one before and it didn't kill the guy standing on the other side.

One of the interviews said that those walls basically have XP, meaning that if you knew where they were and didn't take the wall punch aug, you could still blast/shoot through them. I've not tried it (shooting) though.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

47. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution "Special Message" Tomorrow Aug 28, 2011, 18:28 jacobvandy

FWIW, most of the weakened walls I've seen that can be punched through do NOT have enemies on the other side. They don't seem that plentiful, but I keep finding new ones in subsequent playthroughs. Also, I used a frag mine to bust through one before and it didn't kill the guy standing on the other side.  

46. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 28, 2011, 18:08 Alamar

Dirwulf wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 18:04:

Do you want to unlock the Lucky Guess Achievement?

SPOILER:

When you get to Jacob's bomb type in the code 0000 to disarm it. He's not very smart. Reminds me if the luggage combo in Space Balls. 1-2-3-4-5.

This is handy, so thank you, though I rarely go out of my way for achievements...

And generally, I hack everything... even if I have the code/password... Because I want the potential bonus xp/cash : )

-Alamar

45. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 28, 2011, 18:04 Dirwulf

Do you want to unlock the Lucky Guess Achievement?

SPOILER:

When you get to Jacob's bomb type in the code 0000 to disarm it. He's not very smart. Reminds me if the luggage combo in Space Balls. 1-2-3-4-5.

44. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 28, 2011, 18:00 Dirwulf

Alamar wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 17:47:

Going non-lethal, sneaky hacker... Have yet to kill anyone that isn't required, and sadly, can't take the 'bust through thin walls' upgrade for that reason (the one time I tried it, he script-killed a baddie : (

-Alamar

There is an augment to see through walls so you know which ones not to punch through.

43. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 28, 2011, 17:59 Alamar

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 16:40:
As for the energy, I think they originally had it so it didn't recharge at all. Then they decided to allow the first one to recharge so you could still be able to do a takedown or use active powers even if you were out of candy bars. It just forces you to mix up your tactics and not rely on doing one thing so much, whether it's cloaking or takedowns, because too much of either of those would be really overpowered.

Good point.. meant to mention that I don't like the energy system... I put points in energy regen, but having purchased more slots, because I'm basically always on the first (or last if you prefer) 'battery'... I can't take out two in succession quickly, but generally have enough time to wait for recharge, like while I'm sliding the first body away.

In short, getting extra 'slots'/'batteries' seems extremely pointless, unless I want to stock up on energy items.

-Alamar

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2011, 18:05.

42. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 28, 2011, 17:59 nin

can't take the 'bust through thin walls' upgrade for that reason (the one time I tried it, he script-killed a baddie : (

I ran into that too, and was very disappointed.

Only seen it happen once, though.

41. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 28, 2011, 17:56 Dirwulf

Acleacius wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 17:26:

The Merchant windows force us to use the Arrow keys instead of the mouse. It's obviously not as big a slap in the face as the boss fights (I've only had one forced) but still it stands out as one of the only places we are forced to use Arrow keys.

I'm not having any problems using the mouse in the merchants windows. Click on the arrows to move between categories and then scroll through the items with the mouse wheel.

Also its VERY easy to cheese the boss fights. SPOILER: Cloak and then TYPHOOOOOOOOON!!! You can 1 shot Barret. I shot Ylena a couple times before I typhooned her so not sure If I could have one shotted her or not.

40. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution "Special Message" Tomorrow Aug 28, 2011, 17:47 Alamar

I caved...

Bought it from GMG early yesterday, and then put 12h into it...

Going non-lethal, sneaky hacker... Have yet to kill anyone that isn't required, and sadly, can't take the 'bust through thin walls' upgrade for that reason (the one time I tried it, he script-killed a baddie : (

There is definitely some goodness to this game, but a good deal of disappointment too, mostly regarding how silly games in general are, even if they're getting better... Nothing (I believe) that hasn't been mentioned before... patrolling in a 'void', for example.. who cares where the guy that was 10ft from you went, I'll just walk my 3 steps back and forth...

-Alamar

39. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 28, 2011, 17:41 nin

Aye!

38. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 28, 2011, 17:39  Blue 

nin wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 17:32:
Really, Blue?

Fine.

If I'm going to enforce rules, I am going to have to be even-handed about it. I trust you understand.

Whip

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

37. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 28, 2011, 17:32 nin

Really, Blue?

Fine.

36. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 28, 2011, 17:29  Blue 

Icewind wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 17:09:
Christ you guys are slow. This started appearing two days ago.

nin just now realized it?

Ugh.

Slowpokes.

Actually he sent it earlier, and I posted it today, as it seemed like it was worthy of a slow Sunday.

I admit that this shtick of yours is starting to irritate me, and it seems that is your goal. If you continue, I'm just going to assume you are daring me to ban you, and you will be accommodated.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

35. removed Aug 28, 2011, 17:27 nin

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 28, 2011, 17:31.

34. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 28, 2011, 17:26 Acleacius

This is spoiler free, afaik.

Just made it to the second city hub and it's certainly a great surprise of a game on the whole, gratz to Eidos Montreal team. Cheers

The story is very intriguing so far, hope it carries through till the ending. Also like the huge areas to explore, what a damn relief after invisible war. An extremely welcome and rare feature is the fact Eidos Montreal give Verbal Intent in dialog choices. Most developers will intentionally TRICK and TRAP the player with dialog responses.
Wamt to say that funny line in the dialog choice a bit jokey or the snarky line to lighten the mood?
Well good luck because now your relationship/faction is destroyed and an important NPC wants to fight you to the death. Slap

The things they could/need to fix?
The most important thing they could to is release an editor. Then 90% of the problems could be fixed by the community. But the question remains, do they even want or care about having a community? It's something that turns Bethesda games into classic multimillion sellers.

If they don't release one then the InDialog animation needs some work it's very stiff and lacking. Someone has mentioned the game feels like Red Faction and to me this is one of the reasons it does.

They need to allow ini editing, there really is no excuse unless they ran out of time, so far they haven't mentioned it. I never liked bloom, I sure the hell don't like it, if it's gold. We need a way to turn it off. The gold highlighting on/off works well and now one for bloom, please.

The Merchant windows force us to use the Arrow keys instead of the mouse. It's obviously not as big a slap in the face as the boss fights (I've only had one forced) but still it stands out as one of the only places we are forced to use Arrow keys.

Damn, not sure I could add more to the boss fight issue (again something feels Red Faction, forced into the game). These really take away from the great success they've had in capturing the Deus Ex feel. They could have exceed the original game in this regard if they had just believed in their game design.

Optional Third Person, no Forced Cover. Period. No really. How do developers not get this? Did you see the Skyrim video demonstration, where todd said they were surprised something like 35% of people were playing in 3rd person? As if we needed another example to see todd "out of touch" with reality.

This would obviously be better handled as a Mod or Storage dlc for personal preference. I realize how factions can change and this is a Deus Ex game. I'm only in the second city but still shouldn't we have some off the grid Storage building, cabinet or storage in transportation?

System Shock 2 really got the Game Difficulty Settings correct. Want more of a challenge? Give the player less to work with, e.g. less upgrade points, skills and abilities. Hell you could even allow less stacking. How about Easy you can stack 4 of each grenade, Medium 3 and Hard 1.

I might not need a Combat style weapon if I'm stunning and KOing, but shouldn't I be able to Mod one and put it in a secret storage locker? You know in case the developer decides to have an alien invasion or something. Whew

Btw, if the surprise is good and released tomorrow, I'll probably start a new game.

One thing I actually hate, passionately. Why are we FORCED to hear some idiot like alex jones? Shouldn't we be able to turn off the radio or shoot it. Hell, how about making a station which randomizes all three Deus Ex game music. Now that would be bad ass. Drummer

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2011, 17:43.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

173 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo