Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I was correct in my thinking that the BlueTower might be spared the worst effects of Hurricane (now Tropical Storm) Irene, though it seems like the precautions for the greater New York City area were not overdone, as there are reports of flooding and power outages from many areas. The worst you can say about here is that we have some water in the basement, we suffered DirecTV outages, and the thunder freaked out Hudson the wonder dog, so it wasn't really any worse than a heavy thunderstorm for us.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Coinbox Hero.
Big Bubble.
Links: 4 Recent Films That Are Accidentally Sequels to 80s Movies.
Media: Crossfire (ft. Steel Panther).
Captain Kirk and crew go thru Estro-Cloud & Gender Changes.
The Funnies: FoxTrot.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2011, 11:01 kanniballl

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 05:50:

Glad you are safe - but sounds like a normal spring here in MN. Go talk to the people (i call them morons) that live in the river valley that floods every year in Southern MN.

Oh I know it.

Really, as far as storms go this wasn't bad... by the time it reached here it was either a Tropical Storm... or a very low end cat1 hurricane. We've had worse freak-rain-storms in the last few years, and areas of the town have flooded worse.

People were losing their minds here prior, flooding the stores and what-not to buy their batteries and such. Covering stuff up with plastic. etcc.

I guess it's a regional thing; the area isn't used to earthquakes or really bad storms, so when they happen people freak out. Meanwhile Flordia and California are looking at us and wondering what the fuss is about.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2011, 05:50 xXBatmanXx

kanniballl wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 02:06:
Here in my section of NJ

In my town we have some rivers cresting a little, and trees down left-and-right. Some completely uprooted. Some other NJ towns got flooded. It messed up power quite royally in my town and adjoining towns, though my street faired a little better than most.

My company actually cancelled work tomorrow. I'm not complaining, a couple of the roads I take are closed (including my back-up route) so I'd rather not put too much thought into how I'm gonna make the trip.

In my house, the power and Internet have been flakey. So even if I wanted to work from home tomorrow I couldn't really trust it.

What's funny is after we cleaned up the lawn in the early afternoon (when the wind died down), it picked up again something fierce. The multi-story Oak trees shed another large batch of thick branches. Fortunately nothing struck the house, but it made all of the work a wasted effort.

Glad you are safe - but sounds like a normal spring here in MN. Go talk to the people (i call them morons) that live in the river valley that floods every year in Southern MN.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2011, 02:06 kanniballl

Here in my section of NJ

In my town we have some rivers cresting a little, and trees down left-and-right. Some completely uprooted. Some other NJ towns got flooded. It messed up power quite royally in my town and adjoining towns, though my street faired a little better than most.

My company actually cancelled work tomorrow. I'm not complaining, a couple of the roads I take are closed (including my back-up route) so I'd rather not put too much thought into how I'm gonna make the trip.

In my house, the power and Internet have been flakey. So even if I wanted to work from home tomorrow I couldn't really trust it.

What's funny is after we cleaned up the lawn in the early afternoon (when the wind died down), it picked up again something fierce. The multi-story Oak trees shed another large batch of thick branches. Fortunately nothing struck the house, but it made all of the work a wasted effort.

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 2011, 02:17.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2011, 01:32 xXBatmanXx

zirik wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 23:29:
banddirector wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 20:09:
zirik wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 16:03:
thats the thing i dont like about direcTV. the reception is weather dependent.

I've had DirecTV for more than 10 years, and I can count the weather outages we've encountered on 1 hand. The weather issues with sat tv are WAY over-exaggerated ...

you must be living in a dry climate like california or arizona. rain, cloud cover and snow takes out directv in my area.

We get really drastic and goofy weather all year around here in MN. I just got Sat tv again, but had it for a long time years ago, and never had more than 1 problem.

I have found most people's problem with Sat tv is that they have a weak signal to start with....get it setup right the first time, and it rarely goes out.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2011, 00:56 banddirector

zirik wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 23:29:

I've had DirecTV for more than 10 years, and I can count the weather outages we've encountered on 1 hand. The weather issues with sat tv are WAY over-exaggerated ...

you must be living in a dry climate like california or arizona. rain, cloud cover and snow takes out directv in my area.

Central WA state. We get rain and snow, sometimes excessive, and the only time I lost service was during very short periods (10 min or less) of really, really hard rain. Never lost service due to snow. The dish is under the eave of the house so the dish itself stays snow free and dry ....

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2011, 23:29 zirik

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2011, 21:53 The Half Elf

I'll tell ya what, living in Orlando FL for 12 years I never had my cable service down more then an hour during any hurricane (and 90% of the time was only due to loosing power all together), but my sister has had major issues with severe weather here in the Cincinnati OH area with Direct TV.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2011, 20:09 banddirector

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2011, 16:03 zirik

1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2011, 14:23 El Pit

Good to read that the Blue Tower faced irene and won! Time to change the title that Lord of the Rings volume and the movie to "The Three Towers", I guess.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo