Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I've been poopooing the hubbub about the hurricane up until now (and everyone knows how much fun a poopooed hubbub is), but the dire warnings being issued makes me think I'm just not appreciating the gravity of the situation, as the New York City area has never been hit with a storm this severe in my lifetime. Our optimistic "rain or shine" cookout has been cancelled, so I will make some sausage and peppers in the kitchen later and try and put a dent in the beer we stocked for the event. Thanks to those of you who have expressed concern over the safety of the BlueTower and its occupants, I'm pretty confident everything will be fine. Here's hoping everyone else in the impacted area stays safe and dry.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Bank Alone - Franklin.
Frantic Frigates.
Links: 14 Video Game Deleted Scenes That Explain Everything.
Classic Video Games Reimagined With Criterion Collection Box Art.
Stories: Colo. grave digger fired for dancing on grave. Thanks brother19.
Slain Navy SEAL's Devoted Dog Remains by His Side at Funeral. Thanks brother19.
Here’s the New CG Yoda That George Lucas Added to Star Wars on Blu-ray. Thanks scorcese.fan.
Science: Brand-New Supernova Spotted Within Hours, Will Be the Most-Studied Star Explosion Ever.
Doctors Who Work With X-Rays May Be Adapting at the Cellular Level to Withstand Radiation.
PBS documentary sheds light on marijuana’s cancer-killing properties.
Follow-up: Ghostbusters 3 Hopes To Shoot This Spring, Moving Forward Without Murray. Thanks Digg.
LHC results put supersymmetry theory 'on the spot'.
Commercial Space Station Hotel Operational by 2016. Thanks HARDOCP.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2011, 23:18 MxxCon

Everybody can stop worrying. I survived Hurricane Irene.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: PBS Marijuana Documentary Aug 28, 2011, 14:24 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 04:31:
Watched the whole thing yesterday (don't bother watching the preview, just jump right in to the full hour long documentary, available free from PBS).

Great stuff. Watched the whole thing yesterday. It's really a shame that this potentially highly effective medicine is saddled with so much baggage that most scientists avoid studying it. There's a great moment in the film where someone says, MJ seems to be effective treating A, B, C, and D, and some skeptic says, "that's impossible, no single drug could do that" and some other scientist comes back, well MJ consists of 500 different compounds working together, and third one says, the cannabinoids in MJ connect to receptors in the brain, liver, kidneys, and pancreas, relieving symptoms and healing disease. They did a great job showing the mechanism by which MJ works on various ailments.

Here's the kicker: the biggest side-effect that sick people using MJ complain about? THE HIGH. Bet you didn't see that coming.

I watched the whole thing after your recommendation, the part at the end with the Indian scientists researching the endocannabinoid system and possible cancer cures was new to me. I knew of the system but I didn't know how it worked as a messaging system and/or tamper for our immune system. We naturally produce endocannabinoids in smaller amounts to bind to the receptors but marijuana gives us the entire (for now mystery) cocktail all at once.

I understand the reasoning of the critic they brought on, he doesn't believe in treating sicknesses with a smokeable and doesn't agree with the cocktail approach or throw everything at it and see what sticks. I just wish he didn't have to be so douchey about it, constantly spouting off bromides like "smoking dope" etc. He could have made his argument calmly and seriously in a single sentence.

I'm a pretty ardent atheist but it's hard to deny that something seems fishy when there's a single plant that delivers so many cannabinoids that interact with our system to treat so many issues. It prompted me to go looking for research on whether other plants produce any cannabinoid. It looks like research has found that while marijuana is still the only cannabinoid producing plant, there are other plants that produce chemicals that can also bind to cannabinoid receptors but aren't one themselves or they affect the production of endocannabinoids by speeding/slowing or blocking them. These include chocolate, carrots, broccoli, and others. Some foods just make you feel good/better and I think we're finding that it's because they interact with this endocannabinoid system, it's just that marijuana does it best and as a plant that we've essentially designed ourselves through selective breeding, it's a natural cure all. So thanks evolution (system is found in nearly all animal life) and ancient shamans, witchdoctors, and now modern genius growers and scientists.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2011, 14:29.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2011, 13:56 gilly775

I've been through stronger hurricanes growing up in Jacksonville, NC. My father still lives there and he mentioned it was nothing. I'm actually happy I moved to northern Minnesota where I really don't have to worry much about natural disasters.  

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2011, 13:40 PHJF

It wasn't a "strong hurricane", it was down to a category 1 when it hit ME on the NC coast.j

I guess I'll bite on Deus Ex for $35. God knows there's been enough praise for it around here...

Steam + PSN: PHJF

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2011, 12:55 Mr. Tact

I have to say I was kind of questioning what all the "hubbub" was about until I found out it has actually been decades since a strong hurricane hit NYC. I predict minimal damage, mostly from flooding due to heavy rain.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

24. Re: New CG Yoda Aug 28, 2011, 11:34 nin

Lucas just cant help himself can he?

Don't get me started. Every time Lucas tweaks something, I want to scream.

Glad the family's ok, Blue!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

23. Re: PBS Marijuana Documentary Aug 28, 2011, 10:53 space captain

jdreyer wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 04:31:
Here's the kicker: the biggest side-effect that sick people using MJ complain about? THE HIGH. Bet you didn't see that coming.

somebody recently engineered a synthetic version of psylocibin (iirc) that has little to no hallucinatory effects, because its such an effective cure for cluster headaches

Go forth, and kill!

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2011, 10:49  Blue 

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 27, 2011, 22:08:
Cutter wrote on Aug 27, 2011, 22:00:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 27, 2011, 18:37:
Ah yes....New York....the self entitled center of the world...."Look at us look at us!"

Well the rest of the planet had a real tough time deciding between which was the better city, NYC and Minnesota, but NYC ultimately edged them out by a hair.

Yes, it's hard to choose between two cities when one of them is not a city.

He was probably confused by the fact that the population of New York City is 54% larger than the population of the state of Minnesota and that the population of the Greater New York City area is 356% percent larger than Minnesota's.

He obviously meant Minneapolis, which is a genuinely lovely place. In fact, many residents like to call the Mini-Apple in fancying their culture being reminiscent of the Big Apple's.

Anyway, thanks to all of you who were concerned, we seem to have weathered the storm very successfully here.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

21. New CG Yoda Aug 28, 2011, 04:33 Trixxta

Lucas just cant help himself can he? Why doesn't he actually try and do something else that has nothing to do with Star Wars? You know something different to what he's been doing for the past 30 years - geez... Compare the variety of films him and spielberg (similar age and length of careers) have done and its pretty sad.  
http://www.sydneyvoice.com - Interesting and Funny News, Articles and Videos from all around the Internet

20. PBS Marijuana Documentary Aug 28, 2011, 04:31 jdreyer

Watched the whole thing yesterday (don't bother watching the preview, just jump right in to the full hour long documentary, available free from PBS).

Great stuff. Watched the whole thing yesterday. It's really a shame that this potentially highly effective medicine is saddled with so much baggage that most scientists avoid studying it. There's a great moment in the film where someone says, MJ seems to be effective treating A, B, C, and D, and some skeptic says, "that's impossible, no single drug could do that" and some other scientist comes back, well MJ consists of 500 different compounds working together, and third one says, the cannabinoids in MJ connect to receptors in the brain, liver, kidneys, and pancreas, relieving symptoms and healing disease. They did a great job showing the mechanism by which MJ works on various ailments.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

19. Hurricane Aug 28, 2011, 04:13 jdreyer

I think that there a probably a couple of things over at Blue Tower you need to be concerned with:

1. Flooding. I heard that towns in the path of the storm can expect 5-12 inches of rain. That rain will fall in a period of a few hours and have nowhere to go, so maybe first thing in the morning clear the gutters and put mops and buckets in the basement if you haven't already?

2. Power loss. Hopefully you've stocked the freezer with extra ice. If not, you may want to run out first thing and get some. Also, have flashlights and candles ready, and make sure your cell phones are charged. And make sure you have plenty of canned food and drinking water on hand. When Bob (1991) and Gloria (1985) hit, we lost power for a week each time and had to deal with spoiled food, buying bottled drinking water, and eating 3 meals a day of canned tuna with saltines.

Dad is over in New London, CT, and has done a lot of prep in yard, house, and basement. He even jury rigged the Prius to run the fridge in case of an outtage.

Being a bit inland, you should be fine, but it's always a good idea to take these things seriously. Good luck!

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2011, 00:58 mag

I would love for GB3 to be good, but I have trouble picturing that happening. I think not joining up would probably be in Murray's best interest.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2011, 22:20 Killer Kane

Yeah, shame on NYC...nothing major ever happens here

Maybe we should have one of our bridges fall into a river

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2011, 22:08 Agent.X7

Cutter wrote on Aug 27, 2011, 22:00:
Ah yes....New York....the self entitled center of the world...."Look at us look at us!"

Well the rest of the planet had a real tough time deciding between which was the better city, NYC and Minnesota, but NYC ultimately edged them out by a hair.

Yes, it's hard to choose between two cities when one of them is not a city.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2011, 22:00 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2011, 21:29 RoboNerd

Doctors Who Work With X-Rays May Be Adapting at the Cellular Level to Withstand Radiation.

I always thought the Tardis would shield them.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2011, 18:37 xXBatmanXx

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2011, 18:36 sauron

space captain wrote on Aug 27, 2011, 18:12:
it would be interesting if the NY subways flooded..

somehow i doubt the storm will be super serious tho

They actually shut them down at noon today, just in case.

But yeah, doubt it will be a major problem. The news media just had nothing else to talk about all week, dog day summer and even the president was on vacation.

Kittens!

11. no one realizes till the television breaks down... Aug 27, 2011, 18:32 space captain

when the bomb drops it'll be a bank holiday  
Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: : Ghostbusters 3 Hopes To Shoot This Spring, Moving Forward Without Murray. Aug 27, 2011, 18:25 PHJF

Irene was vastly overhyped, but what do you expect what with Katrina. There was barely any rain at all (mostly a steady light rain about 24 hours), and the wind wasn't anything worse than I'd seen in bad storms in Ohio. It really lost steam after the Caribbean.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo