Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

The Secret World Beta Signup and Business Model Details

The countdown timer on The Secret World Website has reached zero, so presumably beta signups for Funcom's upcoming conspiratorial MMOG are now underway. Also, Massively has word on the game's business model, saying it will feature both subscriptions and a cash shop, as noted in this forum post, which reads:

At the presentation we revealed that The Secret World will feature a traditional paid subscription model combined with micro-transactions through an in-game store. This information was provided as part of Funcom's financial forecast going forward, and no further details were given due to the fact that we are still working on finalizing the model.

We are very excited about introducing an in-game store already from launch. Being able to integrate the store into the actual design of the game pre-launch gives us opportunities you do not normally get when introducing a store after you have launched a game.

We will be revealing more information about the store at a later date, but what we can say for now is that it will focus mostly on convenience item and character customization items such as clothing - of which The Secret World will offer a ton of variety! As developers we are being very careful in making sure that items purchased through the store does not give players any unfair advantage against those who do not use the in-game store.

Character power in The Secret World will be determined by how well you play the game, not how much money you are willing to put into it. Funcom already has considerable experience with in-game stores such as these and we have previously implemented these systems without damaging game balance in our other games, and as such we are confident the same will be true for The Secret World.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: The Secret World Beta Signup and Business Model Details Aug 27, 2011, 15:36 WyldKat

Subscription based MMOs are dying out. A few companies here and there are still releasing them but by and large the market is embracing F2P games, though I really do hope the success of GW2 will swing the pendulum into the "buy the box, get the whole game" camp. Guild Wars has one of the best deals going for it. The only thing on the cash shop are fluff items like costumes, make-over tokens, gender swap, and a neat thing to turn your character into a hero unit for another character.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: The Secret World Beta Signup and Business Model Details Aug 27, 2011, 13:30 saluk

Meh, every game has an item shop these days, f2p or not. It's basically the mmo version of dlc. Companies just can't resist the lucrative impulse business the shops generate, which comes almost for free once the store is set up. Pretty hard to say "no" to free money!

As long as it's not pay to win, I guess it's acceptable, but sure would taste better if the game were free to start with. That's definitely the direction the industry is headed though. It started in the east, but it wont be long before it is a huge part of western games as well.

8. Re: The Secret World Beta Signup and Business Model Details Aug 27, 2011, 11:43 wtf_man

...traditional paid subscription model combined with micro-transactions through an in-game store.

Yeah... that worked real well for Hellgate London (Or was it APB? I forget).

7. Re: removed Aug 27, 2011, 11:15 Dirwulf

They still can't get their shit together. The updates are kind of funny, though.

6. Re: removed Aug 27, 2011, 09:34 Slashman

Frijoles wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 23:58:
After Conan, I wonder if they built some item shop stuff in to the code so on Day X, they can just flip a switch.

That was my thought as well. It was like: 'Hey there's an 80% chance we'll hit F2P in short order anyway...let's prep now!'

5. Re: removed Aug 27, 2011, 03:00 Cutter

Jerykk wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 23:46:
They probably should have gone with free to play. The average consumer is much more likely to try your MMO if they don't have to pay $50 up front. Oh well, I'm sure it'll be F2P within a year anyway.

Agreed. Or at the very least make the client free and have a tiered pricing system along with F2P. I think the days of $50+ clients plus $15 per month - take it or leave it - or all but over at this point. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, everyone can learn from Turbine's model - which is the only one that really works IMO. and once again, I don't understand why it's an all or nothing sort of deal where if you tier it at $5, $10 and $15 dollars that many people would be happy to pay something and get more than be monetized to death. Ultimately, I think were rapidly approaching the wall where most people don't think $15 per month is enough value given how long it takes to produce new free content, much less patches or DLC shite. Particularly given that it's not just gaming but business at large all trying to nickel and dime people to death and people are tired of it.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: The Secret World Beta Signup and Business Model Details Aug 27, 2011, 02:19 entr0py

Beta signups haven't actually started, they're having technical difficulties with their webzone.
http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com/showthread.php?t=20442

It is very irritating how the homepage doesn't simply say that. Rather they're trying to put some sort of alternate reality game spin on their server problems. Now's not the time for that.

3. Re: removed Aug 26, 2011, 23:58 Frijoles

After Conan, I wonder if they built some item shop stuff in to the code so on Day X, they can just flip a switch.  

2. Re: removed Aug 26, 2011, 23:46 Jerykk

They probably should have gone with free to play. The average consumer is much more likely to try your MMO if they don't have to pay $50 up front. Oh well, I'm sure it'll be F2P within a year anyway.  

1. removed Aug 26, 2011, 23:04 sidof

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 26, 2011, 23:30.

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo