Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GameStop to Offer Compensation for DX:HR OnLive Coupon Removal

GameStop seems to continue to leak memos like a sieve, as Kotaku now features another alleged internal missive from the game store. This indicates they plan to give customers who purchased the standard Windows edition of Deus Ex: Human Revolution from GameStop a $50.00 gift certificate and an offer to buy two used games and get one free as compensation for having discarded the OnLive vouchers that were supposed to come with Eidos Montreal's action/RPG prequel. They say they've confirmed with GameStop retail locations that the following message will be sent to customers:

Dear GameStop customer,

Earlier this week, GameStop removed a competitor's coupon from standard edition PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a recent release by Square Enix. We were not aware that the product box would contain this competitor's offer. We regret the events surrounding this title release and that our customers were put in the middle of this issue between GameStop and Square Enix, the publisher of this game. And for this, we are truly sorry.

For your inconvenience, we would like to offer you a free $50 GameStop gift card and a Buy 2 Get 1 Free pre-owned purchase. We want to earn back your trust and confidence in the GameStop experience. Please bring in this email and your store receipt or order confirmation from GameStop.com and present it to a Game Advisor.

Sincerely, Paul Raines CEO, GameStop

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: GameStop to Offer Compensation for DX:HR OnLive Coupon Removal Aug 29, 2011, 08:46 VogelAP

Has anyone actually gone in and gotten their giftcard and stuff?

EDIT TO ADD: I stopped by GameStop during lunch today and was given a $50 gift card and a buy-two-get-one-free deal. I took in my original register receipt and the printed email I received from GameStop. The clerk handled it immediately.

I used part of the $50 gift card to pre-purchase the TeamICO collection (PS3) that comes out in a month or so...

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 2011, 15:06.

-drew
www.drewvogel.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Heading in tomorrow... Aug 27, 2011, 23:34 Jerykk

Not a bad move on GameStop's behalf. Unfortunately, if you take them up on their offer, you're still giving them money.  

27. Re: Heading in tomorrow... Aug 27, 2011, 09:17 Kedyn

For a company that hocks video games, that's a pretty generous way to compensate for what they've done. I might actually purchase from them again in the future now.  

26. Re: Heading in tomorrow... Aug 27, 2011, 09:00 eRe4s3r

And?  

25. Re: GameStop to Offer Compensation for DX:HR OnLive Coupon Removal Aug 27, 2011, 06:27 Dev

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 20:31:
I don't understand why anyone buys anything at Gamestop. I really don't get it.
And yet, in just this one thread about one particular game, there's posts from 2 people who say they bought it there and a third that very nearly bought it there instead of best buy.

All retail B&M purchases, all overpriced compared to things like $30 sales GMG has been running on the game where they give you a steam code. BTW, the cut the publishers get from retail purchases is much smaller than the cut from digital purchases, if anyone wants to support specific companies with gaming dollars.

And these are bluesnews people who tend more to be PC gamers, not the mass hordes of consolers who regularly buy there.

IMHO Gamestop is in no danger at all in at least the next 5 years. After that, maybe.

24. Re: GameStop to Offer Compensation for DX:HR OnLive Coupon Removal Aug 27, 2011, 06:20 Dev

Sounds like that rogue VP (my pet theory, aka right hand/left hand) who loves mass spam emails to the entire gamestop chain, and making knee jerk off the cuff decisions finally got reined in.

He first decided "ZOMG that's a competitor and we didn't know about the coupons so we gotta remove them all!" Despite the fact that those articles talking about how those coupons were originally going to be a gamestop exclusive, which means they WERE approved.

Then he decides that "ZOMG thats not enough lets pull them all from shelves" which prompted square enix to kiss the dust and beg with the apologies so they could get back into gamestop.

Now he gets reined in. They musta had a meeting and asked "WTF are you doing?"

I doubt anyone will get fired over this though. At worst, the VP would be let go with a nice fat 7 figure severance package.

23. Re: GameStop to Offer Compensation for DX:HR OnLive Coupon Removal Aug 27, 2011, 01:40 Surf

"offer you a free $50 GameStop gift card and a Buy 2 Get 1 Free pre-owned purchase"

Key word you tools is AND, read the sentence and read AND

That means
$50 gift card
AND
a Buy 2 get 1 Free

Or am I the idiot misreading this?

22. Re: GameStop to Offer Compensation for DX:HR OnLive Coupon Removal Aug 27, 2011, 00:39 Illumin

It still screws over OnLive. Id think they would be pretty pissed about this too. I like how they stated they were not aware it would contain the competitor's offer.. So wait do they look through every game to see what they should take out? Or are they full of shit and they knew perfectly well there would be a coupon that could draw a few customers away from them and to a competitor? Very shady.  

21. Heading in tomorrow... Aug 26, 2011, 22:43 JohnBirshire

Reading bluesnews pays off again!

I will head into Gamestop tomorrow and see if this works. I half expect the pimply faced kid at the counter not to have a clue what I'm talking about, try to say they didn't take anything out of the box, and accuse me of faking the letter, but its worth a shot.

I will edit this post tomorrow as to whether I actually got a $50 gift card or not.

*update* The Gamestop employee didn't know anything about the offer, but he read about the controversy so didn't argue with me. I didn't take the "Buy 2 get 1 pre-order free" coupon, as that was just a clever trick. Appreciate the gift card though.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2011, 01:43.

20. Re: GameStop to Offer Compensation for DX:HR OnLive Coupon Removal Aug 26, 2011, 21:31 Mashiki Amiketo

VogelAP wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 20:10:
I bought mine at GameStop and was surprised that it didn't include the OnLive code. I think they're taking a reasonable step.
You mean selling pre-opened products with something missing at full price? Well... I guess. It's rather illegal but hey.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

19. Re: GameStop to Offer Compensation for DX:HR OnLive Coupon Removal Aug 26, 2011, 21:03 jimnms

What about customers that didn't give them an email address? What if a customer wants the OnLive coupon? And didn't LameStop quit selling used PC games?  

MeanJim on Steam

18. Re: GameStop to Offer Compensation for DX:HR OnLive Coupon Removal Aug 26, 2011, 20:31 Wowbagger_TIP

I don't understand why anyone buys anything at Gamestop. I really don't get it. I also find it amusing that they actually think that anyone had trust or confidence in them to begin with.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

17. Re: GameStop to Offer Compensation for DX:HR OnLive Coupon Removal Aug 26, 2011, 20:10 VogelAP

I bought mine at GameStop and was surprised that it didn't include the OnLive code. I think they're taking a reasonable step.  
-drew
www.drewvogel.com

16. Re: GameStop to Offer Compensation for DX:HR OnLive Coupon Removal Aug 26, 2011, 20:05 JediPunisher

Great, a $50 credit to buy another used game... I mean, a new game that's been raided for goodies and rewrapped.

A very expensive mistake for Gamestop... but cheaper to bribe us than lose the inevitable class action lawsuit.

15. Re: GameStop to Offer Compensation for DX:HR OnLive Coupon Removal Aug 26, 2011, 19:51 necrosis

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 17:12:
Okay, okay... Use the gift card to get a free game, THEN never go there again.
Games are $50 again?

14. Re: GameStop to Offer Compensation for DX:HR OnLive Coupon Removal Aug 26, 2011, 19:36 raVen

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 18:23:

FUUUUUCK, I literally went to Best Buy to purchase this game which is right next door to the gamestop.

I said to myself "more than likely gamestop won't even have the Windows version" and I said fuck it and went to best buy.
Trust me, you'll be happier in the long run if you keep that attitude up.

13. Re: GameStop to Offer Compensation for DX:HR OnLive Coupon Removal Aug 26, 2011, 18:33 Jivaro

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 17:12:
Okay, okay... Use the gift card to get a free game, THEN never go there again.

LOL...awesome...and soooo true.

12. Re: GameStop to Offer Compensation for DX:HR OnLive Coupon Removal Aug 26, 2011, 18:23 Rattlehead

FUUUUUCK, I literally went to Best Buy to purchase this game which is right next door to the gamestop.

I said to myself "more than likely gamestop won't even have the Windows version" and I said fuck it and went to best buy.

11. Re: GameStop to Offer Compensation for DX:HR OnLive Coupon Removal Aug 26, 2011, 18:22 nin

Grin......Have you caught your breath yet nin?

The funniest thing I've read this week.

All this hassle to remove a coupon for a shitty-ass service.

I can only hope someone at lamestop lost their job over it.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

10. Re: GameStop to Offer Compensation for DX:HR OnLive Coupon Removal Aug 26, 2011, 18:16 Creston

All this hassle to remove a coupon for a shitty-ass service.

Good job, Gamestop.

Creston

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo