Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced

Razer's pcgamingisnotdead.com now shows off the Razer Blade, a gaming laptop computer they recently teased will "bring a new age of openness and innovation to all gaming." The Razer Blade announcement calls this "the worldís first true gaming laptop," though they then explain the innovation is that their take on portable gaming is thinner and lighter than their competition's, saying other gaming laptops "compromise on portability and form factor" as opposed to theirs, which strikes "a balance between portability and performance." The Razer Blade is under an inch thick, weighs just under seven pounds, features an Intel i7 CPU, an NVIDIA GPU, and Razer's Switchblade User Interface, which "is comprised of 10 dynamic adaptive tactile keys for easier access of in-game commands, and an LCD capable of two modes: one mode that displays in-game information when a mouse is in use; and another mode that functions as an ultra-sensitive, multi-touch panel designed for gaming on the go." Its expected to go on sale in North America by the end of this year carrying a price tag of $2799.99 USD.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced Aug 27, 2011, 11:22 ColoradoHoudini

Mcboinkens wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 23:43:
http://i.imgur.com/wTTck.png

Sums it up quite nicely.
HAHA awesome!
-------------------------

Also, a $2800.00 laptop doesn't help anything in the PC world. It just gives the console crowd a chance to say "see, look at how expensive PC gaming is"..fence sitters get to see a ridiculously high cost as well, maybe turning them off to PC gaming.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced Aug 27, 2011, 00:11 ^Drag0n^

Seriously guys, why hate on this? Anything that brings attention to the PC platform is a good thing, and love them or hate them, Razer invented the gaming mouse; were it not for them, we'd all still be using intellimouse clones.

It's bad enough that we're treated like a minority as it is :/

Just my $0.02.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

31. Re: Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced Aug 26, 2011, 23:43 Mcboinkens

http://i.imgur.com/wTTck.png

Sums it up quite nicely.

30. Re: Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced Aug 26, 2011, 21:44 Doombringer

What dipshit at the top of Razer decided the world needed another extreme gaming laptop? Seriously.

The world of PC gaming is not lived on the bleeding edge. Your average gamer will not have that kind of setup; they can't afford $2800. For a laptop. $2800 for hardware that's obsolete in 2 years or so? Yeesh. Spend half... no, spend a third of that and get a pretty screamin' desktop rig instead.

You can see why a lot of gamers skip the PC releases of titles and buy them on XBox or PS3. The console cost them at most $300-ish and the games are the same price. Plus they can trade them in. A $2800 laptop with 'adaptive' keys... I say again, yeesh.

No, Razer. This is not PC gaming. PC gaming right now is strong in the indie market, because those games aren't going to consoles. Unless they get insanely popular (I'm looking at you, Notch). And these games don't need a whiz-bang laptop to play them. Get with it.

29. Re: Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced Aug 26, 2011, 19:29 HorrorScope

No doubt they didn't go in thinking, lets put the best in this and give it a great price. No they went in lets put good parts in it, put in a nice profit for every part we did, hype it and sell it!

Fact is there are mega-rich people out there that wouldn't bat an eye at the price if they thought they just bought the best. I can only assume that is their target audience. Otherwise I'm in the $800-$1200 range for a gaming laptop.

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2011, 19:59.

28. Re: Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced Aug 26, 2011, 19:02 xXBatmanXx

It is almost 3x what you can build the pc for at the same level.....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

27. Re: Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced Aug 26, 2011, 17:46 Flatline

LgFriess wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 14:46:
$2800... really? REALLY?! Marketed for those of us that like to sit on the couch, play our favorite games (only for a year or two because all the hardware in this overpriced POS will quickly be out of date), and toss packets of $100's into the fireplace for some warmth and ambiance.

It's priced towards mac users who want to play games. 17 inch macbook pro already clocks in at 2500 bucks.

26. Re: Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced Aug 26, 2011, 16:54 Agent.X7

Ugh, so instead of the full OLED gaming device, they stick a mutlitouch pad and a few OLED buttons off to the side on a laptop and charge almost 3 grand.

My Alienware desktop cost less than half that (Granted I get a student discount, but still...). I'd consider a cool OLED multitouch pad peripheral for MMO games like WoW or SWTOR, but not a laptop version of their SWTOR keyboard.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

25. Re: Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced Aug 26, 2011, 16:25 Creston

Narcosist wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 16:21:
Creston wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 14:35:
In fact, I like having an "assassinate" option, though I wish non-lethal takedowns didn't last permanently. If you want to play non-lethal, it SHOULD be harder than just killing them. Make them be down for a real-time hour, then they wake up and sound the alarm. (unless you're there to put them to sleep again, hehe) Puts a bit of urgency in your sneaking.

Creston

I thought the same thing, but then a patrolling guard came by and woke up the guard I had put to sleep, and they both went on alert. He even picked up his gun (I forgot to take away from him)... So, there is a difference between lethal and non-lethal, and the AI is pretty damn smart to boot.

That patrolling guard will only patrol in the immediate vicinity, though. So unless you leave the body right in his path, he'll never find it.

Though I admit I'm not very far into the game, and I'm not playing on Deus Ex level. So those might make a difference. (God, I hope they do.)

Edit : Welcome, btw.

Creston

24. Re: Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced Aug 26, 2011, 16:21 Narcosist

Creston wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 14:35:
In fact, I like having an "assassinate" option, though I wish non-lethal takedowns didn't last permanently. If you want to play non-lethal, it SHOULD be harder than just killing them. Make them be down for a real-time hour, then they wake up and sound the alarm. (unless you're there to put them to sleep again, hehe) Puts a bit of urgency in your sneaking.

Creston

I thought the same thing, but then a patrolling guard came by and woke up the guard I had put to sleep, and they both went on alert. He even picked up his gun (I forgot to take away from him)... So, there is a difference between lethal and non-lethal, and the AI is pretty damn smart to boot.

23. Re: Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced Aug 26, 2011, 16:19 Creston

^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 15:07:
Re: DXHR. Totally in love with it. I also found the true cause of the mouse lag. It appears to be specific to nVidia cards, an is due to the default setting of "3" for the "Maximum pre-rendered frames" setting under "manage 3D settings" in the control panel. If you set it to zero, everything works great. Turned SSAO back on in DXHR, and haven't had an issue since.

No idea why you would actually want to render ahead in an FPS, anyway.

^D^

:-blink-: :-blink-:

Eh... good sleuthing there, man. Damn.

Creston

22. Re: Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced Aug 26, 2011, 16:17 Creston

Verno wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 14:43:

They will wake up if someone discovers them but yeah otherwise they're down for the count. I love everything about the game, all of the little city touches, the quest hubs are well done, lots of hidden things to discover and etc. It's just an incredible experience. It's really cool to compare play styles too, a friend of mine is going through right now without upgrading hacking so he runs into a lot of cameras and stuff he has trouble getting past. Normally there are bypass routes but instead hes been stacking up boxes in front of them, I had to laugh at the simple ingenuity that the game seems to nurture.

Yeah, but the discovery is typically limited to people in their immediate vicinity, and I've already taken them down too.

I love that you can do mission critical objectives BEFORE you're aware that you need to do them without breaking the game. Jesus, that only took like 40 years before a developer finally figured that one out.

I'm playing an "augment as you need it" type character, so I keep my praxis points in reserve until I come to a situation where I figure "Hmm, that would come in handy", and then I upgrade to fit the need. I thought at first I'd dislike the ability of being able to upgrade whatever you want, when you want (unlike Deus Ex where you had to find the actual upgrade first), but it's really fun with this play style.

I massively upgraded hacking first, but to be honest, other than the capture software, you don't really need it. Even with Stealth 3, level 1 nodes will still trigger a fucking alert, so it's kind of pointless. Just rapidly click and you can finish 99% of all hacks before the timer ever reaches zero. (it took me awhile to realize that you can hack as many nodes as you can access at the same time.)

I haven't yet bought the upgrades to disable cameras and turrets. You run into those so infrequently that I don't really find it worthwhile.

That said, you also get to upgrade quite a lot. I think I've already earned, found and bought like 14 Praxis Points. And there's plenty more upgrades I want to get.

In some ways, it's better than the original Deus Ex.

Creston

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 2011, 16:24.

21. Re: Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced Aug 26, 2011, 16:00 venomhed

And generous battery life of 16 minutes and 6 seconds (When idle!)

Pass. Defeats the entire point of a laptop.

20. Re: Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced Aug 26, 2011, 15:20 pagb

320gb? No SSD? Just a GTX550... LOL!  

19. Re: Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced Aug 26, 2011, 15:07 ^Drag0n^

PC gaming isn't dead...it's just really F-ing expensive.

Does look very nice though. Would look better if the lighting were blue.

Re: DXHR. Totally in love with it. I also found the true cause of the mouse lag. It appears to be specific to nVidia cards, an is due to the default setting of "3" for the "Maximum pre-rendered frames" setting under "manage 3D settings" in the control panel. If you set it to zero, everything works great. Turned SSAO back on in DXHR, and haven't had an issue since.

No idea why you would actually want to render ahead in an FPS, anyway.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

18. Re: Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced Aug 26, 2011, 14:57 Beamer

Under an inch thick... but seven pounds? Jesus. Then again, I guess it's a 17.3" screen and therefore actually light for a full desktop replacement. The LED touchpad is pretty sweet, but I can't imagine any game will support it.

And why does the website resize my browser? Jerks.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced Aug 26, 2011, 14:46 LgFriess

$2800... really? REALLY?! Marketed for those of us that like to sit on the couch, play our favorite games (only for a year or two because all the hardware in this overpriced POS will quickly be out of date), and toss packets of $100's into the fireplace for some warmth and ambiance.  

16. Re: Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced Aug 26, 2011, 14:43 Verno

They will wake up if someone discovers them but yeah otherwise they're down for the count. I love everything about the game, all of the little city touches, the quest hubs are well done, lots of hidden things to discover and etc. It's just an incredible experience. It's really cool to compare play styles too, a friend of mine is going through right now without upgrading hacking so he runs into a lot of cameras and stuff he has trouble getting past. Normally there are bypass routes but instead hes been stacking up boxes in front of them, I had to laugh at the simple ingenuity that the game seems to nurture.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

15. Re: Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced Aug 26, 2011, 14:36 sauron

For that amount of money you could buy 560 copies of Deus Ex and send them to all your buddies on bluesnews *hint hint*.  

Kittens!

14. Re: Razer Blade Gaming Laptop Announced Aug 26, 2011, 14:35 Creston

Verno wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 13:53:
PC version and it's the best game I've played since Deus Ex 1 I felt so bad for getting it for $28 that I bought my brother a full price copy to ruin his college studies. Without a doubt, the game of the year.

I have to replay it a few times to see how options turn out (I still found a new way/time to kill Anna in my 8th playthrough of Deus Ex,) but if they are as varied as they were in Deus Ex... Human Revolution might genuinely become my best game of all time.

It's really THAT good. The combat is meaty, the stealth is fantastic, and the much-worried about points of switching to 3rd person when in cover and the takedowns don't detract from the experience at all.

Creston

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo