Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives

The Bethesda Blog has a news roundup for the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, the upcoming RPG sequel. They point to a RipTen preview where the author describes a vampire encounter, and interviews by the tireless Pete Hines, who discussed the game with Computec, Destructoid, FBC, and GameSpot during Gamescom. They also note the news on Joystiq that the first two DLC packs for Skyrim will be timed Xbox 360 exclusives: "Earlier this morning, Microsoft announced that the first two pieces of game add-on content for Skyrim will be releasing exclusively on Xbox 360 — 30 days before they’re available anywhere else. When we have more details on the content, we’ll let everyone know. "

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives Aug 27, 2011, 05:52 xXBatmanXx

I want to get this game so bad on pc....just afraid of day 1 bugs and issues that plague their games....  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives Aug 26, 2011, 23:31 Jerykk

They do it all the time. I can't believe they pay these companies good money to not release elsewhere as if it really makes that big a dif.

Microsoft has always thrived on screwing the competition.

38. Re: First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives Aug 26, 2011, 19:23 HorrorScope

Acleacius wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 14:03:
m$ = desperate

I tend to look at it that way.

37. Re: First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives Aug 26, 2011, 19:22 HorrorScope

Jerykk wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 12:12:
Didn't MS bribe their way into the same deal with the FNV DLC? I'm pretty sure Dead Money was 360-exclusive at first.

They do it all the time. I can't believe they pay these companies good money to not release elsewhere as if it really makes that big a dif.

36. Re: First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives Aug 26, 2011, 19:10 Akuinnen

necrosis wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 11:28:
And Microsoft is so for PC gaming.

Isn't it about time for them to state their commitment to PC gaming again?

35. Re: First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives Aug 26, 2011, 18:55 space captain

Alamar wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 12:40:
Irregardless

thats not a real word, hoss

Go forth, and kill!

34. Re: First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives Aug 26, 2011, 18:06 Ruffiana

Beamer wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 17:03:
It is one thing to churn out quick DLC content post release of a game, but it is sickening to see companies not even attempt to hide the fact they are excluding content months in advance just to make some extra cash at the consumer's expense.

They're not excluding!

In a game like Skyrim a billion ideas come up. Some of those ideas get cut because they suck. Other ideas get cut because they simply don't have enough time or money. With DLC, they can revisit those ideas at a later date. So, when sitting in a project meeting and realizing they need to take something out, rather than going through the heart-wrenching process of deciding what audiences never need to see they can instead just say "well, we'll add this later on."

It's not "excluding," it's giving you something that you wouldn't have seen otherwise.
I swear, it's like some of you think that these companies either have infinite budgets and infinite time or you think they're exactly perfect with their time planning and never have to drop features and content as they move closer to release.

Speaking as a developer, things that are cut before going into beta--or worse submitting for concole TRC--are prime candidates for future DLC.

While the release candidate is going through all of the testing and bug-fixing, content creation can continue on things all that stuff seperately from the game without endangering the release date as it's not part of the game game. That content can be finished, tested, and certified ready for release shortly after launch or even on day one.

No problem with DLC here. Like games, you should take a few minutes to seek out reviews and see what you're getting for your money. And this time-limite exclusivity is perfectly acceptable to me. Wish more bonus content/DLC had been done this way (I'm looking at you Mr. Play-as-the-Joker in Arkham Asylum on the PS3)

33. Re: First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives Aug 26, 2011, 17:58 WyldKat

That's fine.

I'll be playing all the free DLC I want on the PC. Hooray for mod tools!

32. Re: First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives Aug 26, 2011, 17:03 Beamer

It is one thing to churn out quick DLC content post release of a game, but it is sickening to see companies not even attempt to hide the fact they are excluding content months in advance just to make some extra cash at the consumer's expense.

They're not excluding!

In a game like Skyrim a billion ideas come up. Some of those ideas get cut because they suck. Other ideas get cut because they simply don't have enough time or money. With DLC, they can revisit those ideas at a later date. So, when sitting in a project meeting and realizing they need to take something out, rather than going through the heart-wrenching process of deciding what audiences never need to see they can instead just say "well, we'll add this later on."

It's not "excluding," it's giving you something that you wouldn't have seen otherwise.
I swear, it's like some of you think that these companies either have infinite budgets and infinite time or you think they're exactly perfect with their time planning and never have to drop features and content as they move closer to release.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives Aug 26, 2011, 16:49 Silicon Avatar

I actually liked all the Mass Effect DLC, including the pointless outfit upgrades. I'm pretty sure I bought all or most of the Oblivion DLC too.

Bring on the DLC.

If you are gaming on a budget then buy used, get the GOTY editions, or wait for a Steam sale. There are so many ways to get discount games now nobody should be lacking in entertainment.

30. Re: First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives Aug 26, 2011, 16:48 jimnms

Illumin wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 12:30:
Tumbler wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 11:10:
Sigh.

Would people stop spending money on DLC please? This is becoming extremely annoying to see companies hack up their game to try and sell bits and pieces to you after launch.

Wait and buy the Game of the year edition then. /boggle.

That's probably what I'm going to do. I pre-ordered it from Amazon, then from NewEgg when they had a sale just in case Amazon's price doesn't fall since I get release day delivery there. It's not like I've got a shortage of games to play until the game is "finished" and re-released in a complete form (GOTY).

MeanJim on Steam

29. Re: First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives Aug 26, 2011, 16:27 Creston

I would have an issue with it if they released a 3 hour game that's blatantly unfinished, then require you to buy DLC in order to finish it.

I somehow think that, with Skyrim, lack of content isn't going to be a complaint we'll hear a lot.

Creston

28. Re: First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives Aug 26, 2011, 15:07 jsmith

Releasing DLCs instead of expansion packs is one thing, but announcing multiple DLCs a quarter of a year before the game is shipped is something entirely different. You know they have been brokering this deal with Microsoft for awhile now, maybe even over the past couple of months. So there has been more than enough time to include this content into the game itself.

And for those of you who would defend Bethesda with the 'the game is already done, they are just working on polish and DLC at this point', that is utter BS. We know Bethesda. They require years of post release time just to bug fix their engines. And for something as grand of a game as Skyrim is supposed to be, they certainly could use every single developer in their studio squashing bugs instead of trying to churn out multiple zero day DLC for the game. It is nothing more than pure greed and this is something I would expect from Activision, EA, or Ubisoft, but I was really hoping Bethesda wouldn't join their ranks.

27. Re: First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives Aug 26, 2011, 14:39 Creston

Tumbler wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 13:02:
But how are The Secret Armory of General Knoxx, Lair of the Shadowbroker, and Old World Blues, to name but a few, ripoffs? They're awesome, meaty DLC that give a good story, extend the game world with new areas, new items, etc.

I think your missing the forest while looking at the trees. The Secret Armory of G. Knoxx is 1/4 DLC's offered. The lair of the Shadow Broker is 1/5? Old World Blues is 1/5? (guessing)

If you consider buying all those and only one feels like a good deal worth mentioning I think something is wrong. I love DLC that is a good value for your dollar but DLC in general is a horrible product. Looking forward to it as a general rule doesn't make sense to me. It's guilty until proven innocent I'm afraid.

So your argument is that unless ALL of it is good, none of it is good? So... how do you play games then? Or watch movies? or read books?

Your argument makes no sense whatsoever. And yes, you're right, the three I mentioned were the ONLY good DLCs that have ever come out. Rolleyes

Did you ever figure maybe I didn't feel like writing down 50 names?

Creston

26. Re: First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives Aug 26, 2011, 14:33 Verno

And stop whining about it being "removed content. Even Day 1 DLC isn't "removed content," it's a separate team with a separate budget working on separate content.

That's a canyon sized assumption to leap over. People aren't going to just take your word for it or something. Consumers don't care how someone classifies it on their budget sheet, when they are pushing content months ahead of release then that could have gone in the box. Just because they decided to sell it afterward doesn't mean it's acceptable, it's a case by case matter. Consumers have every right to and absolutely should whine, it helps keep the industry honest.

I totally get why people are naturally suspicious about DLC announced so far in advance. Where they lose me is assuming all DLC itself is a bad value.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

25. Re: First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives Aug 26, 2011, 14:21 Beamer

Indeed, there is good DLC. There is bad DLC. Don't play the bad DLC. If you hate DLC don't play any DLC. I bought some of Oblivion's (not everything was in the Game of the Year.) I think I bought one of the Borderlands ones but never found it. I bought one of the Saints Row 2 ones and really questioned the value. I bought some of the Fallout 3 but not NV. And I bought Undead Nightmare.
Overall I got a lot of value from most of those purchases, particularly Undead Nightmare, and don't regret a thing. Nor do I regret ignoring DLC for everything else. And hell, I would have killed for a MW2 DLC pack giving more co-op specops missions (hands down the best part of that game for me.)

And stop whining about it being "removed content." There have been a few hints of this from some games, but they've been rare. Even Day 1 DLC isn't "removed content," it's a separate team with a separate budget working on separate content.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives Aug 26, 2011, 14:19 deadearth

Yeah, not sure why the anger about the DLC. I can understand to some degree if the dlc was shipped Day 1, but if you read the article, they aren't even sure what the dlc is at this point, nor how big it will be. Would you be equally angry if they announced a $30 expansion that is equally uncertain today in terms of content?

Sorry, the article i was referring to:
http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3076322

"We don't know what we're going to make yet, but we'd like them to be closer to an expansion pack feel."

23. Re: First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives Aug 26, 2011, 14:03 Acleacius

m$ = desperate  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

22. Re: First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives Aug 26, 2011, 13:14 Verno

You take the good with the bad, there are many bad games out there too but that doesn't stop people from valuing and enjoying the good ones. There is enough good DLC on the market these days to warrant a different attitude towards it. Preorder DLC is where things get dicey more than anything else.

I think your motivations for saying anything about it are far less principled than you'd like us to believe anyway. Your views on these subjects aren't usually very rational and seemingly aren't even rooted in reality frequently either.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

21. Re: First Skyrim DLCs Timed Xbox 360 Exclusives Aug 26, 2011, 13:02 Tumbler

But how are The Secret Armory of General Knoxx, Lair of the Shadowbroker, and Old World Blues, to name but a few, ripoffs? They're awesome, meaty DLC that give a good story, extend the game world with new areas, new items, etc.

I think your missing the forest while looking at the trees. The Secret Armory of G. Knoxx is 1/4 DLC's offered. The lair of the Shadow Broker is 1/5? Old World Blues is 1/5? (guessing)

If you consider buying all those and only one feels like a good deal worth mentioning I think something is wrong. I love DLC that is a good value for your dollar but DLC in general is a horrible product. Looking forward to it as a general rule doesn't make sense to me. It's guilty until proven innocent I'm afraid.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo