Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Trailers

A new preview on IGN takes a look at Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, the recently announced installment in Valve's tactical shooter series. They discuss how this does not attempt to reinvent the series, saying there will be updated versions of maps like Dust and Aztec, while others, "like Dust 2, are largely unchanged." They discuss how bots will fill out teams, and how PC players will be able to set up servers (console players will not), and offer further details on gameplay, including plans for cross-platform play. Capping this all off, they also offer a Video Preview along with an Underpass Firefight Video and a Planting the Bomb Video, which all show off gameplay.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Trailers Aug 26, 2011, 20:56 Krovven

If it's $10 or $15 like I think it will be. I'll get it.

Has all my favorite maps at launch, so should be a good time. I hope my autoexec.cfg custom menu buys still works. I don't want to touch that radial menu. Didn't want to use the old ui either

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Trailers Aug 26, 2011, 20:27 xXBatmanXx

Animals for Crackers wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 19:44:
Better textutes and Molotov's - thats all this is.

Go and watch each a gameplay video of Source and GO(terrible acronym btw) side by side, I think you're not being very objective about this whole CS:GO thing. Pray tell, why does it irk and work you into such a lather?

Be fair, there's a lot more going on visually in the new iteration than you're giving credit for.

Though I am kinda ambivalent on whether all this added detail and visual clutter compared to the more sparse, clean look of the previous two is a good thing for or might have some negative effect on the gameplay. Whether the player models contrast enough with their environment.

Well, if they expect it to sell as good as the 2 previous iterations, I think they will find a lot of the community that plays CS (yes there are people that ONLY play CS) won't be able to run the game!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

14. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Trailers Aug 26, 2011, 19:44 Animals for Crackers

Better textutes and Molotov's - thats all this is.

Go and watch each a gameplay video of Source and GO(terrible acronym btw) side by side, I think you're not being very objective about this whole CS:GO thing. Pray tell, why does it irk and work you into such a lather?

Be fair, there's a lot more going on visually in the new iteration than you're giving credit for.

Though I am kinda ambivalent on whether all this added detail and visual clutter compared to the more sparse, clean look of the previous two is a good thing for or might have some negative effect on the gameplay. Whether the player models contrast enough with their environment.

13. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Trailers Aug 26, 2011, 19:07 xXBatmanXx

I only watched part of the last video, which helped me make a decision - no thanks.

Headshot, headshot, headshot, all with hip fires and on the run. I never understood why this game was so popular. Looks the same to me, just better models....

This is just a money grab at the consoles....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

12. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Trailers Aug 26, 2011, 17:29 EddieTheHack

They'll get around to that with Counter-Strike 2, which will probably be bundled with an expansion to Half-Life 3 around 2020.

Only 2020? I was figuring it would ship around 2120....

11. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Trailers Aug 26, 2011, 16:30 MrRadicalEd

throw in iron sights and I'm game. Maybe Valve is reserving that addition for the next large installment; which, I doubt Valve will do a full reboot any time soon since their business model of refurbishing acquired community mods and recycling seems to be their forte.  

10. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Trailers Aug 26, 2011, 16:05 jacobvandy

EddieTheHack wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 12:08:
Verno wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 11:30:
Dust on pubs and Dust in clan matches are two entirely different things though. There is no reason to get rid of Dust, it's very well balanced when played with the intended amount of players.

You are absolutely right. Clan and Pub are two different experiences on dust, or any other map. Dust is also very well balanced. The problem is I see no need to buy a game that has almost exactly the same content as the game it is being positioned to replace. I have played around 1,400 matches on dust over the years and im sick of it. Im sick of all the official maps to be honest which I why I dropped out of my clan and quit playing the game all the time. I still jump on from time to time but not like I used to. Valve is aiming this at competition and bringing in the console kiddies. Any CS:S player worth his roster position knows the maps blindfolded. Its bad enough using a controller whithout playing against a group of people who have thousands of hours of experience in the maps. I just want some new official maps to learn. Most of all, I never want to play dust again.

I love how PC gamers constantly bitch about how COD is 'the same game every year' and yet when a new CS game is coming out with the EXACT same maps those voices are silent. Better textutes and Molotov's - thats all this is. Unless the game is $1.99 at launch its not worth it.

You do realize that CS:S came out almost SEVEN years ago, right? And that they've announced there will be new maps? That this will be a multiplatform release on Steam, XBL, and PSN, which means it won't cost more than $10-15? That this game will NOT replace CS:S, which will in fact continue to be updated after CS:GO is released?

It's fine for you to be burnt out on Counter-Strike, but there are plenty of people that aren't and would welcome an update, plus even more people that never played it because it's only been available on PC. Believe it or not, Valve is much more interested in reaching out to those people than trying to "win back" people like you with something new. They'll get around to that with Counter-Strike 2, which will probably be bundled with an expansion to Half-Life 3 around 2020.

9. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Trailers Aug 26, 2011, 12:15 Verno

I love how PC gamers constantly bitch about how COD is 'the same game every year' and yet when a new CS game is coming out with the EXACT same maps those voices are silent. Better textutes and Molotov's - thats all this is. Unless the game is $1.99 at launch its not worth it.

That's usually what people want though, very well balanced competitive shooters with the visuals upgraded every now and then. Were they supposed to ignore what people want and throw in vehicles just because? People get on the case of Call of Duty for the frequency of releases and derivative aspects, not just because its doing the same thing and progressively improving it. If Valve was releasing Counter-Strike once a year with updated textures alone then yeah, people would undoubtedly feel differently about it.

Im sick of all the official maps to be honest which I why I dropped out of my clan and quit playing the game all the time

There are a ton of great custom maps that are well suited for clan play as well if you're ever interested. I found a server running a rotation full of them and it really reinvigorated my interest in the game.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

8. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Trailers Aug 26, 2011, 12:08 EddieTheHack

Dust on pubs and Dust in clan matches are two entirely different things though. There is no reason to get rid of Dust, it's very well balanced when played with the intended amount of players.

You are absolutely right. Clan and Pub are two different experiences on dust, or any other map. Dust is also very well balanced. The problem is I see no need to buy a game that has almost exactly the same content as the game it is being positioned to replace. I have played around 1,400 matches on dust over the years and im sick of it. Im sick of all the official maps to be honest which I why I dropped out of my clan and quit playing the game all the time. I still jump on from time to time but not like I used to. Valve is aiming this at competition and bringing in the console kiddies. Any CS:S player worth his roster position knows the maps blindfolded. Its bad enough using a controller whithout playing against a group of people who have thousands of hours of experience in the maps. I just want some new official maps to learn. Most of all, I never want to play dust again.

7. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Trailers Aug 26, 2011, 11:56 Halo

Get rid of Dust lol that will never happen. I just got back into CSS I'm an Office junkie though. It's interesting to see CS still alive and kicking though I can barley remember downloading the beta for HL when it came out...

6. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Trailers Aug 26, 2011, 11:30 Verno

5. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Trailers Aug 26, 2011, 11:26 EddieTheHack

Aside from the fresh coat of paint and UI changes this does not have me excited anymore. CS has always been my goto game because of the skill it takes to play. I was really hoping that GO would update the visuals but keep the underlying mechanics. As it stands right now GO is a texture pack. Also, please for the love of God and all that is holy get rid of dust. I have played so many matches on it I have had dreams about that friggin map. It would be nice to get an entirely new set of maps to have to learn that are in the official rotation. The game may as well be called Dust since thats what CS:S turned into.  

4. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Trailers Aug 26, 2011, 11:17 Verno

As someone who plays CS:S almost every day it looked fine to me. CS:S has a shit UI as well but everyone just uses quick swap anyway.  

3. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Trailers Aug 26, 2011, 11:14 Tumbler

Also, it looks kind of amateurish to me. Moreso than the original CS. Models, particularly for weapons, and animations seem a bit off for me.

Obviously not trying to reinvent the wheel, which is why I'm so critical. I'm just not sure the point. I guess even CS:S is ancient at this point, but this doesn't seem much better. Looks like a moderately more detailed, slightly less polished CS:S with a far more annoying UI.

I think they are simply trying to make it more like CoD. It looks a lot more like it and the radial wheel menu will obviously help players with a controller to pick what they want between rounds.

CS:GO is trying to compete with CoD. The cross platform part on ps3 is the most interesting part of this. I'm curious to see how the game is playing against people on a mouse and keyboard. I don't care if I get owned all the time...I'll suck it up and keep playing if I'm having fun.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

2. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Trailers Aug 26, 2011, 11:09 Beamer

Also, it looks kind of amateurish to me. Moreso than the original CS. Models, particularly for weapons, and animations seem a bit off for me.

Obviously not trying to reinvent the wheel, which is why I'm so critical. I'm just not sure the point. I guess even CS:S is ancient at this point, but this doesn't seem much better. Looks like a moderately more detailed, slightly less polished CS:S with a far more annoying UI.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Trailers Aug 26, 2011, 11:04 Beamer

Part of the reason I quit CS back in, what, 2002, was Dust. I was so damn sick of Dust. Can we stop with Dust?

How about Docks? War Torn Retirement Home?

When I played CS:S a lot I had about 5 versions of Assault on my HDD. Played the crap out of all of them. Liked them far more than Dust.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo