Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE "Gearhead Vault" Trailer

The Bethesda Blog now offers a new Gearhead Vault Gameplay Trailer from RAGE, id Software's upcoming first-person shooter. The clip outlines a quest the player accepts to liberate some "plutonium feltrite" (not to be confused with the red key) from a bank vault. The clip shows a bunch of combat, including the assistance of some helpful sentry bots, and an object lesson in the dangers of wearing explosive tanks one's back during combat.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: RAGE "Gearhead Vault" Trailer Aug 26, 2011, 21:25 reisub

Was it played with a controller? I hope so. I dunno, from id I expect a bit more dynamism. Looks slow and ponderous. Seemed he could actually move when he wanted to though, just chose not to, so here's hoping.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: RAGE Aug 26, 2011, 20:18 Sempai

cronik wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 19:15:
Sempai wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 15:23:
Sho wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 09:32:
Yknow, I'm with you, I really am, but besides LA Noire(which is cutting edge tech)what games out there really have decent facial/dialogue interaction?

HL2 was how many years ago?

Well..I can't argue that at all.

I stand corrected.

22. Re: RAGE Aug 26, 2011, 19:15 cronik

Sempai wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 15:23:
Yknow, I'm with you, I really am, but besides LA Noire(which is cutting edge tech)what games out there really have decent facial/dialogue interaction?

HL2 was how many years ago?

21. Re: RAGE Aug 26, 2011, 15:23 Sempai

They still haven't figured out how to make decent animations in dialog cutscenes - the quest giver in the beginning talks in slow motion, it's off-putting :).

20. Re: RAGE Aug 26, 2011, 15:18 Sempai

Dades wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 07:10:
Sempai wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 04:25:
I thought John said they weren't releasing tools for mods?

They aren't releasing them separately, they're built into the game. You bring down the console and type id studio and you have access to every single tool id uses.

Ah, very cool indeed.

19. Re: RAGE "Gearhead Vault" Trailer Aug 26, 2011, 10:59 Alamar

I am happy to be alive : )

I grew up with FPS graphics advancing, CGI advancing, etc... I remember when that pic people like to make fun of, of Unreal's awesome graphics, and yes, I remember them being awesome, even if I look with digust now...

But holy crap, other than the awkwardness of movement, real-time rendering is nearly there... I mean, sure, in 10 years, I may be saying the same thing with the next-next-next generation of quality, but even so, I'm happy to be alive : )

-Alamar

18. Re: RAGE Aug 26, 2011, 09:55 DrEvil

There are definately pickups in Rage  

17. Re: RAGE Aug 26, 2011, 09:53 Acleacius

Sempai wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 01:25:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 23:22:
First, what the fuck is "game depth content?" Are you expecting world of warcraft out of Id or do you want Oblivion? You can grab that in Nov, as for Rage not having "game depth content" again, what is it you want out of an Id produced 1rst person shooter?
Well, if it's really that hard for you to figure out try this, it's opposite of doom3 game content. You know mindless, go in a room, lights go off, mobs attack, pick up health pack, then repeat for 20 hours. NOW they added, quests. How very thoughtful of them.

Do you want squad based combat like BF3? Wrong game bud. It sounds like your expectations are a bit misaligned with what Rage is going for.
Anyone who's ever played an Id game knows this is right in line with what they produce and probably will always produce.
Lol, that's sort of the point. I never said anything about gameplay, did I. This is about the shallow dept of their worlds and writing since doom3. It wouldn't have been unfair to criticize them for their early games, depth.

Fibrocyte wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 07:39:
Good grief - how did you manage to even get 'bluesnews.com' in your browser's URL bar being as confused as you are?
Apparently the same way as you, shocking isn't it. You didn't bother to make an actual point, not much use in wasting more than a sentence or two here, right sparky?

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

16. Re: RAGE "Gearhead Vault" Trailer Aug 26, 2011, 09:32 Sho

They still haven't figured out how to make decent animations in dialog cutscenes - the quest giver in the beginning talks in slow motion, it's off-putting :).  

15. Re: RAGE Aug 26, 2011, 08:55 coldcut

Fibrocyte wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 07:39:
Good grief - how did you manage to even get 'bluesnews.com' in your browser's URL bar being as confused as you are?

Maybe with the help of a bookmark, preceded by a Google search (which is capable of a very potent fuzzy search).

14. Re: RAGE "Gearhead Vault" Trailer Aug 26, 2011, 07:40 Sux

Looks like fun.
No matter how they spice up the action with the gadgets, this obviously console version just has no pace with its turret aim, for any sense of excitement as a trailer.

13. Re: RAGE Aug 26, 2011, 07:39 Fibrocyte

These guys are so far behind the curve on game depth content, it's laughable. They should have made this game 10 years ago, but didn't even figure out there needs to be others alive communicating with the player giving depth and substance, till what last year.

Anyone else remember the big fight at id before they decided to redo doom as doom3? There were people in the company (former owners and employees, iirc) that tried to tell these clueless clods, "No don't remake doom, we need to move on, instead of recycling our vacant game designs, again"?

Quests? Huh, WTF are quests?

Speaking of quests, did anyone notice how ridiculously it was presented (this actually assumes it's a better quest) in the video? If the guy wants the plutonium and the only way is guns blazing (id game, right?), then why send just the player? Wouldn't he stand a better chance of getting it and part of the loot recovered, if The Mayor, sent some of his boys along.

Did these guys even hire a writer this time? Maybe there will actually be more than one voice actor for this game. Hell, Bethesda has six they used for all of Oblivion and at least they had real women doing female voices.

12. Re: RAGE Aug 26, 2011, 07:38 Fibrocyte

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 21:23:
Rosco wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 21:19:
Delicious!

Yup. The only thing I am questioning....is that I don't see any pickups happening...when you go over a character that is dead, there is no ammo pickup or weapon pickup. Anyone have an info on this?

WHAT! No pickups?? No Sale!

11. Re: RAGE Aug 26, 2011, 07:10 Dades

Sempai wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 04:25:

They aren't releasing them separately, they're built into the game. You bring down the console and type id studio and you have access to every single tool id uses.

10. Re: RAGE "Gearhead Vault" Trailer Aug 26, 2011, 04:25 Sempai

9. Re: RAGE "Gearhead Vault" Trailer Aug 26, 2011, 04:03 WyldKat

Meh, screw the haters, this game just looks like old-school FPS fun with some cool stuff like RPG elements, vehicle combat, and large open world tossed in.

Also pretty stoked it's coming with all the tools you need to make your own levels or total conversions. Already cooking up a fun team vs team gamemode/map.

Excited that online isn't just deathmatch but also coop and vehicle combat/racing.

Will definitely hold me over till Skyrim, probably even longer if the online is good. Knowing id it will be.

8. Re: RAGE Aug 26, 2011, 01:25 Sempai

These guys are so far behind the curve on game depth content, it's laughable. They should have made this game 10 years ago, but didn't even figure out there needs to be others alive communicating with the player giving depth and substance, till what last year.

Anyone else remember the big fight at id before they decided to redo doom as doom3? There were people in the company (former owners and employees, iirc) that tried to tell these clueless clods, "No don't remake doom, we need to move on, instead of recycling our vacant game designs, again"?

Speaking of quests, did anyone notice how ridiculously it was presented (this actually assumes it's a better quest) in the video? If the guy wants the plutonium and the only way is guns blazing (id game, right?), then why send just the player? Wouldn't he stand a better chance of getting it and part of the loot recovered, if The Mayor, sent some of his boys along.

Did these guys even hire a writer this time? Maybe there will actually be more than one voice actor for this game. Hell, Bethesda has six they used for all of Oblivion and at least they had real women doing female voices.

First, what the fuck is "game depth content?" Are you expecting world of warcraft out of Id or do you want Oblivion? You can grab that in Nov, as for Rage not having "game depth content" again, what is it you want out of an Id produced 1rst person shooter?

Do you want squad based combat like BF3? Wrong game bud. It sounds like your expectations are a bit misaligned with what Rage is going for.
Anyone who's ever played an Id game knows this is right in line with what they produce and probably will always produce.

7. Re: RAGE Aug 25, 2011, 23:22 Acleacius

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

6. Re: RAGE Aug 25, 2011, 23:00 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 21:23:
Rosco wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 21:19:
Delicious!

Yup. The only thing I am questioning....is that I don't see any pickups happening...when you go over a character that is dead, there is no ammo pickup or weapon pickup. Anyone have an info on this?

I'm pretty sure I've seen that before in one of the other videos?

It seems in this video the horrible auto-aim is gone, as several times the sniper misses by a few pixels and does no damage (as opposed to previous videos where he missed by frakking inches and the guy's head exploded), so that's awesome.

On the flipside, id sure loves their bullet sponges. Buckshot into guy's side, buckshot into guy's side, turret sentry firing continuous rain of lead into guy, and he's still standing. Rolleyes

That's not even mentioning the armored dudes at the end, who take three rockets to the face and happily keep standing.

Creston

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 2011, 23:21.

5. Re: RAGE "Gearhead Vault" Trailer Aug 25, 2011, 22:32 Sempai

I can't put my finger on it but part of me thinks parts look a bit rough, but the textures and enemy animations look wonderful, the spider bots looked a bit..stiff, but maybe this is me being nitpicky.

Would really like to know what kind of hardware they're running this on, they never mention this in gameplay videos and yet I feel it's very relevant.

Oh well.

Cannot wait to get my hands on this.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo