Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Square "Respects the Right of GameStop" to Remove OnLive Coupons

Kotaku has a statement from Square Enix on GameStop's removal of OnLive coupons from the retail Windows edition of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Eidos Montreal's action/RPG prequel. Here's word on the situation from the game's publisher:

"As part of Deus Ex: Human Revolution's boxed offering on PC, Square Enix included a third party coupon", says a statement released by the publisher. "GameStop was not made aware of this inclusion and Square Enix respects the right of GameStop to have final say over the contents of products it sells and to adjust them where they see fit in accordance with their policies."

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 21:50 Wowbagger_TIP

Square is retarded for saying that GS can alter the product as they see fit. Whoever said that should be fired immediately. That said, anybody that shops at GameStop deserves what they get.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 20:48 talmand

Personally, I don't buy anything from Gamestop anyway so I could care less.

But I find it amusing that Gamestop's solution to a vendor screwing them over by including a coupon for a competitor without telling them up front is to screw over their customers by removing said coupon, which lowers the value of the product, without telling their customers.

Seems there should something said about the practice of opening an unsealed product, removing a portion of the product, resealing the product and then selling it as "new".

But then again, it is Gamestop, they've been treating their customers as suckers for years now.

37. Re: Corporate Ass. Aug 25, 2011, 19:24 Dev

The Relentless wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 15:18:
Is there a way for me to download the install packs to store locally so I can install the game whenever I want without having to ever use Impulse again? If so, I will gladly do so.
I dunno, but I'm going to look into getting all my impulse games downloaded so I can back them up.

36. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 19:20 Dev

LOL what? Why are they saying gamestop wasn't aware of this what with the old news stories saying it was a gamestop exclusive? And who says gamestop should have a say over the contents of stuff it sells? Having a say in WHAT it sells sure, but the contents itself?

Square Enix is just caving and sucking up to gamestop to get them to stock the game, and they either aren't bothering to research the facts, or they don't care, they just want to kiss butt.

35. Re: Corporate Ass. Aug 25, 2011, 17:03 Tumbler

Is there a way for me to download the install packs to store locally so I can install the game whenever I want without having to ever use Impulse again? If so, I will gladly do so.

Rarely do I have nerd-rage, but this is just ridiculous.

The original discs of Galactic Civ 2 should still install and run the game, using Impulse was optional but that was basically the only way to get updates. It would be like if Deus Ex worked when you got it home but in order to update it or get online at all you had to register it on steam and go from there.

Impulse was a good compromise for consumers but it didn't have the content to make people use it like Steam did.

I'd expect this to change very soon though...Gamestop didn't buy Impulse to just let it sit there and die. If a PC version of a game is coming out you'll start seeing an Impulse Versions offered as well as steam. I would guess that promotion of games through gamestop in 2012 is being contracted carefully so there are incentives to use impulse on multiplatform games. 360,PS3,Steam,Impulse.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

34. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 15:45 MrBone

This looks like the whole Steam/EA thing all over again.  

33. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 15:21 Mashiki Amiketo

Beamer wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 10:49:
What was Square going to do? Not have their game sold at the biggest video game retailer in the US?
You mean walmart? Or bestbuy? I'll be more gamers buy games there, than at GS these days.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

32. Re: Corporate Ass. Aug 25, 2011, 15:18 The Relentless

headkase wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 10:58:
I already don't buy from Gamestop or their store in my area: EB Games.

Why? From the anemic PC games section they have and the huge "used" console sections it's obvious how they make their money. I stopped buying from them ages ago. Then Impulse was sold to them. I have Galactic Civilizations II and both expansions on that: it's the only way to get them. I also bought those previous to Impulse's sale. Future purchases from Impulse? Not going to happen.

Gamestop may have been able to get away with this contractually, but you know what? I'm not contractually required to purchase a damned penny from them.

Same here. I even used to work at Software Etc. in '94 back when the 486/66 was the king of the processors. The walls/shelves were stocked full of PC titles and there were small sections here and there for Genesis, SNES and even 3DO. 16MB of ram was ~$200 and a 500MB HD was ~$500.

They lost my business the day Steam went live, mainly because I am lazy and don't like to come out of the basement. I was still buying used games for Gamecube and Wii, but this has made me not want to do even that now.

I also bought the GalCiv II games/expansions on Impulse,long before it was sold to Gamestop. In fact I just learned it was owned by them when I went to install the games for the first time in a long time last week.

Rarely do I have nerd-rage, but this is just ridiculous.

31. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 15:07 Krovven

SimplyMonk wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 13:19:
That being said, I don't really see how OnLive is a "Direct" competitor to the Impulse service.

Kotaku has a screenshot of the email sent out to store managers telling them to pull the stock etc. What was interesting is that GameStop states that the OnLive code is in direct competition to their own cloud based service they are developing, Spawn Labs Cloud Gaming Division.

Kotaku story link

30. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 14:38 ^Drag0n^

headkase wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 12:53:
Slashdot is running this story too:

Linky

Favorite comment? (what are they): "They're an upscale specialized pawnshop that happens to sell new games on the side."

Yup, that's Gamestop, EB Games.

That, my friend, is Quote of the Year material.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

29. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 13:50 Verno

It's a shame all of this is overshadowing what a kickass game Deus Ex: HR is.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

28. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 13:37 headkase

If there was a prior agreement forbidding Square from distributing On-Live codes then that's that.

However, if there wasn't, and I am not a lawyer: I'm asking not stating so, does On-Live have a case of "tortious interference"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tortious_interference

27. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 13:35 SimplyMonk

Ruffiana wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 13:24:
As long as Gamestop's bread & butter is from leeching money out of the console market through used game sales, no single publisher or conglomerate of publishers of new PC games will change their practices.

EA and Activision-Blizzard do supply enough of their console market though where I think if there was a threat that the next Modern Warfare or Madden didn't appear on GameStop shelves new or available for pre-order GameStop would take pause and listen. Very unlikely scenario though as it would hurt the publishers most likely more than it hurts GS.

Regardless though, your point is very valid.

It is completely within the publisher's power however to kill the secondary market. The customer lash-back as well as the retailer lash-back isn't something they can afford to endure at the moment until digital becomes the dominate format (at least 75% of their sales). Impulse is GameStop's effort to at least have something if that trigger ever gets pulled. The DLC codes and One-Time Network Activation codes are warning shots of this already.

26. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 13:34 briktal

It sounds more to me like Square Enix is saying they screwed up.  

25. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 13:24 Ruffiana

SimplyMonk wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 13:19:
Square-Enix isn't a big enough publisher to push GameStop around like that. Would require EA or Activision-Blizzard to make GameStop bend. That being said, I don't really see how OnLive is a "Direct" competitor to the Impulse service. OnLive's service to me is only desirable when my PC doesn't have the power (but has massive amounts of bandwidth) to play a specific title.

Other than that one case, why would I want to bother playing a single player game who's raw performance is dependent on my internet connection on a service that has a finite limit on my license to play a game that I payed full price for? Maybe if I didn't have a 360 and PS3 their TV hook-up would be more appealing.

This move by GameStop suprises me as the only person this really hurts is OnLive and themselves. OnLive isn't really big enough to matter much in the industry, but I guess GameStop is willing to suffer more damage to its tarnished reputation in order to keep OnLive small.

As long as Gamestop's bread & butter is from leeching money out of the console market through used game sales, no single publisher or conglomerate of publishers of new PC games will change their practices.

Just not a big enough piece of their revenue stream for them to care about.

24. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 13:22 Ray Marden

Well, Square needs Lamestop a lot more than it needs a questionable streaming service.

This is all the more reason for people to stop making any purchases at Lamestop, but the reality is that few people care outside of OnLive. then again, OnLive got Lamestop to so overreact to an unknown (to many casual console players) company so maybe it still got some nice advertising out of this.

Wondering if I mentioned that I hate Lamestop yet,
Ray 'Cuz I do. I hate Lamestop. Where are my PC games? Why are they open?

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

23. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 13:22 Halo

That's why I use Amazon. Gamestop is more of a 7-11 of games for me. Or digging for cheap but amazing ps2 games.  

22. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 13:19 SimplyMonk

Square-Enix isn't a big enough publisher to push GameStop around like that. Would require EA or Activision-Blizzard to make GameStop bend. That being said, I don't really see how OnLive is a "Direct" competitor to the Impulse service. OnLive's service to me is only desirable when my PC doesn't have the power (but has massive amounts of bandwidth) to play a specific title.

Other than that one case, why would I want to bother playing a single player game who's raw performance is dependent on my internet connection on a service that has a finite limit on my license to play a game that I payed full price for? Maybe if I didn't have a 360 and PS3 their TV hook-up would be more appealing.

This move by GameStop suprises me as the only person this really hurts is OnLive and themselves. OnLive isn't really big enough to matter much in the industry, but I guess GameStop is willing to suffer more damage to its tarnished reputation in order to keep OnLive small.

21. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 13:03 Shagwood

Creston wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 10:54:
Again, people, vote with your wallet. Simply never buy another game from Gamestop. They'll eventually go bankrupt anyway, since their foray into DD has been pathetically laughable. (as in, they haven't done shit shit with Impulse since they bought it.)

Creston

ALWAYS vote with your wallet. Why anybody still gives money to ANY B&M dinosaur is beyond me...especially if they are not evolving with the times. Which I have yet to see one barely try.

20. Re: Square Aug 25, 2011, 12:53 headkase

Slashdot is running this story too:

Linky

Favorite comment? (what are they): "They're an upscale specialized pawnshop that happens to sell new games on the side."

Yup, that's Gamestop, EB Games.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo