Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution

GameStop has stopped selling the copies of the standard edition of Deus Ex: Human Revolution they opened to in order to remove OnLive codes from Eidos Montreal's action/RPG prequel, reports CNN Money. The article says the game retailer is also refusing to sell sealed copies either, as they are seemingly insisting that Square Enix send them copies of the game without the code to play the game on the cloud-based service, and Kotaku has a copy of the mail telling GameStop store managers to pull the game from the shelves which states: "As GameStop is developing a streaming service in our Spawn Labs Cloud Gaming Division, the coupon that was included is for a competitive service. We are returning all copies of the regular edition to the vendor in agreement with Square Enix." They are, however, continuing to sell the game via digital distribution. There has been speculation about the legality of removing these codes, and articles on IndustryGamers and Wired (thanks Mike Martinez) each quote lawyers on the topic, saying that it is possible that this could result in lawsuits, but in each case speculating that such litigation would probably not be successful.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

13. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 24, 2011, 21:19 Dev

Gamestop VP:

ZOMG! That first bad decision I made to pull the coupons was a bad one, so lets follow it up with a worse one! I like spamming company wide emails on a spur of the moment decision by just me without consultation of anyone with a clue, so lets do another!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 24, 2011, 21:13 Valcor

"This business will get out of control..."  

11. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 24, 2011, 21:05 ViRGE

Cram wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 20:44:
Haven't shopped at EB or Gamestop for a couple years for PC or Console games, ever since they started taking the shrink wrap off the games. That shrink wrap isn't on there, then it isn't new.
I would be genuinely surprised if a large number of people were still using Gamestop for PC games, considering that their physical inventory is next to nothing. However they're harder to avoid for console games.

10. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 24, 2011, 21:03 Fang

But but but... OnLive breaks the laws of physics! The coupon is a lie!  

9. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 24, 2011, 20:48 Krovven

I still get most of my console games from the local EB Games. Usually it's launch day so they just have a box they are pulling from and everything still has the factory shrink wrapping on it. I won't ever buy an opened "new" game from them anymore. I've seen and heard things.

8. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 24, 2011, 20:44 Cram

Haven't shopped at EB or Gamestop for a couple years for PC or Console games, ever since they started taking the shrink wrap off the games. That shrink wrap isn't on there, then it isn't new.  

7. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 24, 2011, 20:41 Krovven

Square has to maintain a relationship with GameStop. OnLive on the other hand...

We'll see. While I still believe they (particularly OnLive) have grounds for anti-trust, I dont think it would ever get that far. Something like this can and probably will be settled amongst the 3 of them. Or if it did go to court, I think they'd settle before a judgement was ever made. Really depends on whether anyone makes any stupid decisions while they work this out.

6. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 24, 2011, 20:37 meezookeewee

Kobalt wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 20:28:
Really hope gamestop goes under, one of the most shady companies out there.

They also treat their customers like shit. And while some of the customers are dumb-asses, you shouldn't actually tell them that when they're standing in front of you and other people. I've been telling my friends to not go to GameStop, even for used games. You get a better deal on Amazon. And yes, my last experience at GameStop was NOT a positive one. So, yeah: Fuck GameStop.

5. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 24, 2011, 20:28 Kobalt

And not a single fuck was given on that day.

I was actually expecting square to force gamestop to take the game off the shelves, doubt they would miss much. Probably sell mostly at walmart. Well, guess they would have less used copies perhaps that square wouldn't even make any money off of.

Really hope gamestop goes under, one of the most shady companies out there.

4. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 24, 2011, 20:28 DangerDog

They really shouldn't have gone there, OnLive is a crappy service and less than 1% of the people buying the game would even play the game through it.  

3. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 24, 2011, 20:27 Krovven

Kotaku has a screenshot of the email sent out to store managers telling them to pull the stock etc. What was interesting is that GameStop states that the OnLive code is in direct competition to their own cloud based service they are developing, Spawn Labs Cloud Gaming Division.

Kotaku story link

2. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 24, 2011, 20:22 sauron

Hmm. Gamestop - fading high street retailer with a poor reputation and limited resources. Square Enix - historically one of the world's largest game publishers, albeit with a shaky recent history.

If I had to put my money on one set of lawyers? Probably SE. Suspect they don't exactly cut any corners. Just heads.

Kittens!

1. Re: GameStop Stops Selling Physical Copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 24, 2011, 20:14 nin

And yet they'll sell you a steam code, after buying impulse...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo